mtbr member

Armstrong/Pinecone: too wet for Wed 9/26 or OK?

We got quite a bit of rain down in the valley last night and today (Tues), but it was spotty. How much did it rain in Park City? Do you think Armstrong and Pinecone will be dry enough to ride on Wed, midday? Planning on climbing up to the crest, then descending back down Pinecone to Mid Mountain, over to Spiro, then down.

I have no idea how those trails handle moisture or how much the mountains got. What do you think - good to go by Wed midday or not?

Sent from my Galaxy S3

mtbr member
    We got a lot of rain. Probably snow above 9000 feet. I expect the Crest is very messy. Armstrong may have enough slope to be ride-able by midday.

mtbr member
    Thanks. Not planning on riding the crest itself, just Pinecone to the top then back down, but I guess the top half of Pinecone will be a mess...
    I just saw a couple of weather stations in Park city reported over a half an inch of rain today, which is twice what we got down here.
    If anyone has an update in the morning, I would appreciate it.

I'm assuming dry creek and bobsled will also be a mess... argh..

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Can't speak for PC but I would imagine dry creek and bobsled would be perfect by tomorrow, it was really dry up there last week. Maybe a small puddle here or there to ride through bu I would imagine trails will be perfect. I'd be a little surprised if Armstrong or Pinecone were all that bad tomorrow either, Armstrong was gettig pretty powdery and badly in need of a good soaker Sunday when I rode it.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I just rode the segment of the Shoreline Trail above Ensign Peak to City Creek around 6:00 today. There was no sign of the rain from earlier in the day. I'm sure it's the same for Dry Creek and Bobsled. Should be good on Wednesday.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info.
    It rained more at my house last night...anybody ride Dry Creek or Mid Mountain this morning and can give a report?
    Thanks

Sent from my Galaxy S3

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Dry Creek and the BST will be fine.

I doubt there was any snow on the crest and as dry and powered as armstrong and Pinecone have been I bet they will be rideable as well. I would go for it just be prepared to turn around if conditions are bad.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway View Post
    I doubt there was any snow on the crest and as dry and powered as armstrong and Pinecone have been I bet they will be rideable as well. I would go for it just be prepared to turn around if conditions are bad.
    There was snow up there yesterday, can't see it today, but I'm sure there still some there.

mtbr member
    Update: decided based on all the feedback to give PC a shot. Did Armstrong and half of Pinecone. Was limited by time. Trail was wet, but a good wet. Not muddy, just moist. The wet leaves were intimidating, but never actually lost grip. Other riders were out there as well. Got caught in light rain the last 10 minutes descending Spiro, but the trail stayed nice.
    Thanks for the feedback - I never would have gone otherwise and it was definitely worthwhile! :thumbup:
    Anybody that is planning on going this weekend will find primo conditions.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

mtbr member
    Thanks for the report.