Air Junkie

Why 26" in the front and 24" in the rear?

Not to sound like a total newb, but whats the advantage of a 24" specific bike with a 26" up front? I own a 24" front n back KGM(made in germany) and a 26" front n back GSR Hooligan and a 24" front n back KHS FR2000 But never tried 24"R/26"F setup. Am i missing out? I know manuals are easier with a 24" but what else.
    Last edited by Sudden_Judgement; 09-16-2006 at 08:01 PM.

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudden_Judgement
    Not to sound like a total newb, but whats the advantage of a 24" specific bike with a 26" up front? I own a 24" front n back KGM(made in germany) and a 26" front n back GSR Hooligan and a 24" front n back KHS FR2000 But never tried 24"R/26"F setup. Am i missing out? I know manuals are easier but what else.

NO reason at all.... I don't know why that would make manuals easier? depending on the frame, it just rakes out the geometry, making the HA slack, which the only advantage is tackling the steeps, or "oh shift" moments close to going over the bars. now, some frames may have been designed around this setup, such as the Endless Lifetime, but this is rare. Now you see the similar idea going up to XC mtb, in the "69'er" with a 29'er front and 26'er rear. now this idea is that a larger front wheel rolls over obstacles easier... might be the case in the 26/24, but I don't desire it. I'm riding 24 straight, so I just try to bunny hop everything.
    I don't think you're missing out at all, but maybe others would disagree.... I like my steep head angle for street.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    26 up front is more stable and gets through obstacles better, 24 in the back accelerates adn rolls easier and faster.

Air Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Raghavan
    26 up front is more stable and gets through obstacles better, 24 in the back accelerates adn rolls easier and faster.
    My main use for this bike would be dirt jumping, so accelation isn't realy a issuse for me due to the starting hill, Here is the bike I'm talking about.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudden_Judgement
    My main use for this bike would be dirt jumping, so accelation isn't realy a issuse for me due to the starting hill, Here is the bike I'm talking about.

holy high bars! yeah, it looks like they just wanted either a more raked out choppered front end, or a higher bb height.... The frame could have been just designed around this setup, like the Specialized or Endless. Is that your bike Sudden_Judgement?
    And with that tall front end, they even put huge riser bars on!? hmm... it would already feel like you are manualing the thing without pulling the front tire off the ground! (just an exaggeration) To a certain point, the higher your front end/bars/etc. from your bb, the harder to get leverage for hops. It places you in more of a standing position, compared to a bent over bmx/trials position.
    I do like the headtube on that frame though, interesting.
    Schralp it Heavy.

Air Junkie
    No this isn't mine, I have a very similar one but my frame is orange. Mines hopped up a bit more, than this stocker. I love the integrated gyro! No more busted knees! It's not nearly as tall as it looks in that pic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I like the way it sits with a 26 in the frount

Air Junkie
    I like the way it sits too, maybe 26 is just for the front brake?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raghavan
    You couldent have said it any better.
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

Air Junkie
    Well, it doesn't matter anymore. I tacoed the front wheel doing a 360 out of a bowl. I'm stickin to 24" Geuss I'll buy a new wheel tomorrow.