Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Best tires for Moab & surrounding area

I'm heading to Moab in a week or so & was hoping i could get some tire recommendations. What works and doesn't would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I emailed a couple shops in Moab asking them the same question as we are planning a trip down there in about 2 weeks. Both shops recommended the moto raptor 2.4's because they performed well and were cheap to get ahold of.

My guess is the sandstone down there will chew up soft compound tires pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by mtn_man2
    I'm heading to Moab in a week or so & was hoping i could get some tire recommendations. What works and doesn't would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddM
    I emailed a couple shops in Moab asking them the same question as we are planning a trip down there in about 2 weeks. Both shops recommended the moto raptor 2.4's because they performed well and were cheap to get ahold of.

My guess is the sandstone down there will chew up soft compound tires pretty quick.
    That was exactly what I needed. Thanks for helping me out. Have a good trip too.

Owner
    You could always try slicks if you're riding slickrock. Might add a little more fun to it.
    [SIZE=2]XC MTB + XC-T&F[/SIZE]

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by thereal-jekyllman
    You could always try slicks if you're riding slickrock. Might add a little more fun to it.
    If skidding on sandy patches is your idea of fun - then yes.

Me think there is enough sand to warrant at least some knobs and decent volume.

mtbr member
    I've never run it but several rave about the 2.5 Weirwolf up front with a 2.4 Motoraptor in back. I've got a Weirwolf coming later this week that I'll try with a Nokian NBX (currently running these front and rear with good success) and a Geax Sturdy. Another popular tire choice is to run the Maxxis Mobster (front specific) 2.3 tire front and rear. Also, as rough as the terrain is in Moab don't be surprised to leave with a few less tires than you came with. Torn sidewalls, ripped off knobs, and just plain worn out tires are all common.
    Last edited by CrashTheDOG; 03-02-2004 at 03:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Tires

I've heard that the Moto raptors and Mutano (sp?) raptors are popular there. Thos tires also come in 2.24 size if the 2.4's are too big for your bike. Me and my bud both ran Panaracer Fire XC pros in 2.1 size and they worked great.

mtbr member

and for tubeless

Any thoughts? I'm heading to Utah in early April. Have some Hutchinson Pythons that are all but dead and looking for something a bit more durable. I'm out in North Carolina

shaved yeti

Moab tires?

I've run all sorts of different tires in moab. 1.95 Wormdrives to 2.6 Gazzalodi's. They all work, and work pretty well. It isn't too hard for any tire to connect with gritty sandstone, and most tires work decent in the loose (or dust) over hardpack.

In the sand and drops, naturally you'd want a fatter tire, so if you're planning on riding something a little more technical, you'll want to go a little fat or run lower pressure. On my wormdrives I ran 25 psi.

Overall, 2.4 Moto and Mutanos work great, so do 2.1s and 2.24s
    2.35 Highroller and Mobster combos work great too. NBX's are a go...

I tend to like something with a little more sidewall protection.

Long story short, buy whatever tire you want in the 1.95-2.6 range and you'll be happy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    as bonkey says, pretty much anything works, but imho, the bigger the better. a 2.4" tire at fairly low pressure will stick to rocks pretty well, and allow you to ride some technical stuff you wouldn't have thought possible, plus they'll float better in the sand, and maybe save you some pushing. i think the 2.4 motoraptor would be a good choice at a reasonable price. my new bike has some 2.3 nokians, but i haven't had a chance to ride it yet with all the snow in ely. probably going to st george this weekend to ride, which i'm told has moabesque conditions, so i'll know more then.
    -mark

shaved yeti

Velo

Velo,

Be sure to come by and visit when you're in St. George. Desert Cyclery over on 514 Bluff St.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bonkey
    Velo,

Be sure to come by and visit when you're in St. George. Desert Cyclery over on 514 Bluff St.
    will do. i've never been there, so i need to get a good map of the local trails. i was thinking about hitting gooseberry mesa one day, and green valley/stucki springs the next.
    mw
    mark weaver
    kuna, id

mtbr member
    UPDATE: I just got back from Moab where I had a chance to throw a WTB Weirwolf 2.5 up front and a Geax Sturdy 2.3 on the rear of my Turner 5 Spot. I absolutely loved the combo (thanks Tscheezy!). So the next day just to make sure that it was the tires and not the 5 Spot, this is my first trip to Moab on a FS ride, I ran the Nokians and regretted it all day. It isnít so much that they sucked as it was that they just werenít as good as the WTB/Geax combo. The knobs were spaced too far apart so on slickrock I had the dreaded tractor tire effect, and they were too narrow for sand, which we ended up riding quit a bit of on the access road to and from the trailhead and intermittently through the trail.

I by no means think that the WTB/Geax is the only good combo, the Motoraptor 2.4ís would be another, but I do think that generally the wider the better, up to a 2.5, and a more aggressive tire up front would be wise on trails that arenít a majority of slickrock, seeing as how if itís not slickrock itís going to be a very loose combination of sand and gravel. Also, like Bonkey mentioned, tire pressure will make a tire react very differently to a particular terrain type. Make sure you take a good trail pump with you and if youíre riding through sand lower your pressure down into the 20ís, and when you hit rocky terrain or slickrock bump it back up into the high 40ís.

mtbr platinum member

Moab tires

Just got back from Moab myself. I was using a 2.4" Motoraptor / 2.4" Mutanoraptor combo on my wife's Juliana as a 'confidence booster' on the loose terrain and rock drops. After the doubletrack on Porc Rim she said that the tires 'stuck like glue' made the terrain far more 'comfortable and controlled' than her normal Hutchinson Pythons on similar terrain.

This was coming from my wife who's first reaction to the 2.4" tires was, "Where did my light tires go? I don't want to lug those things around!"

It didn't take her long for her to comment that the 2.4's WTB's were a sweet combo on that terrain. I would have gone with something more aggressive on the back, but this was on her size small Juliana. Yes, the 2.4" Mutano was a tight fit, but it worked just fine (no rub, or front derailleur probs).

Oh, also, for Slickrock Trail I swapped her back to an old set of Pythons. They worked very well. I used a throw away pair of Ritchey Speedmax 2.0 tires, which worked horribly! The little knobs on the edges easily folded under hard cornering and traversing across angled rocks. I've had far better success using standard knobbies with high pressure.

-Ryan
    Last edited by bikerx40; 03-15-2004 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Added Slickrock suggestions
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerx40
    I was using a 2.4" Motoraptor / 2.4" Mutanoraptor combo on my wife's Juliana as a 'confidence booster' on the loose terrain and rock drops.
    That's the combo that Tscheezy was running on Barney's XCE. If not it was a 2.4" Mutanoraptors front and rear.

mtbr platinum member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    That's the combo that Tscheezy was running on Barney's XCE. If not it was a 2.4" Mutanoraptors front and rear.
    I wasn't implying that only chicks dig that setup

-Ryan
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Just got back from moab myself.

I tried out motoraptor 2.4's front/rear and was pretty impressed.

I also rode a 2.7/2.5 maxxis minon DH set and while they worked great on the slickrock they were scary in anything that was even remotely loose, much less some of the deep sand sections of slickrock.

I'd have liked to have tried my kenda nevegal/blue groove combo down there but they didn't arrive in time.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Another great old tire thread, thanks for the info everyone!

(Heading to the FFTF with a Moab side trip)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Motoraptors Rock Moab

My brother and followed the advice of posters in this thread and installed the 2.4 Motoraptors for our trip to Moab. If you want a tire with killer traction that can conquer the whole area then look no further.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergie
    Any thoughts? I'm heading to Utah in early April. Have some Hutchinson Pythons that are all but dead and looking for something a bit more durable. I'm out in North Carolina
    For tubeless XC/AM, I prefer Maxxis Highroller 2.35 R and Minion 2.35 F. I've been running that combo this year and highrollers last and have no complaints. I usually run 26-28 in front and 32 in back (psi). What's a pinch flat. . .

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Sidewall protection

What ever you use in Moab, don't go light on the sidewall protection. Many trails have sharp rocks just waiting to rip into your sidewall and ruin your day. Be prepared to fix sidewall rips no matter what you use. Dollar bills, PowerBar wrappers, pieces of tube, shoe insoles.....

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    I carry a few Park sidewall patches in my patch kit.

mtbr member
    How about for the 29er variety of tires?

I run Bonrager ACX's (stock on the Hi-Fi 29er) and plan on coming out for spring break.

Someone suggested a slicker tire, such as a SB8, but from the posts, it seems like an aggressive tire like my ACX would be perfect, but maybe not aggressive enough. Even though it is a mud tire.

Any suggestions from 29" wheeled riders?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by offroadfanatic
    How about for the 29er variety of tires?

I run Bonrager ACX's (stock on the Hi-Fi 29er) and plan on coming out for spring break.

Someone suggested a slicker tire, such as a SB8, but from the posts, it seems like an aggressive tire like my ACX would be perfect, but maybe not aggressive enough. Even though it is a mud tire.

I rode the centurion a couple years ago on a 29er using a Motoraptor rear and Exiwolf front with no problems. I think I only had 1 flat in the 86 mi. I did before I quit, which is pretty good for Moab.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by offroadfanatic
    Depends on the terrain. If you ONLY planned to do rides on slickrock, the SB8 would be awesome. But something like a Nevegal or Ignitor will be more fun in the loose gravel that makes up 90% of the other trails. Lots of volume is nice in Moab. It's a bumpy place.

JMH

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast