mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Your thoughts on Gold Labels?

I currently have a zocchi dirt jam comp and am looking to upgrade to a nicer, more adjustible and STIFFER fork. The current one is one its stiffest setting and is still way too soft. I was looking at the gold label II for $260 or the pike on pricepoint for $380. I like the idea of the pike, but I would have to get a new hub and the wheel rebuilt.

So, how do you like the gold label jump series II. Is it stiff? How is the adjustibility of it? Your thoughts in general?

This is the gold label I was looking at:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...%20ATB%20Forks

Thanks.
    Last edited by nitrousflame; 09-29-2006 at 08:10 AM.

Local Paperboy Hero
    I really like my Gold Label Jump Series II. However, it is not very adjustable, and to me, it is pretty soft. You can only adjust the rebound. And I don't feel much of a difference when I adjust it. It feels soft to me compared to my previous fork, a Dirt Jumper III. But, to tell you the truth, almost all susp forks seem soft to me because I strictly rode solid BMXs for almost 20 years before I started DJing on a MTB. To me, the best thing about the Gold Label is how light it is. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousflame
    I currently have a zocchi dirt jam comp and am looking to upgrade to a nicer, more adjustible and STIFFER fork. The current one is one its stiffest setting and is still way too soft. I was looking at the gold label II for $260 or the pike on pricepoint for $380. I like the idea of the pike, but I would have to get a new hub and the wheel rebuilt.

So, how do you like the gold label jump series II. Is it stiff? How is the adjustibility of it? Your thoughts in general?

This is the gold label I was looking at:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...%20ATB%20Forks

Thanks.
    That link you posted to Nashbar shows a Gold Series II for use with standard quick-release axle hubs. My Gold Label only works with 20mm thru axle, didn't realize they made anything different.

At any rate, I really like mine so far, but I've only ridden a few times on it. As stated above, it is a little softer than I thought it would be, but I really like the light weight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GotMojo?
    That link you posted to Nashbar shows a Gold Series II for use with standard quick-release axle hubs. My Gold Label only works with 20mm thru axle, didn't realize they made anything different.

At any rate, I really like mine so far, but I've only ridden a few times on it. As stated above, it is a little softer than I thought it would be, but I really like the light weight.
    I have QR, this is why I was looking at this fork. I'd probably just get a 10mm bolt on axel though...

How easy is it to bottom out on the gold label?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I haven't got mine to bottom out yet, but I don't do a lot of jumping. Its just mainly used for pump track riding.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cru Jones
    I really like my Gold Label Jump Series II. However, it is not very adjustable, and to me, it is pretty soft. You can only adjust the rebound. And I don't feel much of a difference when I adjust it. It feels soft to me compared to my previous fork, a Dirt Jumper III. But, to tell you the truth, almost all susp forks seem soft to me because I strictly rode solid BMXs for almost 20 years before I started DJing on a MTB. To me, the best thing about the Gold Label is how light it is. Hope this helps.
    Try swapping for an x-firm spring in your Gold Label. There are no replacement springs for the Dirt Jams.

You may have cracked the spring preload collar on the DJ Comp. It's plastic and is known to fail on heavier riders or under hard use. Preload is never a solution anyways. It makes the initial travel harsh without increasing bottoming resistance, and too much preload can cause the coil to bind and fail. Plus the fork is little more than spring loaded tubes with an elastometer.

The Gold Label should be pretty hard to bottom. It's a TPC+ derived system, and TPC+ ramps up in the end stroke. The fork is targeted at aggressive riders after all.

Local Paperboy Hero
    I have QR, this is why I was looking at this fork. I'd probably just get a 10mm bolt on axel though...

I think they have it mislabeled on their website. The QR version is the Jump Series I. That is the only difference between it and the Jump Series II (the Jump Series II has 20 mm thu axle). At any rate, I would make sure that you are getting a QR version if that is what you need. You don't want to order a series II and get a real series II with the 20mm thru axle if you need QR.

I do lots of jumping on my Gold Label and I haven't bottomed it out. It just seems soft initially, in the first part of the travel. It stiffens up quite a bit as it is compressed.

Too Kool for Skool
    I have one in the mail and it should get here today or tomorow. Ill try and remember to post up my results.Im coming from the same fork but im getting the 80mm version instead of the 100
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    it's short but it's pretty.... just like a guatemalan hooker...

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by theg1ant
    I have one in the mail and it should get here today or tomorow. Ill try and remember to post up my results.Im coming from the same fork but im getting the 80mm version instead of the 100
    Why didn't you simply pull it apart and change the travel internally? That would've been much cheaper.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by theg1ant

Thanks. Do you find the dirt jam comp to be too soft too?

Too Kool for Skool
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    Why didn't you simply pull it apart and change the travel internally? That would've been much cheaper.
    Actually it was about 25 bucks cheaper for the 80mm version where i got it
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    it's short but it's pretty.... just like a guatemalan hooker...