mtbr member

Any Salt Lake riders running XX1?

I am debating upgrading from my alloy Niner Rip9 to the carbon Niner Rip9 RDO, and going from 2x10 (24,38 front, 11-36 rear) gearing to SRAM XX1, but I am worried about making the switch. I use all of my low end on some of the steep climbs, like "The wall" at the zoo end of Boneville, the grassy knoll between Dry Creek and Bobsled, and even Terrace Hills Road to climb back up and around to repeat Bobsled (Plus, trails like Slickrock and similar steep climbs in Moab.) Later in the summer, when I'm in shape, the 24-36 gearing even seems easy, but early on in the spring I'm looking for an easier gear.
    To get an equivalent granny gear on XX1 I would need a 28t in front; combined with the 42t in back, that is the same ratio. I am worried, though, that with the 28t in front I will miss out too much on the high end compared to my current 38t (or even my brother's 36t). It's basically like losing out on the first (smallest) 2 cogs of my current cassette...problem is I'm not actually sure how often I use those and am worried I would regret not having them if I started racing this season. The 30t in front would be like only losing out on 1 cog, but sacrifices the granny gear which I KNOW I use.

So my question to my Salt Lake bretheren - are any of you running XX1? If so, with what chainring in front? Do you ride the super-steep uphills, and if so, do you wish you had 1 gear easier? If you ride the 28t in front, do you ever miss the high-end and feel like you are spinning out?

Everyone raves about XX1 - has anyone here tried it (coming from a 2x10) and regretted it?

Thanks,
    Albert

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    IMO unless you're concerned about top speed on the pavement on the way to the trail, your highest gear is pretty irrelevant. You are NEVER going to spin out a 28x10 on any kind of singletrack unless you have the world's lowest cadence.

Now, there are legit reasons (racing, long road sections to get to/between trails) to have a taller gear but if your main focus is riding singletrack I think you'll be very happy.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Thanks Walt
    That is what I figured, but I was having second thoughts since I realized that I was considering the smallest of the front chainrings that SRAM is offering.

I really just need to get out and ride my current bike with the rear limit screw set to block the smallest 2 cogs and see if I ever notice, but I'm not sure when I'll have time to do that. Argh. Besides the fact that I can't test it out on the upper Park City trails now anyway...

Anyone else want to chime in with their choice of front ring size and thoughts?

Thanks

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    If you don't have time to get out for a ride, your problem ain't new bikes or drivetrain parts! Take a vacation and ride what you got!

-Walt
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Does the XX1 come on the new bike or something? I really don't find having 2 rings in front to be that intrusive on my riding, to tell the truth. I pretty much shift the front ring once per ride (when I get to the top), and with a chain roller and bash guard, I don't lose a chain or have a lot of noisy slapping around. My bike has a 24/36 x 11/36 setup.

But if I were to go 1x12, I'd agree with getting duplicating my granny gear at the expense of my higher gears -- I seldom, if ever, really "need" the 36x11 or whatever my highest combo is. Trails here are steep enough that I'm seldom looking to add speed by pedaling once I'm headed down the mountain. I am dipping into the 24 x 36 probably at least once a ride, however, and I often spend considerable time there, especially the first couple months of the riding season. I would not want to give that gear up!
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    If you don't have time to get out for a ride, your problem ain't new bikes or drivetrain parts! Take a vacation and ride what you got!

-Walt
    Ha! So true. Part of it is that I'm spending more time training on my road bike currently. I'm more apt to mountain bike more later in the summer once armstrong and pinecone open up and things get too hot down here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    Does the XX1 come on the new bike or something? I really don't find having 2 rings in front to be that intrusive on my riding, to tell the truth. I pretty much shift the front ring once per ride (when I get to the top), and with a chain roller and bash guard, I don't lose a chain or have a lot of noisy slapping around. My bike has a 24/36 x 11/36 setup.

But if I were to go 1x12, I'd agree with getting duplicating my granny gear at the expense of my higher gears -- I seldom, if ever, really "need" the 36x11 or whatever my highest combo is. Trails here are steep enough that I'm seldom looking to add speed by pedaling once I'm headed down the mountain. I am dipping into the 24 x 36 probably at least once a ride, however, and I often spend considerable time there, especially the first couple months of the riding season. I would not want to give that gear up!
    Yes, the new bike comes with XX1. Of course I could order it with the standard 2x11, but it's tempting to the get the "latest and greatest" on the new bike (costs less to do now compared to upgrading it later), especially since everyone raves about the XX1 system and it shaves close to a pound off of a 2x11 setup.

Thanks for the responses so far. If I go 1x12 I will go with the 28t up front to save the granny gear ratio. If I get so strong by the end of the summer that I'm never using the easiest gear and looking for more top end, I'll bite the bullet and get a 30t chainring and consider it a reward to myself for getting so much stronger!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    2x11, 1x12? WTF?

mtbr member

Re: Any Salt Lake riders running XX1?

Quote Originally Posted by nord1899 View Post
    2x11, 1x12? WTF?
    Just predicting the future.
    Should have been 2x10 and 1x11...:beer:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I cant speak directly but I would suggest talking to Kris or Scott from Go-ride I believe both are on or at least have been on XX1 now, and have definitely used to vast majority or component groups of the past. They are tough critics, put things through their paces and very good help when I have "tech geek" questions, helping me decide if it is for me.
    Want a one of a kind bike? Message me for a one of a kind paint job.

The internet is a tough place to ride

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by ronnyg801 View Post
    I cant speak directly but I would suggest talking to Kris or Scott from Go-ride I believe both are on or at least have been on XX1 now, and have definitely used to vast majority or component groups of the past. They are tough critics, put things through their paces and very good help when I have "tech geek" questions, helping me decide if it is for me.
    Thanks. I'll check them out next week if they don't post on here first (hoping they do).

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    As for durability, Pinkbike just posted a long term review of it: SRAM XX1 Drivetrain - Tested - Pinkbike

I currently run 2x10 (24/36 paired with 11-36). Would love to go to a 1x setup. But I know I'm not yet in good enough shape to do so (I still need the 24x32/36 more than I'd like to admit). And the cost is prohibitive to run XX1 (like $1400+ retail for the full kit). So maybe when it trickles down to X7 or X9 levels. TBH, I'd rather see it on the Shimano side, but not that picky.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I went from 2x10 to a 32 XX1 crankset. I love it! I do a bit of climbing. The first couple of goes were pretty rough. Rougher than I expected. My first ride I thought "Oh boy, what have I done..." But now that the season is in full swing my legs have completely adapted. I hasn't crossed my mind in about a month that I have harder gears when climbing. But I will say that going down paved sections, yeah I miss my larger ring up front. But I would never go back on this bike.

Also I'd like to note. I left my 10 sprocket cassette in back so I have even less 'versatility' but I love it. I'm using lower level X7 derailleur in back, stock chain, and no chain guide up front. I haven't had any chain slap ( I did take out 1 link when I switched ) and the chain has never come off. The ring on that crankset is awesome! Please note you can't run the XX1 chain on a 10 speed. It is too skinny and will sit on top of the teeth instead of locking on. You have to have an 11 in back to do so.

So, you don't need to switch everything if you don't want to. But if I had the money, that XX1 derailleur would be sweet, but then comes the cassette and chain and the money...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CortneyJay View Post
    I went from 2x10 to a 32 XX1 crankset. I love it! I do a bit of climbing. The first couple of goes were pretty rough. Rougher than I expected. My first ride I thought "Oh boy, what have I done..." But now that the season is in full swing my legs have completely adapted. I hasn't crossed my mind in about a month that I have harder gears when climbing. But I will say that going down paved sections, yeah I miss my larger ring up front. But I would never go back on this bike.

Also I'd like to note. I left my 10 sprocket cassette in back so I have even less 'versatility' but I love it. I'm using lower level X7 derailleur in back, stock chain, and no chain guide up front. I haven't had any chain slap ( I did take out 1 link when I switched ) and the chain has never come off. The ring on that crankset is awesome! Please note you can't run the XX1 chain on a 10 speed. It is too skinny and will sit on top of the teeth instead of locking on. You have to have an 11 in back to do so.

So, you don't need to switch everything if you don't want to. But if I had the money, that XX1 derailleur would be sweet, but then comes the cassette and chain and the money...
    Wow, so you are running a 32 up front and 36 granny in back rather than the 42 granny from the XX1 cassette!?! Are you on a 26er or 29er?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by albertdc View Post
    Wow, so you are running a 32 up front and 36 granny in back rather than the 42 granny from the XX1 cassette!?! Are you on a 26er or 29er?
    Yeah, I have the 36 granny on back. It's a 29er. But this is also coming from a guy that is eyeing a rigid 650b single speeder as a fun alternate bike...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I've been running XX1 w/ a 32 tooth single-speed ring on XT cranks. Zero problems so far. Also, I've yet to run into any situations that made me wish for more gears. I agree with Walt - you won't run into many situations around here where you'll spin out a 30-32 x 10.

mtbr member

Well, I was going to go with the 28t in front to replicate my current granny gear, but with everyone here going 30 or 32t, even with only 36t rear cassettes, I will try it out with a 30t in front. The new bike will be 2.5-3 lbs lighter than my old one, so hopefully I won't miss the equivalent of my current 24 - 36. I'm also starting to get my legs back.... worst case scenario, I get the 28t next Spring if I get weak again over the winter...
    The new bike should be ready to go on the 14th. Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Gear Calculator

Can always use this to figure out what your gear ratios will be for different setups. Unfortunately it doesn't have 11 slots for a cassette, so you'd have to run it twice to simulate a XX1 cassette.

I was playing around with it, especially since RaceFace announced their Narrow-Wide chainrings ( First Look: Race Face Shows 30T Narrow Wide 104 Chainring ). I would go with a 30T x 11/36 . If I was on XX1's 10/42 cassette, a 32T would be perfect.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I ride SLC and PC trails with XX1 with a 32 up front and love it. I only top out on fast roads, on single track I never do and let's be real... single track is all that matters. If you want the extra help on hills with the 28 I'm sure you'll still be fine on single track for top speed, but I imagine you would top out frequently on roads. I'd recommend it to anyone though, I love it. It meets the ultimate criteria I have for any bike component, which is that I can go ride all day and I don't think about it once. It just works perfectly.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I am riding 32T XX1 on my RIP 9 RDO in Park City. The low is low enough but I am thinking of putting a 30T on there simply because I never find myself in the 10T wishing for more gear, but a few times now on mellow rides I've looked for the the 42T and found I am already there. =)

mtbr member

Thanks everyone. I picked up the new bike (RIP 9 RDO w/XX1) on Saturday. I had decided on getting it with a 30t after all the responses on here. The shop thought they had the 30t in, but it was still in the mail. So they let me take the bike out with a 32t on there and will swap the chainring out this week. I rode Shoreline trail from the zoo over to Bobsled with a couple of loops down bobsled and up Northvale Way and the dirt climb above that. I only looked for an extra gear once partway through the dirt climb after Northvale Way when it pitches up significantly. Even the grassy knoll climb heading over was fine. Considering that a 32t ring is equivalent to my third easiest cog on my old bike, I'm impressed with how well the RIP RDO climbs. Those spots used to be 24-36 granny gear climbs with my alloy RIP9.
    Anyway, based on that, I think 30t up front will be just right with enough oomph at the top end and still easy enough on the low end for those bad days or extra-steep steeps.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    FWIW, just did a ride on which I spun out my 28x11 (I'm still running a 10 speed cassette with XX1 cranks) and for me top pedaling speed is about 23mph. More than fast enough for any singletrack I'd ever ride - the sections where I hit 20+ were all paved.

-Walt
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com