mtbr member

Bearclaw Poppy conditions?

Hi you lucky folks in the St. George area! We are on vacation here and cannot believe how awesome it is. We went from rainy and cold in Seattle to sunny, warm, beautiful riding here. Wish we could stay forever! Anyway, we really want to ride Bearclaw Poppy before we leave on Tuesday (2/3) but the bike shop said conditions aren't very good yet. Anyone know the current conditions there and/or have a prediction for the weekend or Monday? How muddy and how rutted out might it be? Should we stay off it? Thanks!!
    "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -- Calvin & Hobbes

I'd rather be biking...
    i hoped somebody would have mention something last night cuz i was going to go check it out this afternoon and havent heard anything since it rained this weekend

mtbr member
    Well, if you go today, it would be swell if you could post up your findings!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    went and looked at it thursday night after work. as soon as you drop off the fingers its cakey mud. imagine the rest of it is that way too.

I'd rather be biking...
    Had some family in town this weekend to go riding so i took them out because this trail is easy for most of them and has fun spots and some drops to keep me sane.

Good news and bad news

Good news is the trail is dry for the most part and is totally rideable, there are a handful of damp areas that need to be ridden to help pack down the foot prints and tire ruts. Staying in the center of the trail its totally dry and just damp enough to possibly get smoothed out.

Bad news the trail got no love and is a mess, There was way to many irresponsible people that rode it and walked it when it was a mud hole. I feel bad for them! I cant imagine trying to ride that trail the way people did. All of the tire ruts are 2-3 inches deep and the foot prints are the same, this would make riding and walking extremely difficult. Are people to cocky to just turn around and stop riding? They rode around all the wet spots and made huge wide areas off the trail that are just as worse.

Talking to some of the guys at bikes unlimited they had someone come drop off a bike that was rented and was talking to them about how he was in a group of 10 riders that rode it when it was wet. He kept wondering when the group was going to turn around because of how miserable it was and the group just kept on going only hoping it would be greener on the other side of the hill. The evidence is everywhere. I guess i wont touch this trail the rest of the year, ill just stick to zen and barrel.

The trail was way bumpy and chewed up, but it needs to be ridin while its still damp so that way it can maybe be packed down some more. I saw at least 20 people on the trail today so its getting used. A Girl from Seattle, its dry enough to ride.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info, Shelbster. Too bad about the ruts and people riding it before it's ready. Maybe the weekend crowd will pack it down a bit. We'll give it another day or two and then check it out. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Just rode it. Was pretty much perfect except a few soft, but not muddy areas. Anybody riding tomorrow? Wondering about Barrel Roll or Gooseberry.

mtbr member
    Rode Barrel Roll on Saturday. Perfect condition. A little soft in a couple areas on the loop back but nothing that should damage the trail. Saw more riders on that trail Saturday than I ever have in the past. A great day.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Gooseberry has been getting ridden for sure.. as of wed. last week the godfather of goose....(that would be Morgan H who built the whole thing)... said that it still could use a few more days, but by the look of the traffic headed up there sat. morning looks like it hasn't stopped peeps from riding it.... I am sure the story is the same as anywhere around here with sensitive dirt.... its probably got parts that are chopped to hell. I'm sure its dried out enough since last week though.. I know the last road climb before guac is sloppy but guac itself is fine so is the rockville bench up here in zion.