mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Beginner to intermediate trails in the Salk Lake City area?

If things go as planned, I will be on my way through Utah in about three weeks. I'd like to stop in the Salt Lake area for 2 days of riding. Can anyone make any recommendations for some fun trails to ride without too much climbing? I'd describe my riding ability as somewhere between beginner and intermediate...the most technical terrain I've ridden in was Sedona Arizona, which was far more technical than anything I've seen in Nebraska!

Also, I've seen some good deals on hotels in the area - if you have a trail recommendation, it would be helpful if you could let me know what area of the city it is located close to (North, South, East or West) so I can choose a hotel that isn't too far from the trails. Best deals on hotels are in Cottonwood and the Sandy/South Valley/Draper areas.

And finally, are there any good areas to camp in within an hour North of the area? I'll be driving down from Nebraska and figured I'd camp someplace North of Salt Lake the first night.

Thanks for any advice you can give!
    Last edited by getagrip; 06-18-2013 at 02:27 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Check out Lambert Park in Alpine, UT for not a lot of climbing, but a fun trail system that you can make as long or short as you please. Corner Canyon in Draper has some great trails with a little more climbing required, but really not too bad depending on the route you take. Both are very close to the Sandy/Draper area. Check out Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs and The Skid Map for more details.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Millcreek Pipeline.

The Pipeline Trail in Millcreek Canyon basically parallels the canyon road and can be accessed at 4 places If you park at birch hollow which is the 3rd trailhead up the canyon on the northside. You can ride down the trail to the viewpoint and back with basically 0 climbing. I usually ride the trail as a loop because it cost $3 to drive car into the canyon. There are some parking spots in the canyon below the guard station, or you can park at Millcreek Bicycles which is in a shopping mall at the bottom of the canyon. Pedaling up the road to elbow fork and riding down the pipeline takes me a little more then an hour.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Got a map? Good. If you're coming from NE you're likely coming in on I-80. Evanston, WY is the last town in WY before you hit the Utah border. Find highway 150 heading south out of Evanston (it's either exit 5 or 6). Take that. It routes you through the Uinta Mts. and dumps you back near I-80 just east of Park City. It's much prettier than the interstate and has lots of great camping. There are campgrounds all along the road, there are many forest service dirt roads and most allow camping along them. An added bonus is that the smoother ones make nice evening bike ride options. Take lots of bug spray, the mosquitos are out this time of year.

mtbr member
    Check out Park City while you're in town. 300+ miles of epic trails and you'll go right past it on i-80 anyway.
    Don't buy all the lies that they feed ya.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by phirebug View Post
    Check out Park City while you're in town. 300+ miles of epic trails and you'll go right past it on i-80 anyway.
    While the entire trail system in PC is great, I would recommend Round Valley if limiting your climbing is a goal. However, I would have to invoke Rule 5 on you; how often are you going to be coming through the area? Get adventurous!
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    You can also ignore rule #5 and buy a lift pass and do no climbing at all. It's ok, we won't tell

It's hard to go wrong anywhere in this entire area. Glenwild is also very nice without being too gnarly.
    Don't buy all the lies that they feed ya.

mtbr member
    Mountain Trails Foundation - Map
    Select "Suggested Routes"
    Look at "Easy" or "Intermediate" routes.
    Or, create a route. Either way, they'll have GPX files you can use for a GPS unit.
    Enjoy.
    Repeat as necessary.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    City Creek is a good beginner/intermediate trail. Nothing technical. Some good climbing, but nothing that steep. This is near the downtown area. If you're set on the south side of Salt Lake, Corner Canyon is what I would hit.

You can also access City Creek by parking at Hogle Zoo and riding the Bonneville Shoreline trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway View Post
    Millcreek Pipeline.
    The only reason I don't recommend Pipeline is due to the amount of traffic up Millcreek. Everyone and their dog is up there. Literally.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | 39miles near Salt Lake City | Times and Records | Strava

If this trail (City Creek, BST, Bobsled) is your idea of not much climbing you must be in France right now wearing polka dots

PM me

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | 39miles near Salt Lake City | Times and Records | Strava

If this trail (City Creek, BST, Bobsled) is your idea of not much climbing you must be in France right now wearing polka dots
    Was this directed at me? That route in the link is a 39 mile loop. Most people ride ~10 - 15 mile loops at City Creek. And depending on the loop, 1/3 of it is on pavement. ie, I start at the City Creek trailhead, ride on pavement (Bonneville Blvd/11th Ave) to Dry Gulch, and take the trail back to City Creek. Quick, easy loop. Add Bobsled on there, if you wish. Or start from the Zoo for more miles.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    Was this directed at me?
    Yes I was responding to you. Those sections of the BST and great rides just not sure I would classify them as low on climbing. The trails in park city and millcreek, and muller park are much better riding, The BST is just popular because its so easy to access.

PM me

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Yes I was responding to you. Those sections of the BST and great rides just not sure I would classify them as low on climbing. The trails in park city and millcreek, and muller park are much better riding, The BST is just popular because its so easy to access.
    Guess not "low on climbling," but you're talking maybe 1k ft of non-tech stuff. Yeah, not totally beginner, but not anything I'd consider intermediate/expert stuff. I've taken up semi-beginner people up there, and although we had to stop more often than I'd have liked, they all enjoyed it. Only real hard parts were the switchback about 3-4 miles into Dry Gulch and the hill right before Bob Sled.

Funny you mention Mueller, because that's twice the climbing (2k+ ft) for the same mileage (11 miles out and back).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was not saying Muller should be on the low on climbing list. I was saying that if you are not afraid to climb there are better rides then the BST. The BST is a good trail and I spend more time riding there then anywhere else, but if I am coming from out of town and can only do 2 rides BST would not be one of them.

I would take the shuttle and ride the Crest trail down Millcreek whatever day you are here is a even numbered day.

The other day I would ride Round Valley/Glenwild/Flying dog area in park city. Those are the 2 best rides that are easy on climbing that I can think of.

PM me