mtbr member

best months for Moab + ...

May, June, July what's best?.
    Where do you stay? / rent bikes for maybe 3 days.
    I usually ride a HT for 8 years and can dig 40miles in a good day (not 3 in a row). Which trails for people that don't drop usualy more than 2 feet?.
    If I come with a friend should we go with a map or join a group?.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBonty
    May, June, July what's best?.
    Where do you stay? / rent bikes for maybe 3 days.
    I usually ride a HT for 8 years and can dig 40miles in a good day (not 3 in a row). Which trails for people that don't drop usualy more than 2 feet?.
    If I come with a friend should we go with a map or join a group?.
    Thanks
    Neither Months...you'll die of heat. March, April, October, first of November. You can rent good bikes from all the bike stores down there. But I like Spider and Slickrock Cycles the best. Porcupine Rim is an awesome trail. But if you do it on a hardtail, I wouldn't expect to have children afterwards. There's no big drops. There's one that's maybe 3 or 4 ft, but that's basically it. Poison Spider trail I hear is really good. But it's really long. Slickrock...of course. We camped, cheaper. Just ask all the guys at the shops how to get to the trails and stuff like that cuz they know easier was than most.
    Pain is only temporary...Glory lasts forever.

mtbr member
    I go out there twice a year. Mid to late April and mid to late September. Temps are usually in the mid 70's. It's just about perfect. Of course it can vary wildly too - I was out there one September, climbing out of Schaefer Canyon and my Polar watch registered over 106 degrees!

My fav place to stay - by FAR is the Westwood Guesthouse. If room space is optimized by a few fellow riders - the stay can be kept to a VERY affordable roughly $20/Person/Night. They also provide a well stocked full sized refrigerator with breakfast supplies (eggs, milk, pancake mix, bagels, butter, etc.) Full kitchen, hot tub, decks, a nice shady backyard. It's right around the corner from all the downtown action - walking distance to all the eateries and shops too.

There's even a spot out back with a garden hose handy to wash the bike and they'll provide towels to dry the bike so you don't use their bath towels!

http://www.moab-utah.com/westwood/guesthouse.html
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

the good names are taken
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Spjute
    Neither Months...you'll die of heat. March, April, October, first of November.
    Doh! I've gone in May before and it was darn hot during the day, but riding was good early morning or in the afternoon... What do the locals do in June? Is it still ridable if you ride early and late and get out of the sun during the heat of the day?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The lasal mountains are only about 20 minutes from moab and there's some great trails up there that you can ride anytime in the summer. Since the lasal mountains are so tall, the temps are pretty good up high (80-85 F) even in mid summer. There used to be a sweet dh trail up there ( Hazard County ) but I heard it got ripped down due to land issues.