Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Any bike swaps or bike parts events in No. Utah?

Subject sort of says it all. I thought it would be cool to go to or be part of a bike gear / parts swap similar to the Black Diamond swap in SLC in October for the upcoming winter. Where they basically open up the parking lot, everyone drives up with their stuff and let the BSing and negotiating begin! Perhaps something in spring.

Anyone do anything like that? I think between all of us with our pushing a dozen spare tires and old stems and you name it there is some pretty good stuff that someone else could be using.

The Sentinel

March 8, Utah State Fairpark

March 8th is the annual bike swap at the Utah State Fairgrounds. Unfortunately, it's a pay-to-play event. I've been every year since it opened, and it's increasingly become pointless for me. From what I can see, most of the exhibitors are bike shops, so there aren't too many deals to be had. I live up in Tremonton, but I have a ton of stuff that I'd love to set up in a swap meet somewhere in Northern Utah...the first annual Utah MTBR swap! We just need to find a place and make it happen!

Quote Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead
    Subject sort of says it all. I thought it would be cool to go to or be part of a bike gear / parts swap similar to the Black Diamond swap in SLC in October for the upcoming winter. Where they basically open up the parking lot, everyone drives up with their stuff and let the BSing and negotiating begin! Perhaps something in spring.

Anyone do anything like that? I think between all of us with our pushing a dozen spare tires and old stems and you name it there is some pretty good stuff that someone else could be using.
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Same case up here for the Park City ski swap, which used to be great and is now surplus shop stuff with not-very-good-deals and is not even worth going to any more. When my fiancee was a kid she used to wait in line for hours to go on opening night....

Anyway something I will definitely look in to. I don't think it would take too much work I figure, maybe do it partnered with the bike collective...

mtbr member
    and it's increasingly become pointless for me
    ditto that. It's been three years since I went last, we showed up an hour before opening and there were probably about 7-800 people at least in line ahead of us. IF there are ANY deals to be had, you'll be fighting half the state over them. Most the rest just seems like surplus or "gently used" 10 year old bikes at only 90% of retail of what the new modern versions go for. Waste of time and entry fee IMO. Better off just going for a ride.

mtbr member
    Alternatively, you can just put together your own bike swap, similar to what we did last summer in Boise...
    Mini-bike swap
    Of course, it was also just another excuse to get together, eat, have beer, talk bikes and then ride!

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker62
    it's increasingly become pointless for me. From what I can see, most of the exhibitors are bike shops
    What... 20% off retail for used parts isn't a good deal?

Yeah, it sucks there. Never going back after last year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    Alternatively, you can just put together your own bike swap, similar to what we did last summer in Boise...
    Mini-bike swap
    Of course, it was also just another excuse to get together, eat, have beer, talk bikes and then ride!
    First, that is just awesome...

Second, with the huge amount of bike people around there is the SLC Bike Cooperative... http://www.slcbikecollective.org Just gave Jonathan a ring (who it turns out I know) and he said he's definitely interested and they even have a couple parking lots near them. So he is going to talk to them, tentative date March 15, the weekend after the craptastic swap.. Maybe we'll call this "The Run What You Brung Home Brew Swap" or something like that, just pull up, unload your car or bike or backpack and take it from there..!

So, in short, killer

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    First, that is just awesome...

Second, with the huge amount of bike people around there is the SLC Bike Cooperative... http://www.slcbikecollective.org Just gave Jonathan a ring (who it turns out I know) and he said he's definitely interested and they even have a couple parking lots near them. So he is going to talk to them, tentative date March 15, the weekend after the craptastic swap.. Maybe we'll call this "The Run What You Brung Home Brew Swap" or something like that, just pull up, unload your car or bike or backpack and take it from there..!

So, in short, killer
    Keep us posted, I am in for sure. Unless I am off riding.

JMH

Bored Carp
    Totally agree - the current SLC swap is awful, not really even a swap, and full of 5 year old shop-worn reject stock. It would be great to see if an informal thing could work. We would totally go, we have too much stuff, JMH needs a good junker townie and we are never going to beat Err and Mrs. Err at their own game if we don't find a vintage tandem for beer runs...

In the long term, an SLC spring bike festival would be awesome. Maybe the collective could host a "collective crit" on kids bikes or something else Fruita Fat Tire style...

Maybe it should be free for everyone except shops - they have to give the collective 100 bucks to show up, and they are in a different area.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

The Sentinel

Awesome...I'm in!

And I'd be happy to promote said event up here in the Frozen North...Box Elder and Cache Counties!

The Sentinel

So....

Is this still going to happen? I spent the day today cleaning bike parts and bikes, and now have a gigantic mountain of stuff to get rid of...how the hell did I get so many stems anyway?

...tentative date March 15, the weekend after the craptastic swap.. Maybe we'll call this "The Run What You Brung Home Brew Swap" or something like that, just pull up, unload your car or bike or backpack and take it from there..!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker62
    Is this still going to happen? I spent the day today cleaning bike parts and bikes, and now have a gigantic mountain of stuff to get rid of...how the hell did I get so many stems anyway?
    Same place I got so many handlebars. Too bad I already made a windchime out of them. (A valentines gift to my S.O.)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Been talking to the SLC Coop, they have the parking lot space but are checking on a last insurance thingy.. But it looks like it is a go for now, will be on Sat morning the 15th I think, (only two weeks away!).. Will keep you posted as soon as it is confirmed and could use as much help as possible. Same thing, I have some stems and a handlebar to get rid of too If the insurance thingy doesn't work we are back at square one but no worries in my opinion, just find somewhere else possibly even black diamond hopefully....

mtbr member
    So so so so in...need to get rid of my crap before I move.
    It's just frustrating sometimes being an Athena...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    still in limbo, been actively pursuing it. But as the date is creeping up here and we still don't have the property nailed down, we are thinking Sat morning April 5 now 9-12 or so... I hope this is cool and curious on your thoughts on this... !

The Sentinel

I think that would work better

We need time to publicize the event, or it'll just be 3 or 4 people showing up, so I'm okay with slipping it a little...besides, I was thinking about heading to Bootleg on the 15th! :P

still in limbo, been actively pursuing it. But as the date is creeping up here and we still don't have the property nailed down, we are thinking Sat morning April 5 now 9-12 or so... I hope this is cool and curious on your thoughts on this... !

mtbr member
    keep us up dated... seriously interested.

Who has some good crap for exchange? What do you have in your crap bin? Forks, Frames, pedals?

Me: old chainguides, chain rings, bash rings, suspension tuning kits, brk caliper, bars, tons of armor, headsets, shifters, levers and more....
    Bikeless Rider

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Yeah, any date is fine with me, my stuff ain't going anywhere because I am too lazy to sell it.

I reckon I always have bars and stems, probably some pedals, seat posts, cranks, derailleurs. Rapid Rise? Oh yeah...

Oh, and lots of heavy DH wheels in new and newer condition.

JMH

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Guys I think we are back to square one here unfortunately... So we basically need to find some land. I feel like a retard putting this much time into something that didn't pan out... SO, if anyone has a parking lot or a park or whatever we can use, I say lets just do it... Thoughts?

Bored Carp
    Sounds like it should be put on hold and planned for real, for next year. Things like this typically take a lot of work and annoying organizational time.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chuky
    Sounds like it should be put on hold and planned for real, for next year. Things like this typically take a lot of work and annoying organizational time.
    You would think but again this is really informal IMO. It was just a PITA that the owner of the land near the bike Coop got anal about possible liabliity issues and wanted to have them pay to speak to his lawyer about it. So basically I wanted to include them badly but in the end just too much of the PITA. I have never even been down there but wanted to check it out as I have heard cool things and they do good things... But such is life...

So, again I need to take the time to find some land and get it set up. I'm shooting for April 5 which is about 3 weeks away, should be plenty of time.. I have the next couple of days off after today so I hopefully will have it worked out by tomorrow ideally..

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Thanks for all the effort.

JMH

mtbr member
    I'm not a lawyer by any means, but what is wrong with a bunch of guys that just happen to meet at a park somewhere for a get together. Oh, did I mention that these same guys also happened to bring along old bike parts they would like to sell?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pop_martian
    I'm not a lawyer by any means, but what is wrong with a bunch of guys that just happen to meet at a park somewhere for a get together. Oh, did I mention that these same guys also happened to bring along old bike parts they would like to sell?
    Agreed... find a parking lot like Red Butte Gardens, I-street, BobSled, etc, and just make it happen. Call it Critical Mass if we need to. And lets go ride after.
    Bikeless Rider

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    OK guys we are about 90% a go at ESTE pizza which is in Sugarhouse at 2100S between 8 and 9th east. Killer place, probably the best pizza in Utah, good parking lot. The owner premptively said yes but wants to double check with co tenants in the building before 100% yes. But for now plan on the morning of Sat the 5th there at ESTE...

For all you Sugar-hooders great location as well

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast