mtbr member

Advice for long trail ride in Park City

I'm a Seattle boy recently relocated to Utah and I'd like to take a long ride (about 6 hours) tomorrow on the Park City singletrack. I've only ridden Park City once, did the Spiro trail and mid-mountain trail, which was great. I was thinking it would be a good idea to follow some of the best trails of the PCP2P, but I am having a few problems: (1) I have the link to the Garmin map of the PCP2P:

Park City Point 2 (to) Point 2011 - Complete Course by jride13 at Garmin Connect - Details

however I'm not sure which parts we should ride. It seems like the more scenic and wild feeling trails would begin at Deer Valley.

(2) My second problem will be navigating this trail system. Looking at skidmap.com, it seems like this trail system is a huge maze, and I don't want to get lost. I would be fine if I did a short ride or loop, but an all day ride like this with more miles has potential for trouble. Are there any good maps for sale out there or other help in this regard?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Its a Maze out there

You can get a good map from local shops made by the mountain trails foundation. I think your right about the Heart of the P2P being after DV. Starting at the base of DV and Following the Course to the Canyons is a sweet ride. I Would detour off the p2p route and climb to jupiter bowl and then access the Crest trail, then take the connector back to Canyons. . It will add a little distance and time. The Crest is an SLC classic.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Chumley for prez!
    You could ride midmountain from DV to the canyons (down rob's/collin's at the canyons) as an out and back. It would be long and hurty with a low probability of getting lost.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. welcorn View Post
    You could ride midmountain from DV to the canyons (down rob's/collin's at the canyons) as an out and back. It would be long and hurty with a low probability of getting lost.

Or... Up Spiro, to Thaynes, up to the Wasatch Crest (assuming it's open) then along the crest. Descend to Canyons via the mid mountain connector and Ambush to lower Holly's. Then climb back up to Mid Mountain via Collin's/Rob's and cross back over to Park City then descend anyone of a number of trails either in PC or DV depending where your legs are at by then.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice folks. The ride was awesome! We started at 6:00 in the morning at Deer Valley at the Silver Lake lodge on the Mid-Mountain trail, got off on the Link and made our way to Keystone and the Wasatch Crest trail. The Wasatch Crest was breathtakingly beautiful and fast! We were making good time so we got off the Wasatch Crest and Desolation Lake and then up to Dog Lake, where we headed down to the Great Western trail for a phenomenal climb back up to the Mid-mountain, which we rode all the way back completing the loop, except for one detour around Iron mountain on Goldfinger and Ironman. 38 miles and 6700 feet of climbing, an amazing and epic ride! My only regret was perhaps that we did the route in the wrong direction, if we had tackled the mid-mountain trail first and come home on the Wasatch crest trail, we would have avoided most of the crowds that gum up the mid-mountain trail.

Here is a link to the garmin map:

Park City Trail Tour by Gregobah at Garmin Connect - Details