mtbr member
    Aug 2004

4 days in Park City (first time) what to ride?

Some buddies and I are making our first trip to Park City at the end of September. We have four days of riding, counting the day we arrive (10:30am into SLC), so 3 full days and 1 afternoon.

What should we ride? Our interests are predominantly single track. I would prefer traditional trails rather than lift serviced, but open to whatever is the best riding.

We will probably use two pickup trucks, so we have flexibility for shuttle rides, if required.

Any tips / suggestions appreciated!

mtbr member
    Yesterday I rode up Sweeny's/John's to The Steps to Apex to Keystone, Shadow Lake Loop, up Puke Hill and down Pinecone, Spiro...about 19 miles and 3500 feet of climbing. Quite fun. Flying Dog is great...most ride it counter clockwise to get a swoopy downhill; I prefer clockwise to get more of a rocky descent. The Round Valley area is good for fast, not very steep singletrack. Road to Arcylon is a short loop with fun/challenging downhill and features...Bob's Basin is similar, but easier. There's the midmountain trail and the Crest trail....I'm trying to think of anything in Park City that's NOT singletrack and coming up blank.

Here's an interactive map:
    Mountain Trails Foundation

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I di same trip at same time of year last September. Great weather and fall colors. We're mostly old guys just into cross country, but did Crest Trail, Mid mountain from DV to Spiro, mid mt. from Canyons to CMG, and Flying Dog. All great. Re Crest and mid mountain, you can either start ride from starting elevation by taking lift or shuttle, or use trails to ride up. You should buy a trail map at jan's Sports or white Pine Touring.. You can also ask them for tips. The trail system whether single track or bike path goes all over Park city. From wherever you're staying, you can ride to wahtever trail you want.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Any suggestions suggestions for our one half day of riding? We land in SLC at about 10:30...figure we can get to Park City by noon-ish, grab lunch, pick up our bikes (shipping them ahead), hopefully we can get going by about 1pm...what would be a good use of that afternoon but still get us home before dark?

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe Gator View Post
    Any suggestions suggestions for our one half day of riding? We land in SLC at about 10:30...figure we can get to Park City by noon-ish, grab lunch, pick up our bikes (shipping them ahead), hopefully we can get going by about 1pm...what would be a good use of that afternoon but still get us home before dark?
    Depending on the weather and how you feel I would just take a quick ride up Armstrong, over Mid Mountain and down John's trail.

Please respect the trail system when it is wet, our dirt can have a lot of clay in it and it doesn't respond well to tires when wet. A little water is fine, but if the trails are muddy please stay off of them.

If you need any trail advice, so see White Pine Touring and they'll set you up with some solid recommendations.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Surprised that more people haven't chimed in on this.

Sweeney's/John's in PCMR is a no brainer. Really anything in PC Mountain Resort is pretty sweet.

If looking for a longer ride, from PCMR take Mid Mountain across to Canyons and then ride back on the road.

Damn I miss Park City in the Summer !

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Look at this site for a good list of trails:

Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs

Proud American
    I'm visiting PC right now from Vegas. We did the Mid Mountain starting in Dear Valley all the way to Canyons via Holly (great downhill to resort). The ride was about 27 miles and traverses many forested areas, meadows and ski slopes. It's got some great views and stays at about 8 thousand feet the whole time. My sense is that ride gives you a good PC experience. A nice thing about PC is you take buses pretty much anywhere, so shuttleng doesn't seem necessary. And there free! With bike racks in front. People are really friendly all over town. It's got a great Main Street. I'm exhausted. Goodnight.