Mtbr's 2016 Winter Biking GearReviews and Roundups

FAT BIKES

WINTER APPAREL

TRAINERS

Anytime. Anywhere.

3 Days Of Moab???

I've been to Moab probably 8-10 times but last trip was back in ought 9 so I'm not current. I'm planning a long trip this Spring and some friends of mine are planning a 3 day trip to Moab in the beginning of April. We are all in our 50s but solid riders from Vancouver Island. I want to pick out 3 of the best trails to guide the group on. I will be in Moab for a while prior and will recce the trails so we don't waste time lost. From what I've heard Capt Ahab and Mag 7 are must do's. I've always loved Porcupine Rim and Sovereign. I would appreciate your suggestions and insight.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Going to be there the beginning of April for my first trip so need to watch this thread closely.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    You've got it. Just add TWE.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    you can't do TWE in April, it's still buried on the upper parts

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    woops!

mtbr member
    Be sure and finish Mag 7 with Gold Bar Rim to Portal and don't forget to add Rockstacker and Jackson to your Amasa loops if time allows.

I think I prefer North Kondike and Navajo Rocks to Sovereign for the more XC stuff lately. These are both new since '09 and are still single track. Sovereign OTOH as gotten a bit blown out over the years IMO.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Mag 7, Amasa Back, Navajo Rocks, North Klondike. Navajo Rocks and North Klondike are upper intermediate technical with a few advanced sections here and there for a challenge. The first few trails of Maggie are the same but then it gets challenging.

The Moab Brand Trails are a treat and convenient for short rides. North 40 is fast and has a some technical rocks but the trails around Deadman on the south end of this area will warm you up.

There are a LOT of new trails to explore since 2009. The locals have gone wild with McLeods. The motor trails such as Poison Spider and Sovereign don't get much MTB traffic anymore. Porky is still Porky, same with Slick Rock.

Weather in April can be wet but you guys can deal with rain. Still, 3 days isn't much if one or two are rain days. Lightning is a big issue. Do you want to be the tallest pointy thing out there on those barren rocks?
    MTB blog for intermediates: http://intermediatemtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I'm not the tallest😀

Thanks for the straight dope. I'm pretty excited, at least as excited as an old man can get to hit Utah again. My friends have never been and they have pretty much only been riding BC. It will be about as different as it can get.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    LOTS of riders in their 50's on the technical trails around Moab. I'm 64 and just spent October there. We go every year for at least two weeks. I often meet riders in their 70's.

50 is not old for MTB riders.
    MTB blog for intermediates: http://intermediatemtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

Formerly of Kent
    What are the lowest elevation trails with the most continuous climbing and descending?

Basically, looking for a few trails to get some hard climbing and descending on, just after Christmas.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.
    RLTW!

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    I think 4,200' is the lowest elevation in the Moab area. If you want technical climbing then go up the trails we normally ride down. Climbing Porcupine Rim from the river isn't bad except for the almost impossible to ride in any direction spots, but not many of those. You will climb from river elevation on Amasa Back. Hymasa is really nice either direction.

Climbing Mega Steps, Baby Steps, or Alaska in the North Klondike area is interesting.

Fun descents with all of the above.

For Mag 7 you could climb Portal from the river and finish near Hwy 313, then take the new Horsethief Mesa trails over to Navajo Rocks. If you legs aren't toast after that you could drop the scenic last few miles of 313 to the main highway and then bike through Moab Brand Trails, drop Killer B to the paved bike path and loop back on Potash Road to the bottom of Portal.

Be sure to post here if you do that ride!

Formerly of Kent
    I don't need or want super technical climbing, per se. I want to hit some hard climbs going up, then let it loose on the way down.

I get plenty of rocky, rooty climbing at home in western VA/NC. I want get up as fast as possible, then have fun on the way down.

Death from Below.
    RLTW!

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    You would have to climb roads then. Moab is all about rocks. No long XC climbs. Come here to the Santa Cruz Mountains for that all year. 2 to 3 mile climbs are routine. Henry Coe State Park near Gilroy south of San Jose will give you plenty of riding for days! Some guys do 15,000' days.

Formerly of Kent
    Well, I heard the Moab Rocks stage race had courses like that (less tech up, more down) thus my interest.

Death from Below.
    RLTW!

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Having been to Moab and knowing what trails we enjoy here we will not have any problems with the tougher trail. The exposure may be, we always have trees here and it may give some the willies. I'm also the only one used to riding 3 days in a row since I'm the only retired old fart.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    lap Amasa Back, specifically Hymasa and Ahab. Klondike area is also outstanding.

I'd also put Mag 7 on the list, but there's really no climbing climbing until you hit Gold Bar, assuming you are going out via Portal.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    What are the lowest elevation trails with the most continuous climbing and descending?

Basically, looking for a few trails to get some hard climbing and descending on, just after Christmas.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    You'd better check the weather. We still have a good bit of snow on the ground and if you are riding anything other than a Fat bike you won't be riding. There is more snow anticipated Christmas eve/day. I rode Mag 7 area today and there was still 6" of snow on the trails at the top. The Klondike area looks pretty good at the moment because most of it gets sun all day but I think that will be a different story by next weekend.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    +1 on including Rockstacker on a Ahab/HyMasa ride. There's a bunch of fun, technical rolls and switchbacks on that ride. Check out Pipe Dream as a secondary ride. I haven't done it, but it has been recommended.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahJohn View Post
    lap Amasa Back, specifically Hymasa and Ahab. Klondike area is also outstanding.

I'd also put Mag 7 on the list, but there's really no climbing climbing until you hit Gold Bar, assuming you are going out via Portal.
    Thanks. From my research, that looked like one of the most promising loops. Now, I just need the weather to cooperate.
    Death from Below.
    RLTW!

More Chasmism
    Moab A-List rides:

(1) TWE from as high up as possible
    (2) Amasa / Hymasa & Ahab with Rockstacker / Jackson's possibilities if desired
    (3) Mag 7 through Portal

All of these are predicated on at least intermediate technical tolerance for optimal flow. All are updated versions of Moab classics and offer the default Moab draws (big views, ledgework galore, mix of tempos). All will stick in the memory.

The B-List includes many more rides, some of which some people would bump to A-List for various personal reasons ("I want something simpler", "I want something a little less well known", "I want something shorter", "I've done all the A-Listers", "I want a second ride of the day", etc.). Some B-Listers: Navajo Rocks, Klondike, Bar-M, Deadhorse, Bartlett, Slickrock, Sovereign, Pipe Dream...

This is my opinion only, but it based on having answered this question for (and hearing the opinions of) many riders who have come to Moab.

Cheers.

hfly

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    hfly's advice is good and I agree. However, there are shortcuts that may prove useful such as when a storm is coming in the afternoon and you can't do a full ride.

For Mag 7 I drive down Gemini Bridges road from Hwy 313 and park near Auth's Corner. From there ride up Getaway and then drop Bull Run and Great Escape. Loop back to your vehicle on whatever route you chose. Really a great ride without dealing with shuttles. The road is good except during storms for most vehicles. You need 4WD to go up Gemini Bridges from Hwy 191 due to a sand pit on that segment.

If your crew is tired after climbing Hymasa on Amasa Back or a storm is coming then descending Hymasa is a blast! Less technical than Ahab but plenty to do. Be aware that the creek at the bottom of Amasa Back becomes a raging torrent during a storm, and desert storms can seem benign from a distance...

Another issue is out at North Klondike. Fantastic riding area but it also involves confusing choices. I tend to climb Mega Steps now but I've done Baby Steps before. I descend Alaska and then vary it with different trails about halfway down. However, a lot of folks climb Alaska and drop the Steps, or go farther south on the rim. This is more a flip-a-coin thing. Everyone loves Dino Flow so avoid the road for north south travel. Be very careful about the huge mud holes in the access road if it has recently rained. The 4WD's really muck it up.

mtbr member
    I definitely recommend spending half a day out on the new Navajo Rocks trails.... super fun, and enough variety to keep everyone happy.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    smmokan, yep, I agree. I also love the big vistas at Navajo Rocks! That drop down on slick rock on Ramblin' from the middle parking lot is super good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post
    smmokan, yep, I agree. I also love the big vistas at Navajo Rocks! That drop down on slick rock on Ramblin' from the middle parking lot is super good.
    Plus one. I enjoyed my loop out there. That section from the middle parking lot down on Ramblin' was especially bomber the day I did it due to a nice brisk tail wind.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    KRob, I'm thinking of doing laps on that slick rock dropdown. Not like the rest of Ramblin and Rocky Tops are boring but making a right on that road at the bottom and returning quickly to the parking lot for another lap is an interesting alternative.