Thread: 29er in Moab?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

29er in Moab?

Does anyone here ride a 29er out in Moab? I ride a Niner Rip9 (120mm f/r) and I'm wondering if this will be enough bike to handle trails like Porcupine Rim and others around the area. It soaks up small chatter very well and has made several 4-5 foot drops in the past, but I hate to take it out there only to bring it back in pieces. Thanks in advance for any advice!

beater
    Not a local, but I've ridden 29ers in Moab many times. Your RIP9 should work well for you. Have fun!
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    I saw several on Porc last time I rode it. Not as common as on other trails, I suppose (some trails around here seem to be almost 50/50), but they seemed to be doing just fine. I know my uncle has ridden his SC Tallboy on Porc a few times as well.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Your making too much of this wheel size thing.

You bike is perfect for Moab. I think the differences between wheel sizes are overstated, but this is the first time I have heard anyone think thier bike could not go somewhere because of the wheel size. Personally I think Moab in general is ideal for 29 inch wheels. Lots of Undulation, Chunks, and short sections that require monentum.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgreene2010 View Post
    Does anyone here ride a 29er out in Moab? I ride a Niner Rip9 (120mm f/r) and I'm wondering if this will be enough bike to handle trails like Porcupine Rim and others around the area. It soaks up small chatter very well and has made several 4-5 foot drops in the past, but I hate to take it out there only to bring it back in pieces. Thanks in advance for any advice!
    Absolutely LOVED my Rip 9 out in Moab. It did great on Amasa back and a bunch of other trails. Didn't get a chance to do Porcupine on that trip, but I wouldn't hesitate to take the RIP there. Have fun!

Sent from my Galaxy S3

2006 Yeti AS-X
    My buddy rode a rigid 29'er in Moab last year - had no problem. Of course, Moab was the only place I could beat him on my Yeti AS-X as the 7" of suspension made the chunk much smoother whereas he was feeling all of the chunk.

It's doable!
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

Chumley for prez!
    29er in Moab...L'impossible!

Is this Eundro'ing?
    Ya, you'll be just fine.

My buddy rode a RIP the last 2 times we were out there and I was on a FS 29er myself (Ellsworth Evolve). No problem. In fact, we had a blast. Go figure.

This year, I'll have my Lenz Lunchbox. I hope it's OK for the trails out there. j/kidding OP!!

Take your RIP, you'll love it!

Bike Snob
    My last trip thru Moab I only had a SS fully rigid 29er. While I would not recommend this set up, I actually had a blast.
    When I first started riding there was no such thing as suspension so this trip was a throw back to the way we once did it.
    Did my hands and arms ache by the time I was done? Hell ya they did, just like the old days.

So when a guy is asking if his 120mm RIP can actually handle the trails, I have to laugh and ask, WHAT KIND OF PUSSIES HAVE WE TURNED IN TO?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway View Post
    You bike is perfect for Moab. I think the differences between wheel sizes are overstated, but this is the first time I have heard anyone think thier bike could not go somewhere because of the wheel size. Personally I think Moab in general is ideal for 29 inch wheels. Lots of Undulation, Chunks, and short sections that require monentum.
    It's not the wheel size I'm worried about, it was the suspension. The bike is built tough and can handle quite a bit, but I'm from Missouri and even our toughest trails aren't anything like Moab.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by can't get right View Post
    So when a guy is asking if his 120mm RIP can actually handle the trails, I have to laugh and ask, WHAT KIND OF PUSSIES HAVE WE TURNED IN TO?
    Not sure how to take that comment. I'm from the midwest where our trails are a little different than out west. I've read a lot of forums that recommend 6" travel bikes, hence my question. I guess I'm the kind of ***** that can't afford another $5000 bike if I break mine riding it on a trail it's not made for....figured I would at least ask. Thanks to the others for the input though.

Is this Eundro'ing?
    Not sure how to take that comment. I'm from the midwest where our trails are a little different than out west. I've read a lot of forums that recommend 6" travel bikes, hence my question. I guess I'm the kind of ***** that can't afford another $5000 bike if I break mine riding it on a trail it's not made for....figured I would at least ask. Thanks to the others for the input though.
    Hey bro. I'm from the Midwest as well. I've been to Moab twice - once on a 26" Spesh Stumpjumper FSR and once on a 29" Ellsworth Evolve 100mm f/r travel. The Ellsworth was fantastic for everything I rode (Amasa Back, Bartletts Wash, Sovereign, The Whole Enchilada) except for Burro Pass. The steep descent had me a bit nervous cuz I felt I could go over the bars at any point.

You will have a fuggin blast on the RIP out there, trust me. My buddy loves his RIP on the Moab trails.

When are you going out there? I'll be heading out there the first week of October...
    2013 Lenz PunkAss Lunchbox -- One of a Kind
    2013 Salsa Mukluk
    2011 Niner MCR 9

Bike Snob
    I was literally aiming at nearly the entire MTBR populace. Our scooters have become so plush and the technology so great that it seems as if we have forgotten from whence we have come.
    The Porc Rim trail all by itself used to be all day epic and you were completely trashed by the end. Now I can do the Whole Enchilada twice in one day then get up and do Amasa/ Jackson the next.

I have rarely ridden Porc when I did not see some sort of carnage, but I doubt you could break your RIP there.
    And this comment " I guess I'm the kind of ***** that can't afford another $5000 bike if I break mine riding it on a trail it's not made for" makes me crazy. What did you buy the bike for if not to ride it hard. The RIP is more than capable of handling that trail, I think the problem might lie with the user interface.

mtbr member
    I was literally aiming at nearly the entire MTBR populace. Our scooters have become so plush and the technology so great that it seems as if we have forgotten from whence we have come.
    The Porc Rim trail all by itself used to be all day epic and you were completely trashed by the end. Now I can do the Whole Enchilada twice in one day then get up and do Amasa/ Jackson the next.

I have rarely ridden Porc when I did not see some sort of carnage, but I doubt you could break your RIP there.
    And this comment " I guess I'm the kind of ***** that can't afford another $5000 bike if I break mine riding it on a trail it's not made for" makes me crazy. What did you buy the bike for if not to ride it hard. The RIP is more than capable of handling that trail, I think the problem might lie with the user interface.
    Twice from Burro?

Bike Snob
    Quote Originally Posted by birmy View Post
    Twice from Burro?
    Ya got me.

First run from Hazzard Co.

Second run from the Loop Road.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Ya got me.

First run from Hazzard Co.

Second run from the Loop Road.
    Still, that's a lot of hearty riding.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Perfect. Since I rode Moab with no suspension 20 yrs ago, I'm thinking the exact same thing....

Is this Eundro'ing?
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Slo4U View Post
    Perfect. Since I rode Moab with no suspension 20 yrs ago, I'm thinking the exact same thing....
    I good friend of mine rides nothing other than a rigid on Porcupine. To each his own.

Cavemen used sticks and tinder to start a fire. Advancements in technology aren't all that bad.
    2013 Lenz PunkAss Lunchbox -- One of a Kind
    2013 Salsa Mukluk
    2011 Niner MCR 9

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

My friends and I rode out there a couple years ago. Three guys and one girl. We were there for a week and hit all the good stuff, including porc rim (the upper section was still snow coverered though, so we only rode the bottom half). The bikes were; 29er singlespeed w/f29, 29er singlespeed w/f29, 29er singlespeed w/f29 and 29ersinglespeed w/rigid steel fork.

I think you'll be just fine on a full suspension 29er.

29ers Only.
    Your RIP 9 will kill it in Moab. Poison Spider is a dealer if you need anything, but I bet you will be fine. The whole Niner crew spends a lot of time in Moab and Fruita, I live there for a month a year. The RIP 9 and WFO 9 are great Burro Down bikes.

Our personal set ups include bash rings, dropper posts and big tires for lots of fun.

Cheers,
    Carla
    Niner Bikes

Passion. Commitment. 29ers only.

Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks for the helpful advice guys. Sorry if I offended anyone by not being familiar with the Utah trails... I DID by my bike to ride it hard and I run it through the ropes here in Missouri, especially for a guy of 235#. I don't have endless funds or a sponsorship to replace broken parts though...I have a wife who grimaces every time I make a bike purchase! Thanks for the info though everyone.

Bassmaster
    Jul 2012
    trade her in on a newer/younger make and model then

Thread Terrorist
    I heard Utah just passed a law banning 29ers.

Seriously, they do just fine.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    6" of travel=$5000? Huh? "Back in the day" we all rode fully rigid and got all beat to heck (that's all we knew) but our bikes never broke. Of course, now people ride Moab fully rigid because it's cool.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    6" of travel=$5000? Huh?
    That's not what he wrote...
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.