Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

Best Place to Live/Ride Year Round Utah

I'm not a snow guy. Did the wintersport thing for a few years and I'm spent.

I am however, a "ride out your back door" type of guy. Driving to trails sucks.

What it like to live/work/ride in Utah around places like Fruita,St George, Moab?

Most of my brief work experience is in government, but I can do just about anything. Girlfriend would help pay rent, but only if the place is warm year round.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Keep in mind that while St. George and Moab are great in winter, you are going to hate riding in summer unless you like 95+ degree weather and not a cloud in the sky. If hot doesn't bother you, either of those places would work, and if you're in Moab the LaSalles are <1 hour of driving. From St. George you'd need to drive a bit further to gain much elevation.

If you really want year-round good riding conditions you're going to have to either be willing to drive some or live closer to the equator, I think. Utah is far enough north that no matter where you live, there are going to be distinct seasons.

Fruita is in CO, btw.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Moab (and Fruita) are up on the Colorado plateau, and are not what I'd consider "warm" year-round. They don't get much snow, but that is only because they don't get much precip in general, and there are plenty of sunny (but cold) days to melt snow off between snowfalls at lower elevations. But average lows are well below freezing Nov. - Feb.

St. George is pretty much the only place in Utah you could call warm year round.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Walt is right about St. George summers. In the summer, I am usually the only person or car I see at the trailheads. Everyone else either wimps out or rides early in the morning. You get used to the heat, but you definitely can't do all day rides when it gets close to 100. In the summer I can easily suck down 3 liters of water in about 2 hours - and then you have to go back to the car or go home.

Spring, Fall are amazing weather. Winter is rideable here, but you are still going to get hit with some cold weather and even the occasional dusting of snow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm no Utah expert but have been vacationing there for 27 years now, both for skiing (no snowboarding) and MTB'ing. I've been to all the areas on your short list and have even talked with my wife about retiring (at age 50) to Hurricane (St George area) or Fruita. I won't work, except for fun/to stay busy, so that's not a big factor for me. Real estate to *buy* IMO is cheaper/more reasonable in Hurricane than Fruita. Hurricane has Vegas about 2 hours away which is a nice getaway place. Hurricane (and all of S/W Utah) definitely has that LDS factor going on. Doesn't bother me but it's a factor for some.

On the other hand, Fruita has a very cool, small town vibe that is hard to replicate and very genuine. It seems like it has one of those 'everybody knows everybody' kind of feels. A very small town for sure but GJ is literally right next door, Moab is 90 minutes away and major ski resorts are about 3 hours east. I don't think you can go wrong, I'd go wherever you can find work that will support your riding habit
    Last edited by k2rider1964; 11-20-2012 at 04:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Comfortable riding, for me, is between 40 and 85 degrees. Nowhere in Utah is one single place where daytime highs stay within these temps.

mtbr member
    Colorado Front Range.....I know it isn't Utah, but I have lived in both places and the Front Range is pretty mild. Yes we get snow, but far less on average then SLC....for example we are still riding everything up and down the Front Range right now......mid to upper 60's all week, not bad for November.

I ride pretty much all year, the only month this year I haven't been able to ride much dirt was February. Live in Golden and can ride right from the house with endless possibilities within an hour drive.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    The wife and I have been traveling all over Utah and Western Colorado doing biking, hiking and outdoor adventure seeking trips since 1995. We hit the hotspots, Park City (UT), the Wasatch- Uinta Mountains (UT), Flaming Gorge/Green River/Moab (UT), Grand Junction (CO), Durango (CO), Denver (CO), and St. George/Hurricane (UT)along with other areas multiple times. We found there is no comparison to the combination of raw natural beauty, recreational opportunities and access to all levels of creature comforts than the St. George/Hurricane area. This location has within a 20 mile radius access to multiple types of water sports, hikes and scenery that will amaze, canyoneering, rock climbing and rappelling for all levels of ability, atv trails and sand dune riding that will keep you grinning, some descent cultural events and a gorgeous outdoor amphitheater, beautiful golf courses if that is your thing, access to a trophy trout fishery at 8,100 ft. elevation only 35 miles from Hurricane, Brian Head Ski Resort is 75 miles north. The biking is darn good also. Multiple amazing places to go see within a 2-8 hour drive in all directions. So many new different outdoor opportunities, we decided to build a house in Hurricane two years ago. Hope to quit the insane life in front of a computer, living with half a million neighbors, and start a whole new recreation oriented work and lifestyle in about 5 years, if we can last that long.

Enjoy the following commercial promos…..and the beauty.
    St. George Utah Highlights - YouTube

EXTREME HIKING Angels Landing with the 7d - YouTube

St.George Utah Golf | Red Rock Golf Trail - Utah Courses and Hotels Much more here than Golf!

Joe's Guide to Zion National Park - Welcome!

All this within several hours drive northeast from Hurricane.
    Scenic Byway 12 Promotional Video - YouTube

Highway 12 Scenic Byway | Utah.com

mtbr member
    Agreed on St. G and Hurrikin...Moab does have darn chilly winters. That all said, if you have to make a living, move to Vegas. Year-round biking, fun trails, albeit more limited than UT, decent DH, and 2 hours proximity to the best riding in UT (St. G, Hurrikin, Virgin).

Making the move myself next Friday and am stoked! A big part of that is the opportunity to ride a lot more in SW UT.

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor Lord of Thunder View Post
    Agreed on St. G and Hurrikin...Moab does have darn chilly winters. That all said, if you have to make a living, move to Vegas. Year-round biking, fun trails, albeit more limited than UT, decent DH, and 2 hours proximity to the best riding in UT (St. G, Hurrikin, Virgin).

Making the move myself next Friday and am stoked! A big part of that is the opportunity to ride a lot more in SW UT.
    Look at the Flagstaff/Sedona area. IMO better trail system than Moab and St George (in sedona), and when its too hot/ too cold you can go to Sedona or Flagstaff. After Durango, Flagstaff will be my 2nd choice once my lease expires here in salt lake.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by While At Rome View Post
    Look at the Flagstaff/Sedona area. IMO better trail system than Moab and St George (in sedona), and when its too hot/ too cold you can go to Sedona or Flagstaff. After Durango, Flagstaff will be my 2nd choice once my lease expires here in salt lake.
    All true...have only pedaled in Flag (just hiked in Sedona), but would settle in Flag in a heartbeat if given the opportunity.

Bike Snob
    As per the OP's specific question; the StG is the one that fits all your req's.

People that don't live here love to complain about how hot it is. Spending a few days here on vacation is not the same as living here. We ride year round, get up early in the summer and ride later in the winter. If you can control your schedule even a little bit you will have no problems.

Riding to the trails is easy, I would recommend Santa Clara, Bloomington or the Green Valley area if you want to be really close, but there are lots of options and variation within driving distance.

There is a high enough population to get the services you need without that super touristy feel.

PS. don't live in Hurricane unless your girlfriend is also your sister.......I keed, I keed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    “Life is like a box of chocolates"………..I just eat all of them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by While At Rome View Post
    I don't know anything about the riding in Flagstaff but I've ridden at Sedona a few times and LOVE it but I think the trails out at St George/Virgin/Hurricane are better than Sedona's. Sedona's trail system is "more of the same" to me. I need variety which is why Fruita is so awesome....18 Road has the smooth, high speed, berm trails (which don't exist in Sedona) while Kokepelli has "epic" type loop trails and Lunch Loops has the "work you tail off chunk".

Paste eater
    As much as it pains me to say it, Southern California really has the best mountain bike friendly weather. Moderate temps all year round. Redeeming factors diminish after that :/

Sadly nothing in UT is particularly perfect year round. That being said, you can do a whole lot worse. This last year in Moab, we rode though the winter mainly in high 40's and low 50's. Then sun helps a lot. June-July-Aug is hot and really unmanageable with the exception of short early rides and late evening rides. Rides in the La Sals are are as close as 30 minutes and the western slope of colorado is super easy for weekend trips. I like the climate here. I think a lot of people might be bothered by the heat. Just as it starts to get a bit old, things cool of quite quickly - almost too quickly :/

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I don't know anything about the riding in Flagstaff but I've ridden at Sedona a few times and LOVE it but I think the trails out at St George/Virgin/Hurricane are better than Sedona's. Sedona's trail system is "more of the same" to me. I need variety which is why Fruita is so awesome....18 Road has the smooth, high speed, berm trails (which don't exist in Sedona) while Kokepelli has "epic" type loop trails and Lunch Loops has the "work you tail off chunk".
    Flagstaff is fast non slick rock N utah type riding 30 min away. There are fast flowy decents in sedona with berms and stuff, you just need to know where to find em

mtbr member
    May 2009
    We moved to Virgin (little town between Hurricane and Zion) and I can ride out to the Hurricane Cliffs system. We have trails at 9000+ feet within a little over an hour away and we can ride down in the lower desert areas at 2500 feet as well. This gives a very broad range of choices. Temps chage approx 6 degrees for every 1000 feet of elevation gained or lost. All you need to do is adjust your riding to follow the temps.

We ride all year and get out early in the hottest months...on trail by 7AM and off by 10:30AM or so and during August we have gone to Jackson WY and Idaho for the moth of August.

I have no idea what the job market is like here...I don't have to work besides my guiding business. Cost of living is moderate, housing is affordable and rents are affordable. Las Vegas is 130 miles away.

Its a good place to live and the folks here are by and large pretty easy going.

If you want to visit, PM me and I'll show you around when you do.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor Lord of Thunder View Post

HA! I moved [U]from[U] Las Vegas to the Wasatch Front thinking the exact same thing you do. I have the type of job where I can live anywhere and after 18 years in Vegas I was ready to make the change. There is a lot to be said for 300+ days of sun, but I love the mountains and seasons.

That is what makes the world go around-different strokes for different folks. Have fun in Vegas. If you live in the Summerlin/Westside area look at the Cottonwood trail system by Blue Diamond and the Cowboy Trails on SR-159. I spent too much time on those trails.....

Your Best Friend
    STT guy is also the coolest dude ever. Hook up with him and he'll show you the goods in the St. George area.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    STT guy is also the coolest dude ever. Hook up with him and he'll show you the goods in the St. George area.
    Well shucks....... Hey amigo..going to do my first CX race here in two weeks, I'm totally unprepared should be priceless! Im riding the new Focus Vomitron model......or at least that's what I named it
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts