pedlr
    Apr 2006

advisory: trail signs gone on whole enchilada

This just came in from the fine folks at trailmix:

WARNING NOTICE!!! MOST SIGNS GONE ON WHOLE ENCHILADA TRAIL SYSTEM ARE GONE!!! ....BURRO...gone, UPS -LPS... gone, NOTCH-SNOTCH....gone, PORCUPINE JCT...gone!!!

This dastardly deed of vandalism will mislead a lot of people until we can get to the trail course to put up some new signs, which of course takes time and money. Please tell your friends, clients or anyone you know who plans to ride this area for the first time about the problem.

Thanks.
    Sandy

mtbr member

Any chance of temporary signs?

We're booked for a shuttle on Wednesday morning to tackle TWE ride. Last year, the weather kept us from going any further than Hazard.
    I wonder if any local bike shops/riders can post temporary signs? I'd hate for my wife and I to get lost up there once the shuttle drops us off
    Every day above ground is a great day!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bradmtb View Post
    We're booked for a shuttle on Wednesday morning to tackle TWE ride. Last year, the weather kept us from going any further than Hazard.
    I wonder if any local bike shops/riders can post temporary signs? I'd hate for my wife and I to get lost up there once the shuttle drops us off
    Sorry - don't know the answer to your question. But, do you have a garmin GPS cyclocomputer? If so, go to Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs and look up TWE on their trail guide section. You can download a GPS course map that can then be converted and uploaded to your Garmin.

If you don't have that, you can also use those coursemaps and upload them to various smart phone programs so you can check your location at intersections. I've Backcountry navigator on my Android phone. It lets you upload a GPS course and will then overlay your position on the course with a preloaded map (so no connection is needed while using it). It has a steep learning curve, but has a 10 days trial so you can play with it a few days before you go and get it figured out.

CAVEAT: I have not used the GPS course the utahmountainbiking has for TWE, but have used their courses for several other rides and they have worked fine. I think that if you have it in your Garmin or in your phone, you will at least have the reassurance that if things get confusing, you have a reference to look at.

pedlr
    Apr 2006
    Your shuttle company should have the skinny on the status of signage.

I'd rather be biking...
    buy a map, Rode it twice this weekend and yes signs are missing especially in the burro pass area where you need them if its your first time. buy a map and ask your shuttle driver and there will be a handful of people getting out of the shuttle van that will know whats going on and where to go.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Is the cog gone from the tree in the Notch, too?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    So will a map get you down Burro and Hazard sections fine without the signs or need GPS points for turns?
    Ive ridden LPS and down many times so not worried from that point down.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Bringing a map, and have ridden down from Hazzard, so that's not a problem.
    Is it easy to figure out once the van drops you off how to get up to Burro and then down to Hazzard?

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    It's easy, just follow the other riders!

mtbr member
    Sounds easy enough, but with my wife, we are usually way behind the other riders especially
    at 10-11k feet elevation. My understanding is that you get dropped off, then climb up about 1200 feet, then start the downhill. I don't think I'll have a hard time figuring out where to start the climb,
    but once my wife and I reach the top, I'll pretty sure everybody on the van will be gone. I'll ask the van driver, and I'm sure they can give me directions.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Don't worry, there will be dozens more passing you, too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    As of Thursday October 11th the signs are all back up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Fresh paint at UPS/LPS/NOTCH/SNOTCH junctions too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Sweet! I will be riding this for the first time next week, weather permitting!