Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

New question here. ~$700 DJ for 6'5" talll guy?

Edit - please see my 2nd post in addition to this one.

I'm looking for a bike. I'm 6'5" 205 lbs w/ 36" inseam. Took my kids to The Lumberyard in Portland and got bit by the bug. They really enjoyed it so we're going to be going there more.

I turned 40 last year. Ridden road and XC for a while but want to be able to share the DJ park experience with my kids(4 and 6 yr old boys) and always wanted to learn to clear those pump track jumps. I was living the dream last week when all three of us were riding at the same time at the lumberyard wearing big smiles. I built my kids some small rollers to practice on at home which I think helped them get ready for the lumberyard.

I have a full suspension XC but it's not the best for riding there. Rented a DJ and man, was that fun. Would like to get one to ride some stuff around my home as well.

I've read some older threads about this subject but I'm curious what options are currently out there for a ~$700 budget?

Appreciate any input!
    Last edited by somegeek; 02-15-2014 at 02:23 PM.

mtbr member
    You're going to want a DJ frame that is a Large or XL. Small is typically 21.5" actual top tube (measured center of seat tube to center of head tube). Medium is 22". Large is 22.5"ish. 23" would be considered XL. I'm not aware of any non-custom DJ-specific frames longer than 23"tt. However, I think 22.5" or 23" would fit you well.

The TRANSITION Trail or Park 23" would particularly be good (although that model is not made any more), because it's built with a lower bottom bracket and intended for a 100mm travel fork. The "cockpit" will therefore feel roomy.

[URL="http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/f61/large-xl-dirt-jump-frame-bike-info-258270/"]http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/f61/large-xl-dirt-jump-frame-bike-info-258270/[/URL

Thoughts on Rocky Mountain Flow DJ 2010?

The Rocky Mountain DJ from 2011 was one of the few complete DJ bikes in your price range that came with a long front end.

You can also make a frame feel longer with a 70mm stem, although in general it's better to get the correct frame length and run a standard DJ stem length which is about 50mm.

mtbr member
    Sizing aside, I would up your budget a couple hundred. It will expand your options and you'll get a more solid bike for your size.
    Ignoranus: (N) A person who is both stupid and an a**hole.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for this info and the reality check. Yeah - kinda took a stab at what I thought I'd need to spend. I know the sky is the limit with bikes, but what price am I looking at for an entry level built DJ in my size? Bike suggestions?

I'd rather spend $ on something that will fit properly vs $ on something that I will regret buying because I skimped on a few hundred. Done that before and learned from it.

Thanks.

somegeek

mtbr member
    This is a good option in your price range: Haro Bikes - MTB - Bikes - Freestyle MTB - Steel Reserve 1.2

The long size has a top tube just over 22", a good fit and the price is right. If the cockpit still feels small you can always buy a little longer stem.

(BTW: I go to the lumberyard too, usually on Saturdays a couple times a month)
    Last edited by Wulf1971; 02-16-2014 at 09:55 AM.
    Ignoranus: (N) A person who is both stupid and an a**hole.

mtbr member
    Craiglist can be pretty good for DJ bikes. Just search DJ and "jump" and "jumper" ....

specialized p2 dirt jumper

2013 Kona Shonky dirt jumper

2008 Blk Mrkt .357 Dirt Jumper - $400 (Seattle)
    2008 Blk Mrkt .357 Dirt Jumper

You can also run some 4" rise bmx cruiser bars if you want a taller feel (for not hunching down as much). These are Immortis Bucket bars, which or sort of copies of or inspired-by S&M C4 bars which aren't made anymore.

Keep in mind that bmx bars have a clamp area that is 7/8" or 22.2mm instead of the mtb size of 1" or 25.4mm (not to mention 31.8" for DH).

You can get bmx stems with up to 63mm reach. Like the Profile Mark Mulville stem: Profile Racing E-Store So, if you wanted to make your frame feel roomier, you could run this stem.

mtbr member
    Eastern MadDog on serious sale....

Eastern Maddog Bike 2013 > Complete Bikes > Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

It says it has a 22.5" top tube.

The Eastern Thunderbird and Eastern NightTrain had 21.5" if I remember right.

So either they did make the Maddog longer, or it's a typo/mistake.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I would check out transitions BLT or PBJ they both come in a large frame option. I rode the large frame option of the BLT, I'm 5'11, and it was huge. Tons of room. The guy I borrowed it from was 6'3" and he said it was the best fitting dj bike he has ever owned.
    https://www.transitionbikes.com/2014/Bikes_PBJ.cfm?Token={ts_2014-02-11_08:48:36}-d614de6769888eb9-4CE0878E-AAB4-1F95-A5AAF5C72135F9EC

it is unfortunately over your budget but maybe you can find one on the internet on discount or a used one. That guys said he bought his from a shop in WA and paid about $1000 after shipping for a 2013 model brand new

mtbr member
    Im 6'5" my self and i am running a fireeye shortfuse 360 (24") even with my lanky legs it is fine. I would say, just build one from an NS frame.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for this info!

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4130 View Post
    What are your thoughts on this bike? Am I missing much by buying a six year old bike? Don't imagine the frames have changed that much.

mtbr member

Re: ~$700 DJ for 6'5" talll guy?

Quote Originally Posted by somegeek View Post
    Thanks for this info!

What are your thoughts on this bike? Am I missing much by buying a six year old bike? Don't imagine the frames have changed that much.
    No that looks pretty nice, the age shouldn't matter too much

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Sorry - meant to post this one - Specialized P2 Dirt Jumper - $900

Thoughts?

mtbr member

Thoughts?
    Looks better Yeah dude go for whatever you prefare.

beater

~$700 DJ for 6'5" talll guy?

If you're looking for a DJ on a budget, I would take some of these suggestions and figure out what you're looking for, and what you want to spend, and then filter the Pinkbike classifieds for DJ bikes and USA, and spend a week watching. There's an enormous amount options there. I saw loads of Transition ToPs and NS Suburbans in a couple weeks. You should be able to find something nice in your budget. I think a lot of people buy DJs and realize they don't use them as much as they expected.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    both look good, the geo has changed a bit in the last few years. I have a '07 night train and it is a solid bike but things have gotten better and lighter but both are solid bikes to get you in the game, IMO

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    If you're looking for a DJ on a budget, I would take some of these suggestions and figure out what you're looking for, and what you want to spend, and then filter the Pinkbike classifieds for DJ bikes and USA, and spend a week watching. There's an enormous amount options there. I saw loads of Transition ToPs and NS Suburbans in a couple weeks. You should be able to find something nice in your budget. I think a lot of people buy DJs and realize they don't use them as much as they expected.
    that is great advice, figure out what you are looking for and set a budget and start looking. I would recommend trying to ride as many as you can. Maybe start by going to your local ride spot/bike park(lumber yard) and asking people to ride their bike.
    A lot of these bikes look similar but ride very different.

What bike did you rent and ride the last time? what did you like about it? Best to make an informed purchase so you don't have to buy a new one next year....

Like I mentioned I have a Eastern Night train '07 I got it for a steal, I couldn't beat the price but now I'm back in the market because it isn't really the bike I want. I've rode more bikes now and know more of what I want.... I'd recommend you do the same... good luck

mtbr member

Thoughts?
    No. Overpriced and weird. Suntour XCR is a low end fork (they're new for $100-ish).
    True the Chris King hubs are expensive. But otherwise that bike should be about $350-$400.
    Not clear if those are higher end BMX Redlines or were taken off a complete like a Redline Monocog mtb or something.

mtbr member

No. Overpriced and weird. Suntour XCR is a low end fork (they're new for $100-ish).
    True the Chris King hubs are expensive. But otherwise that bike should be about $350-$400.
    Not clear if those are higher end BMX Redlines or were taken off a complete like a Redline Monocog mtb or something.
    Yeah the suntours are the only thing i noticed seemed abit crap haha Im running like $100 rockshox, so mine aren't much better.

mtbr member

This is my 24". It cost around 700 to build which i think is just over $1000 o_O But i got the frame 200 off the RRP from Chain Reaction haha

mtbr member
    Other than certain companies coming out with "park" geo (ultra ultra short back end and zero drop bb), I don't think geo has changed enough since the late 2000's to make you not buy a bike from that time. (I say that as a person who still has a 2008 Black Market Mob). Between my 24" park bike, bmx 24"s, and the Mob, having a super short back end (like less than 15.5") and a zero drop bb height is noticeable, but it does not make riding jumps more stable; for tech street in a bmx style, it feels more snappy (like for 180/360 bunny hops etc) but for trails/jumps, I dont think you gain anything. Of course people have personal preferences though.

mtbr member
    As you mention geometry's there, that frame i am riding has a super short back end as it is a supposed street frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Admittedly, I'm a newbie at DJ. Just getting on the bike that I did at the lumberyard felt very foreign compared to my Specialized Enduro or my road bike geometries. The bike I rented one day at the Lumberyard was much more fun than my full suspension on that terrain but felt very compact. I knew this was a different type of bike so this was expected, but after a few hours, I felt like the cockpit could have been a little more stretched out.

Thanks for the advice regarding pink bike. I'll start checking that out and post here if I find something that looks decent. Buying used to save $ on a first DJ would be sweet to get my bearings. If it doesn't work out and I want different geometry, I can flip it.

Appreciate everyone's input so far!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    having a super short back end (like less than 15.5") and a zero drop bb height is noticeable, but it does not make riding jumps more stable; for tech street in a bmx style, it feels more snappy (like for 180/360 bunny hops etc) but for trails/jumps, I dont think you gain anything. Of course people have personal preferences though.
    I would agree with you 100% on this... it would actually make the bike less stable but more snappy but unless you are sending big stuff I don't feel the need to have a super stable bike like the Transition PBJ and would personally opt for something more like a BLT that is more snappy and responsive . I think the geo changes are mostly subtle but the HA, tt, CSL and BB heights have changed over the last couple years especially. You are right a lot of companies like NS, Deity and Transition are now coming out with dirt and park frames... things are more specific built but it is personal preference

mtbr member
    Admittedly, I'm a newbie at DJ. Just getting on the bike that I did at the lumberyard felt very foreign compared to my Specialized Enduro or my road bike geometries. The bike I rented one day at the Lumberyard was much more fun than my full suspension on that terrain but felt very compact. I knew this was a different type of bike so this was expected, but after a few hours, I felt like the cockpit could have been a little more stretched out.
    If you were riding a Medium, at your height, I agree. But in general DJ bikes are less stretched out than XC. What it does is shift your standing stance back to where you are centered over the bottom bracket or even a little behind it. This lets the front end come up when boosting a jump.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for that explanation. Make a lot of sense.

The Santa Cruz Jakal is the one I rode. The bar was flat as well, no rise. Seems like if it had a few inches of rise, I would not have felt so hunched over?

I've also read about lower bottom brackets on some frames as well helping taller riders feel less 'on-top' of their bike. Is this true?

I'm sure I'll be happy riding something close to the mark. Sounds like if I can get a large frame with a low bottom bracket, I can make some adjustments later with a riser bar and slightly longer stem if needed?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast