mtbr member
    Oct 2006

XC/Urban, maybe a little bit of trials?

I don't have the money now, but this question is burning a hole in my brain.

I have a squishy bike (Specialized Enduro Comp) and ride it in a pretty hardcore XC style (I guess that's All Mountain?) and would like a lighter hardtail to screw around with, just because it's so light and responsive.

BUT, I've always admired urban, and especially trials. Since I really doubt my ability with trials, it would probably be limited to learning to bounce on my back wheel and jump over/between small stuff. But I do intend to do a fair amount of urban.

SO, can it be done? Can I have a light XC bike that can handle urban and light trials? And to supplement, if anyone wants to suggest anything for ~$500 and under I would be extremely obliged .

Thanks in advance for your help guys.

I post too much.
    Well, you can get a urban and dirt jumping bike that won't totally suck at XC, but I don't think you can have an XC rig that can handle much abuse.

you go ahead
    Feb 2005
    SC Chameleon with an adujustable fork?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by z1 zonly
    I don't have the money now, but this question is burning a hole in my brain.

I have a squishy bike (Specialized Enduro Comp) and ride it in a pretty hardcore XC style (I guess that's All Mountain?) and would like a lighter hardtail to screw around with, just because it's so light and responsive.

BUT, I've always admired urban, and especially trials. Since I really doubt my ability with trials, it would probably be limited to learning to bounce on my back wheel and jump over/between small stuff. But I do intend to do a fair amount of urban.

SO, can it be done? Can I have a light XC bike that can handle urban and light trials? And to supplement, if anyone wants to suggest anything for ~$500 and under I would be extremely obliged .

Thanks in advance for your help guys.
    I'll make you one of these for 500, raw. You pay shipping.
    15 3/4'' chain stays that hold a 2'' rear wheel.
    It rock's for XC and jumping, very stout.
    oldschoolwelder@aol.com
    RTW.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    What do you mean by raw? Frame only? I don't think I have what it takes to do a build, and am really wanting a complete bike.

But, if "raw" means unpainted or something like that, I'm definitely down, but notice the first line in my previous post, I'm out of dinero. The thread is bookmarked for when I get enough money to seriously consider it, though.

So I'm guessing you fabbed that frame yourself? How much the complete rig weigh? Looks sharp!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    if you read above he said he would make you one just in case he doesn't revisit this page before you

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Right, but that could be interpreted as he's building the bike using bought components, it doesn't automatically mean he fabbed the frame.

Judging from his forum name and the context, it's doubtful, but these things should be clarified.

Meh.
    It means that he would build you that frame for 500 bones. He welds for Intense (I think), that bike uses quite a few pieces of tubing from various Intense bikes. Raw means unpainted. RTW rattlecanned that bike himself, and the paint has gotten mixed responses. I personally like it.

I post too much.
    If you don't want to go that route, a Giant STP and a Kona Stuff are both very capable bikes, and can be taken trail riding because they have double chainrings up front. Of course, they won't climb like goats or like XC racing rigs, but they'll have no problem going down and can take whatever abuse you can dish out. They're O.K. at trials too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

That's going to be difficult

It's going to be hard to find something "light" for XC while being able to handle urban. I just got a DK xenia, i really like the "flickability" and everything compared to my XC, but it definitely isn't light. Especially for the price, but it can be done, I'd prolly call around some Specialized shops and look for a past model P bike.