mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Best rides close to downtown SLC area?

My wife and I will be in town this weekend and we’re looking for a good trail or two, close to downtown SLC (within 20mi). Probably needs to be something beginner-intermediate so she’ll have fun. Any ideas?

Trail Prospector
    Meuller Park.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

wife friendly rides

1. Millcreek Pipeline. can be ridden as a loop, or out and back there is very little climbing

2. Muller park in Bountiful. Low techy but has a good climb. Not brutal but not easy
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Yes. Pipeline.

Millcreek Pipeline should be near the top of your list. I rode it today. There are 4 access points on the trail. I would suggest driving up to the 3rd (Burch Hollow). There is a gate past this point, but you can bike up the paved road another 2 miles (and 600 vertical feet) to the 4th point (Elbow Fork) and ride the trail back to Burch Hollow, or just start riding the trail from Burch Hollow. Either way, it's about 5.1 miles from Burch Hollow to the viewpoint at the western end of the trail. There are some ups and downs, but it's generally level. No major climbing. Turn around at the viewpoint and ride the trail back to your car.

It's ridiculously scenic. The viewpoint is 1500 feet above the valley floor, and some sections of the trail are almost 1000 feet above the canyon road. You feel way up there, but you're still about 3000 feet below the summit of Mt Olympus, which is close to the mouth of the canyon. There are some patches of loose rock and some exposure to big heights, but nothing technical. It should be fun for an intermediate rider, if you keep it under control.

You will need to pay a few dollars at the Forest Service fee station on your way out of the canyon. It's worth it.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the ideas guys. I think we're going to give Mueller park a go on Monday; possibly try Millcreek on sunday if I can escape the inlaws!