mtbr member

Anyone ridden the Hobble Creek Canyon Trails?

We've got a family reunion up at the Jolly Ranch Camp ground in Hobble Creek canyon the weekend after next so I was just searchig aroung to see if there were any trails up that way.

Utahmountainbiking.com came through as always and listed two or three possibilities.

Center Trail to Strawberry Ridge, Fifth Water Ridge, and Wardsworth Creek all look promising and relatively close.

I've read the descriptions on UTMB but just wondering if anyone has any current knowledge or experience with these trails.

mtbr member
    Hmm. No beta huh? I wonder if we'd be better off to haul the bikes up to Park City or American Fork Canyon. I suppose we can check out the Hobble Creek/Springville Canoyon trails and try something different the next day if they don't pan out. I just don't want to drag a bunch of beginners on a blown out ATV/horse trail if I can help it.

mtbr member
    Hey Kent the Diamond Fork-Strawberry Ridge ride is definitly worthy. It's been a decade since I rode it last but some of the higher elevation parts of the loop was ATV track. Cows might be a bigger issue. From the 3 Forks pking area up Cottonwood to 2nd Water. Contour north on the Strawberry Ridge Road and down Fith Water. 5th water is fast and furious but very busy with hikers as you get close to the hot springs.

mtbr member
    Thanks Joe. That's one of the trails I was looking at. The description from UTM was also old: dated 1999 so you never know. We'll find out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'm not from the area but tibble fork and mud springs in american fork canyon are some of my favorite trails that i have ridded.....you mentioned AF canyon so i thought i would chime in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bcall8 View Post
    I'm not from the area but tibble fork and mud springs in american fork canyon are some of my favorite trails that i have ridded.....you mentioned AF canyon so i thought i would chime in.
    Agree. I rode a really fun loop up there a few years back and it was fantastic. I think I did 157 to south fork deer creek iirc. It's a bit of a drive from where we're camped but we may head up that way if these don't suffice.
    Last edited by KRob; 07-15-2012 at 09:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    KROB - I have ridden both the northern and southern sections of the Center Trail and all the variations in between for many years now. I only ride these trails during the spring and fall because of the cows. The cows are put in during the first week of June and are taken out the first week of October. This year they are in the southern section which includes everything from the Center Trail at Upper Fifth Water to Lower Fifth Water all the way over to Upper 2nd Water and Cottonwood Canyon. It is amazing how much damage the cows do to the trails so I will not ride there again until October.

mtbr member
    Thanks that's good info. I'll avoid those. I think we're going to do the Wordsworth to dry creek trail tomorrow .

mtbr member
    Just to follow up on this thread in case someone searches for info later.

We ended up riding Wardsworth Creek up to the pond and back. It's kinda short, only 3 miles up to the pond then back down but that ended up being about right for the group we had which included my 13 year-old son and my 80 year-old father.

Pretty trail with a nice packed, buff surface with a few rocks and tricky stream crossings. There were a few short steep sections that most HABed. The return back down the trail was fun a flowy as described on UTMB.com

The second day we ended up hiking so only really got in the one ride except for a few excursions up the canyon on the road which is a nice quiet ride. It's about 7 miles to the end of the pavement from Jolly's Ranch then another mile or two to the summit.
    Last edited by KRob; 07-17-2012 at 10:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Here's a coupla pics from the ride.

DSC01311

DSC01306

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    you want a real challenge and want to ride in the creek for a few stretches you can go up Hobble and connect to top of Maple cany and end up down in Mapleton!