Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Local Paperboy Hero

Why a MTB and not BMX?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but why do you guys choose to ride a MTB for Urban/DJ/Park instead of a BMX???

After years of racing and DJing on a BMX, I guess I decided to pick up the P because it was different. But, at the time, I really didn't need it for anything. Everything that I wanted to do on a bike and more, you can do on a BMX. Nowadays, though, my local jumps almost require the bigger wheels because of the bumps and rocks. So, I was wondering, if my local jumps were just regular BMX style jumps, would I still be jumping the MTB? And, if so, why? You can do so much more and do it more easily on a BMX.

So, anyway, just wanted to hear why you guys choose to ride the MTB over the BMX (if you do). Ride on!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cru Jones
    Sorry if this has been discussed before, but why do you guys choose to ride a MTB for Urban/DJ/Park instead of a BMX???

After years of racing and DJing on a BMX, I guess I decided to pick up the P because it was different. But, at the time, I really didn't need it for anything. Everything that I wanted to do on a bike and more, you can do on a BMX. Nowadays, though, my local jumps almost require the bigger wheels because of the bumps and rocks. So, I was wondering, if my local jumps were just regular BMX style jumps, would I still be jumping the MTB? And, if so, why? You can do so much more and do it more easily on a BMX.

So, anyway, just wanted to hear why you guys choose to ride the MTB over the BMX (if you do). Ride on!!

good thread..

when i picked up my first HT i did it for a few reasons. at the time i did ride BMX, mostly street and some small DJ's that were local. i had tons of fun riding BMX but i actually was familiar with the whole 2-6 scene. i had ridden MTB's a little bit but never for the same stuff that i rode my BMX on. well, my friend ended up getting a P3....he let me try it out one afternoon and i fell in love with it. just felt so much better to me then a BMX bike. i then started saving up for a HT of my own because i didn't only want to ride it for the same BMX type of stuff, but i also wanted to try DH on it.

and basically...the rest is history. i have been riding a variety of 2-6's with different style ever since. now that i have been riding for a while, i do try riding a friends 20" every so often and i do notice how easy it is to pull more street tricks which is nice...but for DJ'n i don't think i would ever be comfortable on one. so basically...i ride the bigger bike because it is more comfortable to me, sure for the daily street stuff it can be more of a pain, but it makes up for how it feels on the dirt. you can also do a bit more on a bigger bike...like 4X/DS which i love as well.

Local Paperboy Hero
    Yeah, I hear what you're saying, ebfree. I feel more comfortable on the 26 now, as well. But, I'm sure if I spent more time on the 20, I'd feel just fine on it. Actually, even in my BMX racing days, I always enjoyed racing the cruiser more than the 20. So, I guess the 26 is just another step up. It's not suprising that a lot of guys run 24s. That's just big enough to take off the edge off and feel a little more stable, but still small enough to be fairly flickable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I got into abusing the 2-6s by accident, well a flat tire actually. I was riding at a skatepark on my 20" and flatted, it was close to closing time and I didn't have a tube anyway. Since I was working as a bike messenger at the time I had my work bike (Dyno Moto-7) in the van, grabbed it dropped the seat and returned to the park. Got razzed by some of my BMX friends, but I was still feeling the need to ride. After a few warm-up runs, I was riding it almost as good as my 20". Still ride the 20s, but added another toy. Plus it seems that most of the guys my age that ride aggressively are on the big bikes.
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    before i started riding a mtb, i had rode a bmx bike since i was 6yrs old. about 11 i started to get pretty good at riding a bmx bike. then i fell in love with doing drops and big stair gaps and riding super fast downhills. my bmx bikes would die after a few months of this ,and i was always frustrated with it. then one day when i was like 15 i saw a kid on a p1 single speed riding around the local campus doing all kinds of crazy trials **** around fountains and on picnic tables. i was in awe, i forgot about it, then this summer one of the guys at work popped roam in on the big screen projector, and i was hooked. that night i bought my first mtb. and i have been hooked ever since. i still ride a bmx bike everyonce and i while, when i am trying to figure out how to do certain moves, but my mtb is soo much more versatile.

dirt rules
    1. Suspension

2. A bigger bike is more stable. Little bikes are sketchy and I fall off easier.

I love all bikes

Local Paperboy Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by ihatemybike
    I got into abusing the 2-6s by accident, well a flat tire actually. I was riding at a skatepark on my 20" and flatted, it was close to closing time and I didn't have a tube anyway. Since I was working as a bike messenger at the time I had my work bike (Dyno Moto-7) in the van, grabbed it dropped the seat and returned to the park. Got razzed by some of my BMX friends, but I was still feeling the need to ride. After a few warm-up runs, I was riding it almost as good as my 20". Still ride the 20s, but added another toy. Plus it seems that most of the guys my age that ride aggressively are on the big bikes.
    Haha. That reminds of one time in the late 90s when I was out DJing on my bmx. A friend of mine came with me on his full sussy mtb just to cruise around. I borrowed his bike and jumped a few of the sets. The kids thought I was crazy for jumping on a mtb. That was way before I ever saw anyone DJing on a mtb, at least where I was. And, yeah, I feel more grown up on a 26, too. But, I kind of like the punk-kid feeling of being on a bmx.

exacerbated member
    I hate big BB's and I can not lie,
    you other fellows can't deny
    when a girl rolls in with those ity-bity wheels
    she just don’t look that fly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWind
    I hate big BB's and I can not lie,
    you other fellows can't deny
    she just donít look that fly.
    WTF.

I ride my 20 when I ride street/park, it flows better to me. I ride DJ and DH on my 26. My 20 is barebones no brakes so it's easier on my wallet to throw around on the street. If I had a mtn bike that was as solid as my warpig I would ride it on street sessions. So I guess it comes down to dirt=26 concrete=20.

To "Air" Is Human
    I ride 20" in the park and 26" for street. 20 is so much smoother in the bowls. For bb height and if I need to hop off of something I like 26's...easier to cover more ground too.

mtbr member
    I ride the 26 because I've always been a mountain biker.
    Here's some more detail:
    I had I nicely built bmx bike and rode it often but never felt comfortable on it. It always felt sketchy. Now I admit that this was probably because I was so used to a bigger ride and didn't have the handling skills for the smaller bike, but like others have said, stability and a little suspension to take the edge off really helps. Admittedly, for some jumping and park stuff the bmx is definitely more flickable but it's just not for me and my riding style. I have a lot of situations were I have to ride trails to get to jumps and stunts or doing longer urban commutes to get to skate parks.
    I guess whatever works best for you is what you should ride. Keep the P-bike though, you never know when you might want to try something different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Here's a question for the aol generation:

Is it really that hard to type "any" instead of "n e" or "your" instead of "ur"?

You are being judged by the way you post, whether you like it or not, and aolese conveys the fact that you're ("ur") not too bright.

p.s. The video was uninspiring, repetitious, and not very interesting. But at least he took the time to make one, unlike so many other folks.

When in doubt, go faster
    Fummy. I do all my stuff on my freeride rig. 26, 5 inches of travel. Going DJing later out at summers lane... anyone wanna join me?

rollin
    i just feel more comfortable on a 26" bike, but i mainly DH and like all my bikes to feel like my DH bike. i don't like twitchy bikes, street, dj, xc, i like them to fit and feel like my main steed. that's just me. like cru said, you get used to what you ride the most.

mtbr remember
    I honestly at one time hated all mountain bikers... had some blind, narrow-minded stereotypes floating around in my head (I remember one bmx vid a friend had showed a clip of some kids on their trails, as in the bmx term, and a mtb'er wandered there and some of the bmx dudes went over and just jacked him in the face and threw his mtb down, and I thought it was the most hilarious thing ever). Then, I guess, just saw a light somewhere and realized I pretty much dig anything with two wheels.
    In the days of my youth I thought I new what it meant to be a man,
    Now I've reached the age, I've tried to do all those things the best I can.
    But no matter how I try, find my way to the same old jam...
    good times, bad times, you know I had my share...
    when my woman left home for a big-wheeled man,
    but I still don't seem to care....
    (ok if you didn't know, those were zeppelin lyrics) - worldwind's was pretty funny even though I don't necessarily agree.

yeah, I've shattered my right wrist and a finger, broken both collar bones and some ribs on a bmx... (not to mention torn ACL, knee surgery, and broken ankle from other pursuits...) got into mtb more in the 90's, although I still dj'ed and rode street on bmx cuz' I would have never thought to use my mtb at that time... And, like others mentioned, the onset of DH and FR combined with the surrounding environment I lived in and the areas I travelled, I fell in love with 26ers. and yeah, history short, now I combine both a bit, but less and less of bmx these days. I would more if I had a park to ride, but too harsh for my weaksauce body apparantly on other stuff. Still have plenty of friends straight shredding the 20's without relent, and never desiring to check out the big-wheels, but it's cool with me. Now it's all DueceQuad and 26 for me though. If you can hang on the 20's, I still honestly think the bag of tricks is larger there.
    Schralp it Heavy.

Local Paperboy Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by anti-spandex
    Keep the P-bike though, you never know when you might want to try something different.
    Don't worry about me, I plan to keep shreddin on the 26. And hopefully more often on the 20.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Unlike most I never owned a BMX and I first started my aggressive riding on 26's. Thr fist bike I owned was some Costco pile of junk, but I had a few buddys that had nice DH rigs and I just loved riding them. Saved up and bought my Kona Stab about a year ago and my p.2 about 3 months ago. But now I am contemplating getting a 20 for concrete riding. so basically I just when backwards compared to everyone else.

I do think the bag of trick would get quiet larger omn 20 than 26 if you can stick with it, but you can go much bigger on a 26 on DJ's and such. BMX DJ's must be perfectly gromed out and such with a 26 they can be rutted and rocky.

P.S. I have a mad hangover so this may not make any sense.

Local Paperboy Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    I honestly at one time hated all mountain bikers...
    Haha, me too. But, I try to be more kind nowadays.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Watson605]Unlike most I never owned a BMX and I first started my aggressive riding on 26's. Thr fist bike I owned was some Costco pile of junk, but I had a few buddys that had nice DH rigs and I just loved riding them. Saved up and bought my Kona Stab about a year ago and my p.2 about 3 months ago. But now I am contemplating getting a 20 for concrete riding. so basically I just when backwards compared to everyone else.
    [QUOTE]

I'm the same way, my first bike I owned was 2yrs ago which was a Kona DJ. I was a skater all my childhood, never liked bikes. Just under a year ago I got my 20 and love it so damn much. Street on a 20 is heaven, since I came from skateboards I love grinding, so it's a perfect match on my bmx. Get the 20 Watson, you won't regret it.

destructionismyobjective
    Yeah when I was young i was big in the 20 incher, but after about 4-5expensive bmx bikes of mine were stolen i stopped riding at 14 or 15. I always thought mtbs were gay. Up until this past spring my friend kind of forced me out on one to do some xc. I had a blast. Xc was/is fun but I wanted to get back to my roots--jumping. Thats when I bought my new bike. I love the 26 its a blast its like bmx all grown up. Ive scince hopped on a few bmxes and ive been spoiled by my suspension and disc brakes. Its just what im comfotable on now. I did however buy a dk gl cruiser last week cause my bike is not ideal for park or street. I bought it though more like a street type ss mtb more than an oversized bmx.

exacerbated member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    - worldwind's was pretty funny even though I don't necessarily agree.

I will be the first to admit that when I am in Portland I always make a point to roll with the zoo bombers at least once or twice.

Portland, OR
    I have a 24" cruiser, but I use my HT more.

reason why ? because I'm a mountain biker...not a BMXer
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

Local Paperboy Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by todd_freeride
    because I'm a mountain biker...not a BMXer
    Too bad for you!!!

Local Paperboy Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWind
    she just donít look that fly.
    She ain't fly???

Or, what about her...

When in doubt, go faster
    I can model something like that in 3DS Max and DAZ Studio.

mtbr member
    I bought a 20 for my friend's kid a while back. Gotta say I was very surprised by how weird it felt. Rather like riding a brick with wheels. I really don't see how some of you can trade back and forth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast