Portland, OR

Good job! Who do you think is stepping it up this year ?

just wondering what you all thought of the 07 bikes ! I mean from what I've been watching, Gary fisher and Giant (I personally think) have really stepped up their bikes this year. right now I'm "babysitting" my friends brand new 07 mullet SS. I've ridden it around some, really freaking sick. like the frame quality has been stepped up a lot from when I was riding an opie.

also I'm really impressed about the bang for your buck you get with Giant now. the STP1 is like $850.00 VS 1000 last year. really cool.

also post what you think have become a good value or has stepped it up a lot (DJ bike wise) for this year. I would have included 07 konas, but their component spec was too low for me.

heres the 07 (mullet SS/mullet) and the STP (SS/1) (prices are, the mullet SS is $629.00 the Mullet is $659.99, the STP SS is $750.00 and STP 1 is $850.00

Discuss !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by todd_freeride
    I would have included 07 konas, but their component spec was too low for me.
    Discuss !
    Whats wrong with the component spec on the 07 Konas. I think they changed the fork on the Cowan to the DJ 2, which from what I hear is way better than the DJ3 they had last year. I see they also switched from Truvative to FSA for a lot of the components. Is that a bad thing?

Portland, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by ajoc_prez
    Whats wrong with the component spec on the 07 Konas. I think they changed the fork on the Cowan to the DJ 2, which from what I hear is way better than the DJ3 they had last year. I see they also switched from Truvative to FSA for a lot of the components. Is that a bad thing?
    well, I think they need to lower their prices like $100.00 on some models ....the shred for 699 ? the scrap for like $780.00 or whatever ? and they're still kinda junkey compaired to what other bike brands are bringing this year, especially Giant.

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr remember
    I would have to say ALL of the bike industry has stepped it up this year, or at least recently. The MTB industry is finding out how specialized, specific, and somewhat separated the genres of Street and Dirt Jump are, and starting to offer products that fit it better, instead of just altering and retro-fitting existing models to attempt to fit that genre. Well, basically what made most of these companies change this was probably just the "$" in their eyes, but hey, whatever, it brings out more stuff!
    Schralp it Heavy.

I post too much.
    I also think the industry as a whole has stepped it up, mountain biking is gaining popularity and visibility. I can see it simply by the growing number of young riders in my neighborhood.

tuck-n-roll master
    The Gary Fishers look alright, but I'm not down with those STP paintjobs. It looks kind of bland. That SS needs to go with the horizontal dropouts too.

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by pavement_hurts
    The Gary Fishers look alright, but I'm not down with those STP paintjobs. It looks kind of bland. That SS needs to go with the horizontal dropouts too.

I thought the new STP's looked pretty damn smooth myself.... I would completely agree that they need to get some horiz. drops going though. I'm actually not a big fan of Trek/GF/Klein/etc....

bland is my middle name
    Schralp it Heavy.

tuck-n-roll master
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    You sir, have a sweet bike. I've seen it floating somewhere else on the net. Maybe unrealcycles?

mtbr remember
    You sir, have a sweet bike. I've seen it floating somewhere else on the net. Maybe unrealcycles?
    sorry to jack this thread like that... but yeah, thanks for the props. it's on unrealcycles too. I tried to keep it low key, cuz I like it like that, and I also use it for commuting usually as well. didn't want it to attract uneccesary attention, but I still come out sometimes, and there's somebody looking over the bike.... can make a guy paranoid... it's almost like if you leave your girlfriend outside while you run in for coffee, then come out and some "dude" is talking to her with radar eyes.
    Schralp it Heavy.

tuck-n-roll master
    I'm down with everything on the '07 Norco Two 50 except for the price tag(1115 US) and the poo brown paint. http://www.norco.com/2007bikes/image...large/31_1.jpg

Portland, OR
    looks a lot better than the 04-05 models, remember those ? I dunno, the component spec is pretty nice though, you get more bike for your $

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

tuck-n-roll master
    Quote Originally Posted by todd_freeride
    looks a lot better than the 04-05 models, remember those ? I dunno, the component spec is pretty nice though, you get more bike for your $
    Yep, one of the guys I ride with has one in a sort of bronze color. Very low key and not much of a visually striking bike. The guy actually has a POS Mx Comp on it. You would never guess though. This guy absolutely kills with it. He knows almost nothing about bikes, but he has some amazing skills. I've seen him cleanly bunny hop a three and a half foot long four-stair set.