Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011

Anyone been up on BST/Bobsled recently?

Anyone been up on Bonneville shoreline or bobsled?

I took a walk up there about 2 weeks ago and it was a mudpit. Havent had much weather and was thinkin about bringing my bike up.

mtbr member
    Didn't it rain/show quite a bit yesterday? It did in the south part of the valley. I wouldn't imagine it is in great shape for riding, although I'd love to be proven wrong (let us know how it looks if you go)!
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Your Dreaming.

Once we have 10 days of sun and 50 degree temps maybe. Not even close right now
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    Walked up today for a hike, East facing trails are DRY, West facing trails are packed crunchy snow and muddy. As long as you are not riding a CX bike it is absolutely rideable.

Didnt go all the way across so i dont know how it gets more toward dry creek or bobsled.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway View Post
    Once we have 10 days of sun and 50 degree temps maybe. Not even close right now
    Monthly Weather Forecast for Salt Lake City, UT (84103) - weather.com

pretty close if you ask me
    Last edited by While At Rome; 02-17-2012 at 05:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Close only counts in horseshoes

I was talking mostly about bobsled itself and not the other sections of the BST. I was hiking today west of city creek toward ensign peak (which dries way before bobsled) and there was alot of mud and some snow. Not ready yet.
    I have not been riding it but I would bet that the lower sections from the Zoo to dry creek are rideable. With the lack of deep snow just get out early before the mud thaws and I bet its good to ride. Bobsled is where I was talking about your dreaming. Its the very last section of the shoreline to be rideable. With the weather I was talking about 10 more days of sun and in the 50's. If there continues to be little snow and we get a soild week of warm and sun the BST dries pretty quicky.

PM me

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by While At Rome View Post
    Walked up today for a hike, East facing trails are DRY, West facing trails are packed crunchy snow and muddy. As long as you are not riding a CX bike it is absolutely rideable.
    See that word highlighted up there? Please respect the trails and the people who spend their time taking care of them; stay off the trails until they dry. I know we're all getting kinda crazy being off the bike but save up your pennies and drive south until you hit dry trails.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Bored Carp
    ... and with this thread, the rains return to the savanna, heralding a time of plenty for the animals who make it their home. The circle of life continues.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone been up on BST/Bobsled recently?-elephant_dusk_savana_reaching_tree.jpeg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Chuky, I miss these posts! ;-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    love it chuky.

and on a related note, aside from the PITA factor of cleaning up my bike, I have officially stopped caring about putting a few tread patterns into the soft dirt after seeing how many hundreds/thousands of runners/hikers use the shoreline day in, day out, conditions be damned. Most of the trail looks like a herd of cattle was let loose on the entire shoreline.

We are WAY too uptight here in SLC about this issue on heavily-traveled trails. I get it when we are talking about nicer singletrack that is less traveled, but seriously, it's time to pull the stick out.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    We are WAY too uptight here in SLC about this issue on heavily-traveled trails. I get it when we are talking about nicer singletrack that is less traveled, but seriously, it's time to pull the stick out.
    Did you ride CC after the race in the mud last year? The ruts never disappeared all season.

Carry on, wet trail rider haters!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The BST in the South Provo area is great as long as there is no snow or rain tonight, or tomorrow. I rode it from Slate Canyon to the Y trailhead and back on Monday and there were only 2-3 muddy spots that were easily avoidable. Hoping to ride it again Thursday afternoon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    Did you ride CC after the race in the mud last year? The ruts never disappeared all season.

Carry on, wet trail rider haters!
    Nah, CC is way too far south. Too close to Provo/Utah County and its denizens for my taste.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    That's right J...stay up north in your beloved mudfest and off our southern jems anyways. I may be living nestled in them soon if I have my way.

The reason trails are used when muddy is because no organization takes enough ownership and puts a gate closing the trail when it's not appropriate to use it. People aren't gonna follow a sign in this self centered world we live in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Heh, good luck with the house hunt pfh! I can't believe that China doesn't filter out mtbr

On another note, my attempt at starting a flame war has completely and utterly failed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Back On Track

So to get this thread back on track. Anybody ridden BST lately?
    Thanks.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler View Post
    That's right J...stay up north in your beloved mudfest and off our southern jems anyways. I may be living nestled in them soon if I have my way.
    god forbid someone takes personal responsibility for a decision they make!

"I didn't see a sign so it must be ok to destroy these trails!"

mtbr member
    May 2009
    On a trail like Bobsled, early season traffic is good for it wears out and evens the rut caused by last years water. People ride the trail all year long, in the rain snow and mud. It's just fine.

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    I rode it yesterday. a bit of mud, a bit of ice, and a lot of fun.

Some utahns need to loosen up. Mud might ruin your white bibs, but it isnt going to ruin the trail if you exercise even the most remote form of discretion. All the muddy parts are covered in divots anyways because there is so much foot traffic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I disagree with the assessment that riding in mud at all ok.

and that people who want to prevent damage to trails are just uptight. However Bobsled is a little unique because the runoff water does so much damage to the trail that any ruts/ footprints let in the watercouse get washed away. If anone ever builds a sustainable trail and manages to divert the runoff off of it It would be very selfish and ignorant to ride it when wet. However this is not the case with the rest of the shoreline where ruts and damage from MTB's last for years.

PM me