mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Anyone bike commute PC to SLC?

How bad is it? What route do you take to access I-80 coming back up? Emmigration or access via 215 or ...?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

The only way I would consider doing it.

Is over guardsmans pass. Riding your bike on 1-80 is silly. Would be fun to commute via trails, but you can only ride over the top from July-Sep.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Bored Carp
    You could go through Jeremy Ranch to East Canyon...which would be a heck of a ride. Or you could commute via Moose and Emigration... I wonder what sort of bike one would choose for that (road bike, freeride bike? tough call :-)
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chuky
    You could go through Jeremy Ranch to East Canyon...which would be a heck of a ride. Or you could commute via Moose and Emigration... I wonder what sort of bike one would choose for that (road bike, freeride bike? tough call :-)
    You could just use the pipe-line cut below Moose....but what a crappy ride that would be....although you could pull it off with a cross bike and then ride the emigration canyon road.

I'm not sure there is a sensible way to bike commute from PC to SLC. Up the canyons, down millcreek would be the most logical but as Pedalfaraway said, not an option till later in the summer.

talk to the person trying to commute from the top of BCC to Sandy...they are in the same predicament.

Glad to see there are people crazy enough to consider the options!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I would take the shortest route possible or maybe Emigration. A friend of mine tried it once, to the U (no car). He dropped out that semester. How bad it is depends on who you are. For me sucking fumes all day is not my idea of a bike ride.

Talentless Hack
    Driving I-80 everyday from SLC to PC is my definition of insanity. Riding a bike up and down that death trap is to me beyond insane. Trucks seem to falter onto the shoulder at a regular basis, diesel fumes linger and bad weather (such as today) makes this a commute for a real hard (wo)man. There are tentative plans to put in a paved bike lane next to I-80 which will link SLC to PC but I'm unsure of the time frame.

Unemployed
    Quote Originally Posted by Idiot Boy 1
    There are tentative plans to put in a paved bike lane next to I-80 which will link SLC to PC but I'm unsure of the time frame.
    Not likely in my lifetime.

I've ridden I-80 both ways more than once. The traffic doesn't seem to bother me as much as it does my loved ones. Parking at the East Canyon exit and riding Emigration Canyon makes for a pretty decent compromise.