mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Best Way to Access Mid Mountain

I'm coming through PC in a few days on my way to SW Utah with several hours on my hands and always wanted to do mid mountain trail. I know PC fairly well in winter and have seen parts of the mid mountain so I kind of know what I am getting into.

My issue is that I live at 2000 feet and because of work obligations, have hardly been on the bike in the last few weeks. (i.e. climbing at 7000-8000 feet is going to have me coughing up a lung) Therefore I hope to limit climbing too much to access the trail and limit road riding back at 6500 feet. I hope to go from Silver Lake Base to Canyons to achieve that. Question is - should I leave my car at Canyons or SL and how do I get from Canyons to SL without riding. It seems that the buses aren't runnig this time of year and taxi is really expensive (over $60 on the website I was looking at -??)

Anyone have any suggestions or other strategies?

Thanks all

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Mid-Mountain access....

I think you have several options to think about for your quest to ride Mid-Mountain. First, I think the busses run year round in Park City. Starting at Silver Lake is the best bet if you don't want to climb to mid-mountain. Then catch a bus back. You have already thought of that. If the bus doesn't run I would park at Park City Mountain Resort and pedal up to Silver Lake to catch Mid-Mountain to the Canyons. You can bail down Spiro back to your car if you have had enough but once past Spiro you have to go to the Canyons to exit Mid-Mountain. You can then ride the bike path back to your car. You could also start at PCMR and ride up Armstrong to Mid-Mountain. It is a one way trail (up only) and is a nice grade. Even with little conditioning you could ride this up in about an hour to mid mountain. Some of the locals do it in 30 minutes or less. You can then ride to the canyons and ride back on the bike path to you car. I hope this helps. For more info your best bet would be to contact one of the local bike shops. I have always found the folks at White Pine to be super friendly and helpful.

Paste eater
    Take the bust up to Silver Lake or Empire Pass(?), Then ride out MM until you feel you've had enough and then head down the hill to town. I'm no expert on PC, but there are all sorts of DH options to town off MM.

One thing tho, if you take MM all the way down to the Canyons, it's a decent road pedal back up to PC proper. Then again, you can hop on the bus again

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Silverlake and empire busses aren't running. But the Canyons gondola is running on the weekends. A one ride gondola is cheaper than the taxi.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I like riding the other direction....so that I end up at Deer Vallery in the end.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    I definitely prefer the south to north direction on Midmountain but both are really good (think I like this way to bomb down the rocky Iron Mountain sections). I'd give PCMR a call and see if the town lift is still running, normally it runs through much of the fall. It's super slow but great scenery on the way up, especially with leaves changing and they'll take bikes up. I think it's something like $10 for a 30 minute ride up and it dumps you off really close to mid mountain trail. From there you could ride all the way to the Canyons and decend Hollys or Ambush and the pedal back to town is pretty mellow on the bike path. I assume the in town busses are still running from Canyons to PC as well if you're not up for the pedaling back.

http://www.parkcitymountain.com/summ...s-of-operation
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cincokid View Post
    You could also start at PCMR and ride up Armstrong to Mid-Mountain. It is a one way trail (up only) and is a nice grade. Even with little conditioning you could ride this up in about an hour to mid mountain. Some of the locals do it in 30 minutes or less. You can then ride to the canyons and ride back on the bike path to you car.
    This seems like the best bet, logistically, if the buses aren't running.

mtbr member
    The Silver Lake bus is definitely not running nor are the Deer Valley lifts so right now there's really no option to get to Silver Lake without a private vehicle or pedaling up Deer Crest.

Taking either the Payday or Town Lift at PCMR (running through Oct 7th) will get you within spitting distance of Midmountain. That slices off 4-5 miles of Midmountain, but gets you to 8000+ feet without a pedal stroke, but still leaves you with about a 20 mile ride.

When you descend the Canyons and hit the main road (Hwy 224), catch the shuttle bus headed back to Park City or pedal the 4~ish miles back on the bike path. It's a pretty mellow ride.

Check the weather in Park City before you commit. It's stormy now but will probably be clear and good by later this week and weekend.

Have fun.

dedicated beater
    May 2009
    What's up with accessing MidMountain from Gorgoza? I noticed on the Mtn. Trails foundation site that there is trail that goes all the way through from Ambush to Arcylon, but wasn't/isn't a lot of that private and off-limits?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ski_adk View Post
    What's up with accessing MidMountain from Gorgoza? I noticed on the Mtn. Trails foundation site that there is trail that goes all the way through from Ambush to Arcylon, but wasn't/isn't a lot of that private and off-limits?
    It can be done crossing roads...it's a bit obscure. Once you get to the point where you climb something like 30 switchbacks in the Pinebrook area, you can catch the connectors down to the bottom of Pinebrook near the grocery store .

mtbr member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ski_adk View Post
    It can be done crossing roads...it's a bit obscure. Once you get to the point where you climb something like 30 switchbacks in the Pinebrook area, you can catch the connectors down to the bottom of Pinebrook near the grocery store .
    Yup, it's obscure. Those are technically private trails and are not posted on public maps for that reason. That's according to Todd over at Skidmap.com , who makes the map that is on the Mtn. Trails site.

I did a ride in June that started at the Jeremy Ranch exit and climbed all the way to Midmountain. There were a lot of obscure turns that needed an experienced guide to not get lost on.