Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

WTF! only ridden 4 times

man, i came home today, took my 09 p1 out, and went for a ride. thats where the **** hit the fan
    1. all of a sudden my rear tire goes flat in seconds
    2. i start to push the bike back home and the freakin front tire goes flat in the same manner
    3. i push the bike home flip it over to check out the tires and i see a big chunk of paint missing from the bb
    4. too top it all off i dont even have the right wrenches to remove the wheels
    needless to say im a wee bit freakin pissed right now

Bikes Rule
    Your mad that you got a flat tire? Sorry dude but GTFU. You are in for a long life..

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    typed it wrong. 2 flat tires and a big ass paint chip on a bike thats been ridin 4 times

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    have you figured out what caused the flats? and depending on how/where you've been riding, knocking a bit of paint off isn't unlikely.

i love it when people get a new bike and shortly thereafter get a flat, then come back to me (at the shop) all pissed about it, *****ing about warranty this, and you'd better take care if it that. it's either A) they ran over something very sharp, ie nail, glass, etc, or B) a bmx bike that some kid bashed into a curb or similar with low-ish pressure and pinched it.

//edit: there's a edit button for a reason. see, i used it.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i was riding on pavement and had the tires set to 70 psi like the lbs mechanic told me even though the tires are rated for 50. how much is this gonna cost me and what size wrenches do i need to remove wheels with 3.8" axles

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    should need 15 mm wrenches, first guess, by inflating them that much, you probably got a puncture from a spoke hole, due to the crappy stock rim strip and higher pressure. but take it apart and investigate, shoot some air into the tubes to find out where the hole is and then figure out why it happened.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Quote Originally Posted by SKOOBEY
    i was riding on pavement and had the tires set to 70 psi like the lbs mechanic told me even though the tires are rated for 50. how much is this gonna cost me and what size wrenches do i need to remove wheels with 3.8" axles

And therein lies your problem. 50 psi should be enough for pavement riding. 70 is too much when the tires are rated for 20 psi less...

mtbr member
    I disagree... ^^
    I run my tires at around 65-70 and they're rated for 50. Hell, MOST people I know who actually RIDE their bikes on the pavement (and by pavement I mean "street" riding, not just cruising) run high pressures too. I haven't had a single pinchflat since I've upped the pressure, and that was at the beginning of summer. If anything, the higher PSI helped his problems with pinchflating, and only would've hurt him has his casings blown, or a spoke cut thru the rim-strip.

Rollin' twenties.
    Apr 2006
    A paint chip? Really? Are you twelve?

My bike has no paint, rust, dents, and liver spots. And I like that, cause I RIDE MY BIKE.

Rollin' twenties.
    Apr 2006
    Oh and psi should be as close to three digits as possible.

70 is not enough, unless you "ride pavement," then its enough.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Have the lbs you got it from go through it with you and and show you what to look for. It will be done right that way and you will also learn about wrenching on your own stuff in the process.---- Unless shops now are full of dudes like some of the guys on here who are total dick$ about new rider questions and concerns.---- And you will start to build the ever important relationship with your shop. But you or the shop won't know what's wrong till you have it apart. When I was at a shop we would always help people out that were new to the scene all the time. Besides, you gave them $900+ of your own hard work so they should be willing to show you basic bicycle maintenance. Don't go in pointing fingers though until you find out what happened.

- On my P's first ride I got a paint chip on my top tube after a very minor bail (dropped the bike after not rolling a 180 out right). Since then I have noticed that the underside of the downtube has little chips in the paint from small rocks/gravel being thrown up by the tires. Regardless , the kind of riding your bike is made for you will be beating it up all over the place.
    Last edited by JGill; 02-25-2009 at 09:34 PM.

pnj
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I know I'm probably not alone when I say I've had more then four flats in one day...

it happens.

Meh.
    Either you ran over something or the rim strip has shifted out of place.

Rb
    wrenchscience.com
    Quote Originally Posted by aggiebiker
    haha
    :: wrenchscience ::

azn
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    do you guys patch up your punctured tubes? or just buy new ones?

mtbr member
    I have a standing record of over 30 punctures or so in one tube, he he he. I still have it...somewhere. I actually classified as my lucky tyre, erm, ironically.

Hip
    mtbr member
    Congrats....you got your first chip! Now thrash it!!

Dont feel bad...I got a new P2 Saturday and rode it for 2 minutes when I did a 180 and waffled the back rim. They rebuilt it Tuesday under warranty. Ill let youknow how it fairs at the park tonight! I heard the rims are S**T so I am expecting it to be a short night but I hope not. Ordering Azonics for it next week.

Bikes Rule
    Remove the cheap rim strips and use Velox rim tape.

Replace tubes.

Ride.

pnj
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    learn how to patch. it's quicker and works as well as a new tube.
    You can even use old tubes for patch pieces...

~Disc~Golf~
    what threw me about this post - is the fact you did not even have the tools to work on or repair the simplest of things!! Owning a bike w/out the most basic tools is retarded.
    get a tube or patch kit, pump and any tools you need for quick repairs and BRING THEM WITH YOU. It'll save you from walkin in the future

*note - unless you're running road tires...70psi is waaay to high
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    man, i have an a**load of tools but thier all for my old motocross bike and thier all metric and i have no 15mm. btw, i took the bike to a mtb dj/freeride shop at lunch and they are making my bike better than new. maxxis holyrollers, dh tubes, and wheels trued and tensioned properly

Meh.
    Bikes are all metric too...

DH tubes are overkill. I've been running ultralight tubes in XC tires pumped up to 80. They used to be in Holy Rollers at 70.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i know but nothing on my motocross bikes gas ever been 15mm. allmost everything on a jap motocrosser is 6,8,10,12,14,17, or 19mm

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by aggiebiker

My bike has no paint, rust, dents, and liver spots. And I like that, cause I RIDE MY BIKE.

so your bike is raw 4130 and has no clearcoat. thing must look like the inside of a barbeque pit

mtbr member
    im sure all my hubs and stuff is 17mm. the only thing i can think of that is 15mm is the pedals
    i ride my bi*ch hard

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast