Thread: Bartlett's Wash

mtbr member

Bartlett's Wash

I heard some rumors that Bartlett's Wash in Moab is closed to bikers now. Is this true?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared5755
    I heard some rumors that Bartlett's Wash in Moab is closed to bikers now. Is this true?
    Interesting rumor and that would be a devasting blow if it were true. Unlike the Slickrock trail which has been marked with white PAINT to mark the route, Bartlett Wash is a total, ride where you want destination. Since the area is totally slickrock there aren't any environmental issues to deal with that I am aware of, but I could be totally wrong about that.

That being said there have been riders who have been cited riding offline on the Slickrock trail. Apparently there is some regulation in Moab that in certain areas riding off line or off trail is a citable offense. Would it be possible that the landmanager of Bartlett Wash could implement the same rational, since there is no definitive approved trail at Bartlett, any riding on the slickrock that isn't painted could be considered riding off trail, and therefore a violation? Seems like there must be some kind of Grandfather clause that would negate closing the area due to it's popularity.

I am sure there is someone out there in the MTBR world, that is close to the landmanager of that location, that could find out if there is an ounce of truth to the rumor.

TD

TD

mtbr member
    Ya, I hope it's just a rumor. Some thread on another web site stated that it's closed to mountain bikers. It was in some thread about another topic, so I don't know.

I went there a few years ago and would love to hit it up again when I go back this week.

mtbr member
    No mention of it on the Moab BLM website....

frejwilk
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor Lord of Thunder
    No mention of it on the Moab BLM website....
    There is no closure in Bartlett Wash proper. Bartlett Wash was designated as a 'freeride' mtn bike focus area in the latest BLM resource management plan. The 'freeride' designation applies to riding where you like (as opposed to following a specific line) on the rock. There is only one other 'freeride' bicycle focus area in Moab and that is the slickrock rim on the other side of Bartlett Wash. This is designated as the Tusher freeride area (even though it is not in Tusher canyon. I think it is also being signed and shown on maps as Jedi to distinguish it from the actual Tusher Canyon.

Some people used to ride a route along Hidden Canyon (a tributary of Bartlett). That is no longer open. It may be where the confusion came from.

FW

beater
    Wha? I hope not. I'm taking some beginners/intermediates down to Moab later this week, and Bartlett's is a good warm-up and introduction to desert riding. I was planning on riding there Friday.

edit: posted at the same time as frejwilk. Thanks-
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by frejwilk
    There is no closure in Bartlett Wash proper. Bartlett Wash was designated as a 'freeride' mtn bike focus area in the latest BLM resource management plan. The 'freeride' designation applies to riding where you like (as opposed to following a specific line) on the rock. There is only one other 'freeride' bicycle focus area in Moab and that is the slickrock rim on the other side of Bartlett Wash. This is designated as the Tusher freeride area (even though it is not in Tusher canyon. I think it is also being signed and shown on maps as Jedi to distinguish it from the actual Tusher Canyon.

Some people used to ride a route along Hidden Canyon (a tributary of Bartlett). That is no longer open. It may be where the confusion came from.

FW

FW:

Thanks for the clarification. The Tusher freeride area is pretty cool. It requires a lot more navigating to get out to the end of it, but it is well worth the effort.

Am I correct about having to stay on line on the SLICKROCK trail?

TD

frejwilk
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    FW:

Am I correct about having to stay on line on the SLICKROCK trail?

TD
    I do know of one who person who was cited at Slickrock. It's a weird story, and I can't really confirm any of it. There was definitely an escalation of opinions there, so in the end I'm not 100% sure the citation was for being off trail.

That said, the way I understand it you are correct. Currently in Moab, (at least outside of the two spots I mentioned) the BLM wants riders to follow a designated route. I've pointed this out in a few other threads as one of the reasons painted lines have appeared more around Moab recently. But I've never seen any definition of what constitutes 'off trail'. A certain distance off the center-line of the dots? A certain distance from a dot? I have no idea.

Are you likely to get a ticket for showing off for Action Shots in the half pipe? Probably not. Riding out several landings through a soil garden from one of the high ledges facing Sand Flats road? Maybe have your attorney on retainer..

FW

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    for what it's worth, I just returned from Moab tonight (back home in Boston) and rode Bartlett Wash this week. it's open and it's a blast!

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by frejwilk
    Are you likely to get a ticket for showing off for Action Shots in the half pipe? Probably not. Riding out several landings through a soil garden from one of the high ledges facing Sand Flats road? Maybe have your attorney on retainer.
    Heh. Don't Bust the Crust, bishes!