mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Abajos Mountains?

I'm looking for riding info for the Abajo Mountains by Monticello. Anyone have experience? From what I've read online, they are quite beautiful and rather lightly visited. There's one bike trail that go-utah describes called Gold Queen Basin Trail. The description is more about the scenery than the riding experience. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I live in Moab and have made similar inquires from some of the locals down there in Monticello. I have never gotten any information that sounded ride worthy. It will be some time before the snow melts to do some exploring. Maybe late July.

26er
    I rode down in the Abajos back in 2003 on the aspen trail. I would suggest picking up the forest service map for the area and then you can figure out how to get started...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member

I did a ride there last spring

mid May and there were still alot of downed trees and snowbanks up high making for slow going at first but the trails were mostly dry. I rode up Roberston Pasture trail after getting dropped off at Foy Lake. There's a picture of the rutted section of Robertson Pasture in the current issue of Bike-not mine. Then, then Red Ledges to Aspen Flat trail to the southern terminus and down on a dirt road and to the Indian Creek trail all the way to hwy 211 and Newspaper Rock. It took a lot longer than I thought. It's pretty rugged terrain but some of the singletrack is primo and dropping all the way from high alpine to pinyon/juniper and canyon country made for interesting variety. All told it was about 2500' ascending and 4500' descending in about 5 hours. I remember thinking Red Ledges would be real fun in the other direction, maybe as a loop with Aspen Flat trail accessing from the North Canyon Road (which was closed when I was there).

Anyway, most of those trails are marked on the Trail Illustrated map for the Abajos and there are some ride descriptions in the old classic Moab Guidebook by Todd Campbell "Above and Beyond Slickrock". I had heard about good singletrack there for years and then my thirst was slaked by a passion post by Smilycook way back when

I doubt you'll see another rider unless there's a Western Spirit trip in the area. I would think late May/early June pretty much all of what I did would be rideable but I would check in w/ the local FS office and see if they've done tree removal. I must of encountered at least 50 downed trees.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Wow, that's great info. I had a feeling there was some good stuff there. Maybe it was because of the Western Spirit tours there. I had forgotten about that.

I think I'll get some maps and have a go at it. I'll start with your route.

mtbr member
    I forgot to mention that I saw a bunch of deer, startled a black bear w/ two cubs leading to a bit of a standoff, and then chased a turkey down the trail for what seemed like a mile. I might add that going up Roberson is a bit steep followed by a very steep rocky downhill (but just about always rideable) to the intersection w/ Red Ledges. The 2nd pic is about treeline near the top of Roberson. There's a lot more mountain up there than what you see from hwy191.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for the photos, guys. They certainly make the area look worthy of exploration.

26er
    Post some pictures of your ride and the loop you end up doing, one of these days I will make it back down that way again...

I hadn't heard about the map for the area, I usually end up getting the FS maps.
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail