Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    notabouttoseeyourlight

why do mtb'ers call street riding 'urban'???

i've never quite understood this... i always just called it street...
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    urban is a city environment.. so urban is riding in the city..plus when i think street i think more flatground style..when i hear urban i think rails, ledges, stairs etc.
    I went to the doctor and told him "hey doc, it hurts when I go like this" and the doc said "Does the rear feel too soft?"

nrdbomber

where u r ban

hey, since i'm a...um...i guess...mtb'r i thought i'd put in my two cents.

those of us who have been on mountian bikes for so long, are used to riding in the woods, desert, rock etc...basically off-road.

so, when some 26" (and 24") mountian bikes branched out to be built more specifically for terrain found in cities (aka urban areas), the term "urban" was applied to those bikes and that style of riding.

i'm not a bmx'r, but i think the term "street" is a bmx term.
    We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.

I post too much.
    Who cares? So long as you're having fun on two wheels it's all good in my book.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    Who cares? So long as you're having fun on two wheels it's all good in my book.

i think labeling things is wrong, but sometimes its appropriate. yes we should all support each others riding style, but soemtimes it doesnt happen.
    I went to the doctor and told him "hey doc, it hurts when I go like this" and the doc said "Does the rear feel too soft?"

I post too much.
    Sure there are different types of riding, but whether you call it street, urban, jibbing or whatever, it is the same thing.

mtbr remember
    yeah, Coma13, I've wondered the same, and brought up the point in the "Why huckers and jibbers..." thread...

I still use street, but I guess, like nrdbomber said, 'cuz I'm a bmx'er as well, although I've been mtb'in for a long time too...

Should we start referring to conventional mtb riding as "forrest"? hey, let's go shred some forest! or, what about "woods" - hey, you wanna go ride some wood?

when I hear the label "urban", I unconciously think about commuters or messengers tearing through traffic on their old chromo fixie bianchis and stuff... nothing to do with "street" riding, although all these terms may confuse the hell out of a non-biker....

and yeah, Snaky69, I agree as well, but comes down to another philosophy... No matter how much, or in which language (or even all languages!) we try to explain, discuss, or argue these points... biking still has absolutely nothing to do with any of it.
    Action is the only true sense of the form.
    Schralp it Heavy.

Local Paperboy Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    yeah, Coma13, I've wondered the same, and brought up the point in the "Why huckers and jibbers..." thread...

I still use street, but I guess, like nrdbomber said, 'cuz I'm a bmx'er as well, although I've been mtb'in for a long time too...

Should we start referring to conventional mtb riding as "forrest"? hey, let's go shred some forest! or, what about "woods" - hey, you wanna go ride some wood?

when I hear the label "urban", I unconciously think about commuters or messengers tearing through traffic on their old chromo fixie bianchis and stuff... nothing to do with "street" riding, although all these terms may confuse the hell out of a non-biker....

and yeah, Snaky69, I agree as well, but comes down to another philosophy... No matter how much, or in which language (or even all languages!) we try to explain, discuss, or argue these points... biking still has absolutely nothing to do with any of it.
    Action is the only true sense of the form.
    Haha... you can go ride some "wood." I think I'll take a pass...

Yeah, some of these labels are stupid. But, at the same time, if you call me a mountain biker... I'm gonna punch you in the face!! I'm a BMXer... it's just that my bike has 26" wheels and suspension. Or, I suppose you could call me a dirt jumper.

And it's def "street" not "urban." Maybe they thought "street" was too close to "road." So, they thought they were doing us a favor...

Glad to Be Alive
    because urban is considered city
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    because there is way too much labelling in "mountain biking." now partly because there are so many types of mountain biking even though now a days a lot of it isn't even done on mountains. i call it street riding but i dont care much if someone decides to say urban even though it sounds goofy. im sure i have used the term without thinking. to me riding a bike is riding a bike. i dont really consider it much different if you decide to ride a bike with bigger wheels and suspension or a little bike that is rigid...i just love riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Sorry Cru, you're definately a mountain biker. And "urban's" just as good a term as "street".

Local Paperboy Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151
    Sorry Cru, you're definately a mountain biker. And "urban's" just as good a term as "street".
    Not true!! Not true!! I only ride my bike in the mountains cuz that's where the jumps are...

Edit: Sorry, it's just that whenever I hear the term "mountain biker" I picture spandex and no skills. And, if somebody asks what I do and I say I'm a "mountain biker," well then they have no idea what I do on a bike... they're probably picturing me pedaling around with my seat up my a$$ enjoying the scenery. I'm a BMXer (I do have a 20... been riding one since I was 5) or a dirt jumper.
    Last edited by Cru Jones; 11-27-2006 at 09:34 PM.

mtbr member
    well, ive always called it riding, i dont know about you guys but the standard phrase around here is "hey guys, wanna go ride"

standard reply "Fyck ya"

i dont care what you call it. if my bud comes up and says you wanna go fro a little urban session at , im always down, or you wanna go hit the street, sure why not.....im going to go out and ride my bike and if you wanna come with, give'er, and call it what you like

..............enough said, go ride

Pro Crastinator
    i call it "lobster poaching"......

tuck-n-roll master
    I've gotten a few responses from the general public along these lines:

person: what kind of biking do you do?
    me: mountain... some XC, some freeride, street, urban, etc...
    person: so you ride mountain and that stuff like lance armstrong?
    me: huh? armstrong?
    person: you said urban and street?
    me:

I usually just have to say I do bmx stuff on a mountain bike and they eventually get it. My favorite occurs when I ride the trials bike. They want to know where my seat went.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cru Jones
    Yikes. We need to add about 10 years onto that age. Unless she's a smokin hottie, then maybe 5...

destructionismyobjective
    smt called it jibbing! who the hell says that??????

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Jibbing is the stupidest sounding word ever after Stoppies.
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

Jesus Freak
    Apr 2004
    Labels are annoying but I suppose somewhat necessary due to all the types of riding available.

I ride a aluminum hardtail XC bike.
    I ride a steel - soon to be single speed - still a xc bike.
    I ride a 20" BMX bike
    I ride a road bike

I drop the seat on the aluminum or steel XC bike and throw flat pedals on it and all of a sudden it becomes a makeshift Trials bike...my so called XC bikes are used for many types of riding.

After Christmas I plan to buy a 24" wheeled DK General Lee for dirt jumping...

Basically I just want to ride a bike. Call it what you want, I just ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ihatemybike
    Jibbing is the stupidest sounding word ever after Stoppies.
    "jibbing" is a snowboard term that basically refers to sliding or bonking or ollieing your board on or over some kind of object that is not snow. Could be a rail, tree stump, or whatever else. I don't much care for the word's application in reference to two wheels....but whatever.

You can call me a one eyed one horned flying purple people eater if you want, I'll just be riding.

mtbr member
    I don't give two sh!ts what people think about me or what I do. If they wanna picture me in spandex, well... that's their issues to deal with alone. When outsiders ask me what I do I tell em I ride bicycles. Reason I say bicycles is cuz I used to say I ride bikes and they'd come back at me. Oh you ride motos? That kinda bugged, trust me hella people think bikes are just dirtbikes. People that bike I'd specify since they know what I'm talking about. The term Urban I only heard from kats that ride mtn bikes. Like, "Urban Assualt" that's a dumb title. Why do you need to make it sound tough?

dirt rules
    Quote Originally Posted by free rider
    well, ive always called it riding, i dont know about you guys but the standard phrase around here is "hey guys, wanna go ride"

standard reply "Fyck ya"

i dont care what you call it. if my bud comes up and says you wanna go fro a little urban session at , im always down, or you wanna go hit the street, sure why not.....im going to go out and ride my bike and if you wanna come with, give'er, and call it what you like

..............enough said, go ride
    Amen, brother!!! Why get hung up on the language.... just RIDE!

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Heh. It seems that 90% of the annoying misunderstandings are when you try to talk to non-riders about riding. They just don't get it, and terms that we understand mean nothing to them.

I eventually just stopped talking to non-riders about bikes. I ride literally all kinds of bikes: road, xc, cyclocross, street, freeride, etc. and answering nothing but dorky questions about Lance Armstrong just wore me out.

People: "oh, so you're the professional bike racer! Wow! Do you wear those biker pants?My 5 year old son has a bike!"

Me: "Yeah."

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by ServeEm
    I don't give two sh!ts what people think about me or what I do. If they wanna picture me in spandex, well... that's their issues to deal with alone. When outsiders ask me what I do I tell em I ride bicycles. Reason I say bicycles is cuz I used to say I ride bikes and they'd come back at me. Oh you ride motos? That kinda bugged, trust me hella people think bikes are just dirtbikes. People that bike I'd specify since they know what I'm talking about. The term Urban I only heard from kats that ride mtn bikes. Like, "Urban Assualt" that's a dumb title. Why do you need to make it sound tough?

Jesus Freak
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ServeEm
    The term Urban I only heard from kats that ride mtn bikes. Like, "Urban Assualt" that's a dumb title. Why do you need to make it sound tough?
    That made me laugh

My guess is plain ol testosterone. Ya gotta sound mean, man

The Lance thing and now questions about Landis and whether or not he doped, Ugh!

mtbr member
    The way I interpret it is as follows. Mountain biking- Riding through the woods and dirt trails, Street- is what it is, Urban- utilizing steps, drops, and all the other natural and unnatural obsticals, basically just riding over any and everything that looks tempting. I am not going to get into the others as we all know what they are. It doesn't matter what you ride, how you ride, as long as you ride.
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everybody has one and they usually stink.

eminence front
    I like to ride my bike.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast