mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Advice for an Arizonan Visitor

Hey all:

Was hoping you could give me some intel on some of your great riding. I will be vacationing in Midway/Park City all next week and was hoping you could give me the "must ride" trails in the area while I am there. I'm a fairly capable, technical cross-country rider, so no trail would necessarily be off-limits for me except for extreme free-ride/DH stuff.

There are so many trails up there, I don't even know where to start so any help would be appreciated. I definitely don't want to miss the absolute essentials.

Thanks!

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    Drive down to Salt Lake, Hit the Bobsled and Bonneville Shoreline, Grab some beers from Epic Brewery, and get a sandwich from Moochies.

Check this out too.

Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I assume you want to enjoy the relatively cool mountain air whilst in the PC area. That being said, forget driving down into the salt lake valley. Get a map from Jans and ride the PC trails. You can ride up to crest and down through the canyons if you want a long ride with lots of climbing. I do like the Epic beers suggestion, but you can also get cold full strength bottled beers in PC out of the cold case in Wasatch Brewery at the top of main (or a decent selection of microbrews at the state sticker store and chill 'em yourself).

Your Best Friend
    You can also use The Skid Map . Plenty of trails to check out on there and they can all be downloaded to your garmin or other device. It is pretty handy.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Mid Mountain is a must. Stay in PC. You can pick up some brews at Squatters or Wasatch.

rpalmer
    Aug 2008
    The "must-ride" trails in the Midway/Park City area, in my opinion:

Mid-Mountain Trail -- Ride the whole 20+ miles of it to get a sense of all the different trail options you could have. It starts in Deer Valley and ends at Canyons. Have someone drop you off at one end and pick you up at the other unless you feel like a looong (fun) ride.

Town Loop -- There are many variations of this, but my preference is to park at Park City Mountain Resort parking lot and head up Sweeney's Switchbacks (fairly technical) and John's Trail to get up to Mid-Mountain, follow Mid-Mountain north and come down on Spiro for a fast, flowy downhill.

Glenwild up to Flying Dog -- Long loop ride, worth the climb for the descent down Flying Dog. It might be hot though because of all the south facing climbs. Avoid this one on Saturday (crowds).

Wasatch Crest -- I'm not sure if Wasatch Crest is clear of snow yet, but I think it probably is. Check with a bike shop and don't miss it if it is open. It starts at Guardsman Pass above Deer Valley and follows the ridge top of the Wasatch Mountains down past the north end of the Canyons, ending with a 4000' downhill into Park City. Lots of options for the downhill. Best scenery in Northern Utah.

Those are the best ride options in Park City. There is plenty of singletrack up there to keep you busy for a week. Don't go to Salt Lake City. Compared to Park City there is nothing down there you would be interested in.

Other rides to consider if you get "bored":

Dutch Hollow -- Its in Midway, so you're going to be down there anyway... Print off the map at utahmountainbiking.com and take it with you. There are a lot of trails. Not that you would get lost, but just to help you piece together a decent ride.

Mormon Pioneer Trail -- Surprisingly fun. Its north of Jeremy Ranch, long ride up the hollow and back down again, but it is fun.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Crest has been good to go for a couple weeks.