Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Yeah definitely. I know it's a popular look right now, but a flat bar on a DJ bike is way too low for me. Switching the flat bars for some 3", 3.5" etc. will make a massive difference.

As for bb height, yes that's true. You can tell by looking at a complete bike from the side whether the crank bolt is below the level of the wheel axles. Most DJ bikes are. However, it can be weirdly inconsistent to compare stats across different bikes because companies measure this stuff differently. Tire height and fork height will change what a reported bb height is. (And fork height can vary a lot. For example, the Black Market Edit1 says 12.75"bb height, but that's with a 414 axle to crown fork (which is a lot lower than a typical suspension fork 457mm a-c (80mm travel) or 477mm a-c(100mm travel).

Frames

Then, like with Transition, the BLT has zero bb drop and the PBJ has 1" bb drop. (Those names don't help me remember. Heh. PBJ's are more gooey?).
    https://www.transitionbikes.com/2014...7#divGeometryI

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yeah it sure would be nice if every company used BB drop and not BB height measurement as BB height has so many variables. BB drop is the most accurate. Positive number the BB is below the axle and negative number the BB is above the axle

most modern BMX bikes have a (-) negative BB drop, most DJ bikes are (+) positive BB height and I think I'm safe to say all road and normal MTB bikes have a (+) positive BB height or a lower slung BB so to start with you will most likely feel more at home on a lower BB and it will depend on the type of riding you plan to do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cglasford View Post
    Yeah it sure would be nice if every company used BB drop and not BB height measurement as BB height has so many variables. BB drop is the most accurate. Positive number the BB is below the axle and negative number the BB is above the axle

most modern BMX bikes have a (-) negative BB drop, most DJ bikes are (+) positive BB height and I think I'm safe to say all road and normal MTB bikes have a (+) positive BB height or a lower slung BB so to start with you will most likely feel more at home on a lower BB and it will depend on the type of riding you plan to do.
    Yeah, you're right! But "negative bb drop" (to actually mean positive bb rise) sounds weird to me. No one in BMX would say that. Heh heh. It's bb drop or bb rise.

BMX

TRIALS

ROAD
    Last edited by cmc4130; 02-17-2014 at 03:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yeah you are right, plus most people don't look at these things or understand them. I know I didn't until I started riding a bunch of bikes and wondering why I liked one and didn't like another and asking a bunch of questions and reading a bunch of forums. Untiil then I couldn't put my finger on it until I started really looking at Geometry of them and started to notice little differences. .5 degree HA hear, few mm of BB height there, a few mm of top tube or chain stay length... all these little numbers add up and can really change the ride and feel of a bike at least to me or IMO

mtbr member
    yeah definitely. the lame part, though, is when companies start marketing these small differences as being what a person "needs" for some type of riding.
    like when i first got into DJ mtb's, most bmx'ers (I was one for many years) were still saying that jumping mountain bikes (or even just 26" wheels at all) was stupid, that 20"s were "designed" for bmx riding. yeah.... well kind of.... more like 20" wheels were an accident of history because bmx racing started as a kids sport on schwinn stingrays--then they got gradually adapted and riders adapted themselves and got really good at riding them. with the size of ramps and dirt that bmx is at right now, i'd argue that 22" wheels are better than 20"s. but it's still been slow (but steady) to catch on, for industry and cultural reasons, not real reasons.
    22's Go Here - BMXmuseum.com Forums

so i like to see when people push different designs and try things on new setups. like danny macaskill riding 'trials' and 'bmx street' on the same bike. or andreu lacondeguy riding FMX-sized jumps and busting "bmx" tricks....
    a lot of people think the person is supposed to conform to the bike (one size fits all) instead of people figuring out different bikes they like. and it always comes back to the rider, not the bike, as far as what's possible.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yeah for sure.. That is why I encourage people to ride as many bikes as they can. Sure a Deity Crypt Keeper is better for dirt because it is designed for it but one most definitely can shred it in a park just takes a little bit more input to make it perform the way the Street sweeper would and visa versa... it is 100% the rider and not the bike, as long as we aren't talking POS big box store bikes, and the majority of us will never reach the limits of what our bikes can do. plus you can never have too many bikes, haha

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    What are your thoughts on this bike/price?

Black Market Riot 22.5" TT - Pinkbike

I contacted the seller and he's 6'4" and said this fits pretty good.

somegeek

mtbr member

Re: ~$700 DJ for 6'5" talll guy?

Quote Originally Posted by somegeek View Post

somegeek
    That one actualy looks pretty sweet, it should also be a good size for you.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

mtbr member

somegeek

I could be wrong, but I had the impression that the Riot only came in 21.5" or 22"tt. Not sure.

Also, I don't recall X-Fusion Velvet fork coming in white. Very well could have.

I think it's a little overpriced. The new Black Market .357 complete was going for $750/800-ish a few years ago.

I have seen similar used Black Market complete used, for more like $550 / $600 .... Like this: Blkmrkt riot 26" 600$ or trade for bmx - Pinkbike

To be fair though, a complete build, starting with a $400 frame does add up to $1400-$1600....

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4130 View Post
    I could be wrong, but I had the impression that the Riot only came in 21.5" or 22"tt. Not sure.

Also, I don't recall X-Fusion Velvet fork coming in white. Very well could have.

I think it's a little overpriced. The new Black Market .357 complete was going for $750/800-ish a few years ago.

I have seen similar used Black Market complete used, for more like $550 / $600 .... Like this: Blkmrkt riot 26" 600$ or trade for bmx - Pinkbike

To be fair though, a complete build, starting with a $400 frame does add up to $1400-$1600....
    Thanks for the reply CMC. The seller of the $850 bike stated he thinks it's a 2011. He said it was not noted when he bought it off pinkbike initially so he doesn't know.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    What are your thoughts on this one? Specialized P3

specialized p3 - Pinkbike

Not getting much response on the MOBs I've seen so far.

somegeek

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Looks solid... I personally like specialized stuff... best stuff from the big brands IMO... make him and offer

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    And soderstrom rides one and he is pretty tall so it should fit you

mtbr member
    What are your thoughts on this one? Specialized P3

specialized p3 - Pinkbike

Not getting much response on the MOBs I've seen so far.

somegeek
    The Specialized P. bikes used to come in different sizes. Now I think maybe they're all Mediums? Like 22" top tube? Not sure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yeah one size now... 22 inch... I'm 5'11" and I like it a lot with a 40mm stem

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Saw Soderstrom in a pic and that was convincing. Dude is like 6'5"?

My LBS has the 2014 Specialized P3 on sale for $1170. Gonna check it out tomorrow.

Thanks again for the replies.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Pulled the trigger and picked up a Specialized P3 yesterday. Feels pretty good however I'm going to look at replacing the 40mm stem with a 60mm and the 1.5"(I think) stock riser with a 2.5" - 3" riser. Gonna start a separate thread to get some input there from taller riders.

mtbr member
    Pulled the trigger and picked up a Specialized P3 yesterday. Feels pretty good however I'm going to look at replacing the 40mm stem with a 60mm and the 1.5"(I think) stock riser with a 2.5" - 3" riser. Gonna start a separate thread to get some input there from taller riders.
    Sounds like a good plan. Def get 3"s, 3.25"s, or maybe even NS District 4"s.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    these are the bars I would get... 80mm rise

RIVERA

and they still rock a 31.8 clamp diameter.... I personally wouldn't go over 50mm with a stem on a DJ bike but do what make the bike feel best for you... it will start to change the handling

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for the component suggestions. I'll check 'em out. Maybe I'll just go with the risers first to see what that does for me. The sweep is putting the grips back towards me... are there zero sweep bars out there? Is this a bad option?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Not that I'm aware off... some other popular dj bars are

deity ::: Topsoil Handlebar - deity components

SPANK Bike's website/tools for superheroes

NS Bikes 2014 - Stay True!

the only bars with an 80mm rise that I know of with a 31.8 clamp diameter are those kores, other wise you have to go to a 25.4

I don't know about that personally i've seen those little bars break with the higher rises.... I personally like the higher rise but I know a lot of guys are going low rise or no rise these days....

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cglasford View Post
    these are the bars I would get... 80mm rise

RIVERA

and they still rock a 31.8 clamp diameter.... I personally wouldn't go over 50mm with a stem on a DJ bike but do what make the bike feel best for you... it will start to change the handling
    Thanks for this. $49 at my LBS. Will check 'em out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Still riding this bike stock. I put in a half day at my local indoor park and I'm getting used to this geometry now. I dig it! I may look at a 50mm stem and higher riser in time but for now it feels okay. Thanks for all the replies!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    glad it is working out!

mtbr member
    Still riding this bike stock. I put in a half day at my local indoor park and I'm getting used to this geometry now. I dig it! I may look at a 50mm stem and higher riser in time but for now it feels okay. Thanks for all the replies!
    pics ?!
    ; )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2