mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Another Murray/SLC Visitor

I've read the recent threads on visiting the area and I've got a couple of follow-up questions.

I'm in the area next week and will squeeze in some riding as time permits.

I'm want to take a beginner resort-style easy/fun downhilling, no climbing. If Park City resorts are not open for summer, is there other alternatives where we can just ride a lift up?

My plan is to squeeze some personal time (no beginners with me) in riding up Millcreek Canyon intending to do pipeline. Is it dry enough? I understand there are trails at the top of Millcreek Canyon, are they dry enough? I'm not a fan of tearing up wet trails.

I see there's some trail out by Draper. Are they worth the drive from Murray? Any information on how dry those are?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    All the Draper trails are dry - pretty much anything that is open to the main valley is good to go - when you get up the canyons is where you start to get questionable and it's pretty spotty from location to location for when they dryout or are at least rideable. Most resorts are still closed for the melt season - Snowbird is still actually skiing as of last weekend...

I'd say the best for the beginners would be up behind the U of U where you have the BST and a slew of other trails to pick and choose from as you feel frisky. Most trails unless riding across the face are going to be loops at best with climbing portion and the return down (like Draper - unless riding XC on Anne's or on the Shoreline trail you pedal up the network and ride back down).

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    UtahDog,

Thanks for the feedback. Climbing is not in the cards for my beginner.

It looks like Sundance resort might be the way to go for my beginner as it is open for mountain biking and sounds relatively easy, for me, but my beginner should have fun.

Does anyone know how much climbing there is once off the lift?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    There's a couple loop areas that really don't have too much climbing but combines the BST and stays a little lower - now for climbing I'm assuming like a full-on climb climb, versus just going uphill along a trail. By the U or Corner Canyon would be good fun and very very very ridable next week for ya! I'm down in Draper - hit me up on here if you want specifics for the CC area.

mtbr member
    Round Valley up in Park City is very suitable for beginners that want minimum climbing. Park at the National Ability Center. If the beginner is that new, the descending from lift service may be an issue.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have ridden Round Valley in PC and the Sundance lift served. For a beginner, I would go with Round Valley. The Sundance lift served is not terribly difficult, but harder than round valley. I did Sundance with my brother in law who was a beginner and I think he thought it was pretty challenging.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by stenou View Post
    I have ridden Round Valley in PC and the Sundance lift served. For a beginner, I would go with Round Valley. The Sundance lift served is not terribly difficult, but harder than round valley. I did Sundance with my brother in law who was a beginner and I think he thought it was pretty challenging.
    I found some video online. The easy descents won't be a problem. My beginner likes those. Definitely won't do the harder trails.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be doing Round Valley if time permits!

dedicated beater
    May 2009
    Millcreek Pipeline in SLC is probably one of the best, most enjoyable beginner trails in the area (Round Valley's pretty good too). I'd caution though on sending a beginner up behind the U, just because some of the ups can be a bit too discouraging.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ski_adk View Post
    Millcreek Pipeline in SLC is probably one of the best, most enjoyable beginner trails in the area (Round Valley's pretty good too).
    Any idea what Millcreek is like right now? That would be for me only and not my beginner. Again, I'm not a fan of tearing up wet trails.

mtbr member

Re: Another Murray/SLC Visitor

If you are thinking of doing pipeline by yourself, without your beginner, have you thought of doing part of the BST trail behind the U and hitting the Bobsled descent instead? That is WAY more interesting than Pipeline, imho. It also won't be clogged up with hikers and beginner riders like pipeline gets.
    You can start with Dry Creek up, BST over, then descend down bobsled. You can loop up the road back up to BST and ride back the way you came, or take a lower, quicker way back...or do 2 or 3 loops up the road and down Bobsled (which is 1-way down), before heading back...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by asphalt_jesus View Post
    I found some video online. The easy descents won't be a problem. My beginner likes those. Definitely won't do the harder trails.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be doing Round Valley if time permits!
    Sundance is pretty steep. My friends who I took there didn't have a great time because they were on the brakes the entire time. There's only one trail there that I would consider good for a beginner unless you want to ride the road the entire way down.