mtbr member

Best Salt Lake shop for wheel building?

Any suggestions as to which shop in Salt Lake has the best/very good wheel builder?

I have laced up a set of the "Chinese carbon rims" to Hope hubs. They just need to be tensioned/dished properly. Any recommendations as to which shop would be most reliable in terms of having them finish off the wheels properly?

I was thinking of going to the Canyons bicycle shop in Draper since I bought my road bike there, it is close to my work, and the wheel guy I spoke to last month seemed to know his stuff. But, I'm open to suggestions, both regarding shops and individuals within shops. (And who to avoid....that can be PM'd to me if necessary....)

Hoping to take them in tomorrow.

EDIT:.....Of course, I wouldn't mind learning and doing it myself. Lacing the wheels was a blast and it would be cool to finish them. Anybody have a tension meter and truing stand they want to share/lend to a fellow Salt Lake rider?

Thanks
    Albert
    Last edited by albertdc; 08-23-2012 at 07:44 PM.

mtbr member
    I've had great experience at CycleSmith near the U of U for maintenance that I don't handle myself. Jason there built a wheel for me this spring after I wore out my existing one. He hooked up a Stans Arch to my existing King hub. The wheel has performed incredibly well. To say that they are the "best" would require having wheels built at every shop in town and then deciding. Not very realistic. But they do an excellent job.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by charcist View Post
    I've had great experience at CycleSmith near the U of U for maintenance that I don't handle myself. Jason there built a wheel for me this spring after I wore out my existing one. He hooked up a Stans Arch to my existing King hub. The wheel has performed incredibly well. To say that they are the "best" would require having wheels built at every shop in town and then deciding. Not very realistic. But they do an excellent job.
    Thank you.
    I found out that the Park Tool tension meter is reasonably priced. My brother is also building a set so we are buying that and will try to do it ourselves with the tension meter as a guide as well as using the "tone"/plucking method and a ghetto truing stand. Glad to get a good recommendation, though in case we come up against a road block with the DIY technique.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by albertdc View Post
    Thank you.
    I found out that the Park Tool tension meter is reasonably priced. My brother is also building a set so we are buying that and will try to do it ourselves with the tension meter as a guide as well as using the "tone"/plucking method and a ghetto truing stand. Glad to get a good recommendation, though in case we come up against a road block with the DIY technique.
    I have to say that the tension meter wouldn't be my first purchase in wheel building. Definitely a truing stand then a dishing gauge. If I had either I would probably offer to help because I have enjoyed building wheels in the past.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?