Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Err
    Calm like a bomb

ATTN SLC RIDERS! Save I-Street!

UPDATE -
    You can submit your support of I Street to the email address parks@slcgov.com. Please put "I Street Jump Park" in the subject line to make the emails easy to find.

For the past few years WAFTA has been working with Salt Lake City on a project to preserve I Street. As most of you are aware of, the I Street jumps are an unofficial site with no guarantee of future protection. The land that I Street sits on is owned by the Public Utilities department and is slated as a site for more water tanks and pump houses for the ever growing water demands of the Salt Lake Valley.

Now, of course, none of you want that to happen right?

So here's the deal. WAFTA has been lighting up phone lines and blowing out email inboxes at the city for a good while now and as of last fall we delivered a formal proposal to the SLC parks department. This brings us to the official start of the public process to designate I Street as an official park. This process is ALSO to consider dedicating more public lands and resources in SLC to downhill, freeride, dirtjump, and pump track type features.

If you ride I Street, YOU need to be involved
    If you'd like to ride I Street, YOU need to be involved
    If you wish the features at I Street were bigger/smaller/better/scarier/friendlier
    If you'd like something like I Street in your neighborhood of SLC, YOU need to be involved

Salt Lake City is giving the DH/FR community an opportunity to not only save I Street but create a plan for the future. It is critically important that everyone understand that a couple of WAFTA voices can not make this happen. We need ever rider involved! This is not an everyday opportunity, please get involved and make sure your voice is heard!!!

How do YOU get involved??
    May 14-18 Wed 10AM-4PM, Thurs 10AM-6PM, Fri 10AM-1PM: Location SLC Main Library on 400S: A jump park proposal board on display showing what we have today and what we'd like in the future. The purpose of this board is to gather input and brainstorm with citizens (YOU!!) on what kind of jump park infrastructure SLC needs. The city will be collecting suggestions on comment cards.

June 21st: Location TBD, SLC will host an open house to gather citizen (YOU!!) input in an open discussion forum.

June 29th - Meeting at I Street to discuss the future. We'll need EVERY rider in the area needs to turn out for this!!!

There are more dates TBD in the July thru October time frame to continue planning. Those dates will be posted as they become available.
    Last edited by Err; 05-16-2012 at 07:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I really like how the Canyons thread has 163 replies and this one has (until now) zero. If riders want public bike parks that aren't about making a profit, this is where you make it happen!

Thanks for the hard work on this Err, you know I'll be there.

mtbr member
    Subscribed. I'm in all the way.
    Currently enjoying life Giant Trance Advanced 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Giant STP

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    +1
    I'm in and I'll talk to others about it.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Going to do all I can to spread the word and will plan to attend all the events if possible, this could be a HUGE opportunity to further riding options in the immediate SLC area. I keep picturing Valmont Bike Park in SLC and can't even fathom how awesome that would be. Hopefully those meetings in June will be evening hours, if not I'll try ot get out of work if at all possible to be there.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Thanks for jumping in guys. The importance of having every rider in SLC involved can not be overstated. Time to make our voice heard. These opportunities do not come along every day.

I'm also speaking to those riders who do have an interest in jump parks but don't regularly ride I Street because it doesn't quite suit their style. Perhaps you'd like to see a line of tables or a pump track? Jump in here and let us know. Now is the time to make a case for the resources to make these things happen!

Bored Carp
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I really like how the Canyons thread has 163 replies and this one has (until now) zero. If riders want public bike parks that aren't about making a profit, this is where you make it happen!

Thanks for the hard work on this Err, you know I'll be there.

Yep - this is where the hard work gets done. Setting the precedent that MTB is a priority will benefit ALL riders, not just jumpers. If we want to contribute to planning we have to show that we are engaged. Nice work, Toni.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by Err View Post
    Thanks for jumping in guys. The importance of having every rider in SLC involved can not be overstated. Time to make our voice heard. These opportunities do not come along every day.

I'm also speaking to those riders who do have an interest in jump parks but don't regularly ride I Street because it doesn't quite suit their style. Perhaps you'd like to see a line of tables or a pump track? Jump in here and let us know. Now is the time to make a case for the resources to make these things happen!
    For sure man, I honestly haven't been up to I-Street in several years because I've felt like it's a bit over my head and that it's not a great place to be riding solo which I am most of the time. I still understand how valuable that place is to our riding community and that this opportunity to be heard could be muh bigger than just I-Street if we can show up as a united group and represent ourselves well. I'd love to have less excuse to drive up to PC every chance I have to ride! I think I'll make a printout of those dates to put in my pack or input them in my phone so I have something to refer to when spreading the word on the trail. Maybe I'll sound like a shill but word needs to get out to as many people as possible.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for the hard work! I have to be there because my 7 yr old will kick my arse if he can't ride there anymore. As much I/we need places like this to ride, I keep looking into the future hoping my boys will have an I Street, Valmont or any other public bike park.
    I'll be there

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Subscribed. Is this proposal board at the library something just to show what WAFTA has proposed? Or will there be a suggestion section too?

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrenchMoose View Post
    Subscribed. Is this proposal board at the library something just to show what WAFTA has proposed? Or will there be a suggestion section too?
    I believe there will be an opportunity to make suggestions. I'm trying to get more details on the format. I'll post up when I hear back.

oootard
    Count me in for any support that I can offer (via letters, emails, etc.). Though I am not living in UT currently, I will be back and would love to have a legitimate public bike park to enjoy. The loss of I street would be a loss to the entire SLC riding community.

Thanks for everyone's work on this.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Will plan on being there. Love I street and would be really disappointed to see it go.

mtbr member
    Err - thanks again and count me in, even though most of that stuff is beyond my skills. :-)

I'm not sure if it's just me and monkeywrenchMoose but I'm also not really sure about the things that are happening at the Library. Is it a couple poster boards that show what is/could be? And a place where we could comment on what is presented, make suggestions, show support, etc? Do you needs us to make the effort to not only get down there and do that AND be at the meetings? Which option (meetings or the library stuff) would be more important to attend for people who might have limited time?

I'm sure you're hitting up the powers that be with those questions and more. Looking forward to hearing about this. I'm subscribed!

Enduroist
    Mar 2007
    Count me in as planning to attend every event I can.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
    Err - thanks again and count me in, even though most of that stuff is beyond my skills. :-)

I'm not sure if it's just me and monkeywrenchMoose but I'm also not really sure about the things that are happening at the Library. Is it a couple poster boards that show what is/could be? And a place where we could comment on what is presented, make suggestions, show support, etc? Do you needs us to make the effort to not only get down there and do that AND be at the meetings? Which option (meetings or the library stuff) would be more important to attend for people who might have limited time?

I'm sure you're hitting up the powers that be with those questions and more. Looking forward to hearing about this. I'm subscribed!

I'm trying to get clarification from the City on the board at the library but it's my impression that it will be a poster depicting the proposal to make I Street an official park and identify some other possible jump park locations. I believe the idea is for it to be up all week so that people can swing by briefly, at their convenience and drop a written suggestion in a box. It would be great if people could just take a few minutes next week to pop in there and show some support. Certainly though, the turnout for the actual meetings will probably make a bigger impact overall. Keep your calendars clear on June 21st and June 29th!

Picture Unrelated
    Sub'd.

Don't really ride there because I'm a bit of a wuss but if they make a legitimate and protected bike use area then I don't care if it's full of 50' doubles with pikes between them; it's worth fighting for.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Like a few here I'm kind of a old fart but I do understand how important is to support the community, so count me in for the meetings.

So where is I street (we move here not long ago)...!?!?

mtbr member
    Awesome. Ready to help.

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    subscribed.

Such a great riding spot in SLC, would be a shame to lose it.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Cool, just moved here but will help out any way I can.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    thanks for putting this together...I street is a fun place, will have to make a stop by the library

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I just posted an update to the original post but wanted to make sure everyone sees this

- You can submit your support of I Street to the email address parks@slcgov.com. Please put "I Street Jump Park" in the subject line to make the emails easy to find.

- Just to clarify on the board at the library. This will be an interactive display up from 10 AM to 5 PM Mon - Friday this week at the Main Public Library on 400 S. Suggestions will be taken on comment cards.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by Err View Post
    I just posted an update to the original post but wanted to make sure everyone sees this

- You can submit your support of I Street to the email address parks@slcgov.com. Please put "I Street Jump Park" in the subject line to make the emails easy to find.

- Just to clarify on the board at the library. This will be an interactive display up from 10 AM to 5 PM Mon - Friday this week at the Main Public Library on 400 S. Suggestions will be taken on comment cards.
    Doh, 10-5? Do they think we're all unemployed? I'll see if I can work it to get out of Ogden during the day to comment but might be stuck emailing the parks department. If anyone can get down there to check it out post up some photos if possible, I'd like to see what's being presented for some talking points when I email.

Thanks!
    Last edited by catch22; 05-14-2012 at 02:20 PM.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Doh, 10-5? Do they think we're all unemployed? I'll see if I can work it to get out of Ogden during the day to comment but might be stuck emailing the parks department.
    Actually just got another update which will make you happier

Monday - Board will not be up, sorry for the confusion
    Tuesday & Wed - 10 am to 4 pm
    Thursday - 10 am to 6 pm
    Friday - 10 am to 1 pm

If you can't make it to the library, email your comments to parks@slcgov.com. Please put "I Street Jump Park" in the subject line to make the emails easy to find.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast