mtbr member

Another White Rim question - paranoia?

Last time i rode the white rim, i am going to guess we had maybe $5k worth of mountain bikes between the whole group. Now i am thinking we could have easily $25k in bikes - which has prompted me to visualize the whole crew off on side hike soaking in views and cold beer and coming back to see a 4X4 with 15 expensive bikes in the back...

i thought i read somewhere that there has never been a report of a bike stolen on the rim - so my vision seems like paranoia - but do folks do anything to lock bikes up at all?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    If you move them 50' off the road no one will ever notice them. At least I would feel comfortable with that.

JMH

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    But, if you move them 50' off the road, you risk a bit of a fine. Bikes are not allowed of the road. Much less painful than losing a bike, but this sounds like a game of "what if?"

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Good point.

Owner Epic Biking
    I would say you are just being parinoid if it weren't for the time we went camping and had all our camping gear stolen from our campsite while we were sleeping in the tent. It was much closer to civilization than the White Rim is, but still I wouldn't think it wise to leave a $1,000 bill unattended on the side of the road, so it only makes sense to watch your bike or lock it.
    www.epicbiking.com
    Biked to the South Pole, check it out at:
    GoFundMe
    blog
    Facebook page

Climbs = necessary evil
    The thing I recall about White Rim is it's so deserted and isolated, you'll see/hear a vehicle coming from miles away so I can't see it being a worry.

Now camping near Slickrock or the river in Moab, that's another story altogether. A friend had some of his stuff stolen that was stashed under his Jeep while they slept in the tent 10' away last fall.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I agree 100%. That would have to be one motivated, quite, well equipped and fast thief to take off with your gear with you noticing or catching them.

In other areas, I would say you need to be cautious, but considering someone would have to pay the entrance fee, drive several hours and have the equipment to haul off all your gear, the risk seems less than minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerfromco View Post
    The thing I recall about White Rim is it's so deserted and isolated, you'll see/hear a vehicle coming from miles away so I can't see it being a worry.

Now camping near Slickrock or the river in Moab, that's another story altogether. A friend had some of his stuff stolen that was stashed under his Jeep while they slept in the tent 10' away last fall.

Tigers love pepper...
    I thought about that myself then just decided I was being paranoid.

mtbr member
    Thanks all - it would take quite an effort - i think we can continue to rest easy. its just when you calculate the $$, it kinda makes you at least think about it....

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    When are you headed out? I was considering a WRIAD loop this Friday. Other than a little wind, which may or may not change by then, it looks great.

Is Shafer Trail/Road opened? Sometimes they keep it "closed" because of ice/snow this time of year.

Tigers love pepper...
    We are leaving Thursday travelmannn. We'll be traveling from Gooseberry to Candlestick Friday. Find us if you need anything. We'll have an obscene amount of water, tools and supplies if you need anything. You'll probably be through Gooseberry by the time we get up?

My truck is a blue F150 and will have a temp wooden topper on it for the trip. I ride a green Spearfish. Just look for the fat guy in the back of the pack.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'll keep an eye out for you guys. I haven't decided which direction I am riding yet. Currently, the wind is slightly in the favor of riding down Mineral first and finishing up Shafer. If I do it that way, I should certainly see you guys. If I go the other way, I would start at the top of Mineral around daylight, and get to Gooseberry by maybe 9-10a, depending on pace.
    I'm on a Trek red/white HiFi deluxe and answer to Tony. Enjoy your ride and Hopefully I won't be needing anything, but I really appreciate knowing you are out there!

Your Best Friend
    Just thought I'd throw this out there in case anyone hasn't heard. A group of us are doing the White rim in one NIGHT on June 21st. It is the summer solstice so it is the shortest night of the year and, pretty close to a full moon. Should be spectacular. The ride will start at 7pm and we anticipate it should take close to 12 hours. We figure we'll get about 2 hours in before you get to watch the sun set. Sunrise will be about 5:30-6am. This is a fully supported ride in that a lead vehicle will make drops (your own and a community box) at each 25 mile point. A follow vehicle will pick up the drops and anyone who falls out. If you are interested, send me a PM.