mtbr member
    Jan 2009

... and if we just ... who uses protection these days?

any of you ss dj guys run a chainstay protector?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Not me.... If u want to, go ahead

Would you please look around before creating a new thread, there's 5+ threads of yours in the first page...

mtbr member
    Trojan?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

good Lord man

on my old r6 forum those guys wouldn't shut the **** up. not tryin to piss on anybody's cornflakes but i guess im just used to that

Bikes Rule
    At least this post does not reference wheels.

Rule of thumb - single speeds and chainstay protectors do not look good. Period.

wait...what?
    what KIND of protection? me, I go w/o

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Don't worry about a chain protector. If your chain is decently tight you will have zero slap.

Meh.
    None necessary with a single speed setup. If you're getting slap, you don't have enough chain tension.

dirt rules
    I put a couple of stickers on the chainstay of my 20". 25/8 gearing has the chain running VERY close to the chainstay, and I can't (sensibly) make the chain tight enough not to hit it once in a while.

SuperInstigator
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingduck
    I put a couple of stickers on the chainstay of my 20". 25/8 gearing has the chain running VERY close to the chainstay, and I can't (sensibly) make the chain tight enough not to hit it once in a while.
    Same here...I run 25-10. I wrap the chainstay because I will not run my chain very tight. It's not a good thing to have the chain that tight, in my opinion.

I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

Bikes Rule
    25-10 you should be able to get the chain tight enough that it does not touch the chainstay. Another reason to run a Splined chainring - even tension and no tight spot.

SuperInstigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo-9
    25-10 you should be able to get the chain tight enough that it does not touch the chainstay. Another reason to run a Splined chainring - even tension and no tight spot.
    Oh sorry I meant 28-10. There really isn't much of a difference between 28-10 and 25-8 regarding whether the chain will hit the chainstay or not...and the way mine is with a 28t Profile Imperial sprocket and stock Haro cranks..I do not like how tight the chain has to be in order to not contact the chainstay...its not good for the pawls and the rest of the drivetrain. I cannot use a splined chainring at this point in time, but on my new build, I will be running 48 spline profiles and a splined Tree sprocket.
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

mtbr member
    it really comes down to chainstays and what gearing. my chain will slap on hard landings while riding street, etc. thus i wrap it.

mtbr member
    I"m surprised no one mentioned condoms.

I run 4 pegs on my 20 with 28/11, I couldn't fit tensioners so it's loosen which forced me to wrap my stays. Now I run a 24/9 w/ pegs and the new ratio allows me to slam my wheel literally so I have to take apart my chain to get my wheel off. Nice and tight, never loosens, loving it.

gnar, brah
    I'm rockin the 23-12 and I wrapped my chainstay. Impossible to get enough tension that it won't slap once in a while. I'd rather not hear any back-talking from my bike, personally. If I'm going to overshoot a jump and make my chain slap, at least I don't have to listen to it.
    Trestle Bike Park

My leg feels funny
    I still have one on but should probably cut it off. I put it on there with a spring loaded tensioner but have pretty much eliminated any chain play.