Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best places to car camp around Gooseberry/St G

5K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  shiggy 
#1 ·
Me and a buddy are drivinng from the Southeast to come and sample some ofyour western goodness. We will be there around 4/19-20. Could some of you guys give me an idea of where to camp near GM?
Thanks
B

G
#5 ·
Hello all

I to am going to be out for a visit from the Phoenix area. My rubber-tramp parents may meet us up on gooseberry mesa for a night or two of camping. Is the road out to the camping area in good enough shape for a 20' motor home to make it without serious damage? Thinking about 3/4 miles past the bathrooms.

Thanks-JF

#6 ·
jimfab said:
Hello all

I to am going to be out for a visit from the Phoenix area. My rubber-tramp parents may meet us up on gooseberry mesa for a night or two of camping. Is the road out to the camping area in good enough shape for a 20' motor home to make it without serious damage? Thinking about 3/4 miles past the bathrooms.

Thanks-JF
Depends on current road conditions and the driver. A few years ago I would have been reluctant to drive a Moho to the restroom.

G
#8 ·
cool Thanks!

I was there last fall, i was able to get my overloaded XB back there, i thought a motor home wold be rough, but doable.... with the right driver... pops is pretty good with that thing. Looks like they are not going to make it out for this one after all, they say that Mt. Whitney is calling. Next time for them.

Can anybody recommend a string of rides in the St. George area? I was checking on Bike Utah, a great resource. Looks like most of the must do trails are 6-10 miles long. Our group has about 6-8 hours of legs a day so it would be fun to hit a few in one day. The ZEN is tops on the list. The other days will be spent on the mesa.

Also.... If one to get a wild hair and wanted to do a short overnight bikepacking trip off the mesa, where would one go? I was thinking of trying to find a way north to the park boundary?

Cheers-JF

#9 ·
You could try

I just said that I would not do it. People drive toyota corollas out there all the time and I don't think I would do that either unless it was a rental. If the road gets graded this spring you will probably be fine. I just think there are better places to camp with a rig like that. The bottom of the Jem is good its right by the virgin river and its a good ride ride from camp.

#10 ·
jimfab said:
Hello all

Thanks-JF
Is it a rental with damage waiver?

If YES... go for it.

If No.... read this.

First there is the uphill section and two narrow (and rutted out) cattle guard crossings.

'Then depending on which way you turn at the bathroom you run into more issues. You can get to the windmill patrking lot but not past because there is a steep area where you will drag.. and damage the rig.

If you take white road (go right) at restrooms, that road is still pretty tore up but if they are careful tey can get a mile or so in.

Personally, I would not take my RV out there and beat the crap out of it.

#11 ·
jimfab said:
cool Thanks!

I was there last fall, i was able to get my overloaded XB back there, i thought a motor home wold be rough, but doable.... with the right driver... pops is pretty good with that thing. Looks like they are not going to make it out for this one after all, they say that Mt. Whitney is calling. Next time for them.

Can anybody recommend a string of rides in the St. George area? I was checking on Bike Utah, a great resource. Looks like most of the must do trails are 6-10 miles long. Our group has about 6-8 hours of legs a day so it would be fun to hit a few in one day. The ZEN is tops on the list. The other days will be spent on the mesa.

Also.... If one to get a wild hair and wanted to do a short overnight bikepacking trip off the mesa, where would one go? I was thinking of trying to find a way north to the park boundary?

Cheers-JF
You can put together lots of long rides.

The Hurricane Rim loop (Goulds, JEM, Hurkin Rim), all of Gooseberry, Little Creek Mesa...

The GRIT 50 race ( http://www.gropromotions.com/trueGRIT.html ) tied together a bunch of trails including Zen.

#12 ·
Pedalfaraway said:
I just said that I would not do it. People drive toyota corollas out there all the time and I don't think I would do that either unless it was a rental. If the road gets graded this spring you will probably be fine. I just think there are better places to camp with a rig like that. The bottom of the Jem is good its right by the virgin river and its a good ride ride from camp.
I drove my Civic out there. Took my time and picked my lines. Never scraped bottom. In some ways the full size van I have now would be tougher because of the longer wheelbase and rear overhang.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.