Hip
    mtbr member

Where to get 26" wheels w/ 3/8 axles????????

I CANNOT find them anywhere on the net. I have other threads going where I bent my wheel on my Specialized P2. Everyone is saying they are known for that and to get a better wheel set. I CANT FIND ANY!!!!!!!! Help! Thanks.

mtbr member
    which wheel did you bend? does your fork have regular bolt-on 10mm axle wheel, or is made for 20mm thru-axle ? do you run a single speed hub on the back ?

a lot of mtb hubs use 10mm axles not 3/8". but 3/8 inch = 9.52mm. they obviously look the same, but try to use a 3/8" axle nut and it won't thread on.

Atomlab GI-SS 26" disc rear wheel, 10x135/32h*

BTI part #: AL-3889
    vendor part #: 1WHL811B
    hole: 32h
    rim: GI 32mm
    spoke: 14g
    size: 26"
    nipple: brass
    spacing: 135mm
    f/r: rear
    hub: Pimp-SS 1sp 10mm bolt-on

Hand built with precision Pimp hubs and GI rims, long black brass nipples and straight gauge white spokes
    All have International-Standard 6-bolt disc mount and Atomlab rim strips
    Singlespeed rear has small 30x1mm threading to fit 13-15t freewheels
    24" weights: 1255g F9x100 / 1530g R10x135
    26" weights: 1335g F9x100 / 1220g F20x110 / 1610g R10x135 / 1370g R-SS

Also check out HALO wheelsets
    http://www.bti-usa.com/public/catego...2?page=1#HL122

Any bike shop who can order from the BTI distributor's catalog can order the above items.

Hip
    mtbr member

Ok

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4130
    which wheel did you bend? does your fork have regular bolt-on 10mm axle wheel, or is made for 20mm thru-axle ? do you run a single speed hub on the back ?

a lot of mtb hubs use 10mm axles not 3/8". but 3/8 inch = 9.52mm. they obviously look the same, but try to use a 3/8" axle nut and it won't thread on.

Atomlab GI-SS 26" disc rear wheel, 10x135/32h*

BTI part #: AL-3889
    vendor part #: 1WHL811B
    hole: 32h
    rim: GI 32mm
    spoke: 14g
    size: 26"
    nipple: brass
    spacing: 135mm
    f/r: rear
    hub: Pimp-SS 1sp 10mm bolt-on

Hand built with precision Pimp hubs and GI rims, long black brass nipples and straight gauge white spokes
    All have International-Standard 6-bolt disc mount and Atomlab rim strips
    Singlespeed rear has small 30x1mm threading to fit 13-15t freewheels
    24" weights: 1255g F9x100 / 1530g R10x135
    26" weights: 1335g F9x100 / 1220g F20x110 / 1610g R10x135 / 1370g R-SS

Also check out HALO wheelsets
    http://www.bti-usa.com/public/catego...2?page=1#HL122

Any bike shop who can order from the BTI distributor's catalog can order the above items.
    It is a Dirt Jumper 2 with what the website says are 9mm drop outs but it does have 3/8 axles so I am guessing 10 will fit?

Hip
    mtbr member
    Oh yeh...bent the rear and have a SSK-3 Single speed kit sitting here.

mtbr member
    remember a rim is a rim. a wheel is a rim plus spokes plus a hub. all you really need to do is a get a "rim" and have a bike shop re-lace the wheel. may be cheaper than getting a whole new wheel.

Bikes Rule
    Why do you need 2 threads to ask about the same wheel issue? I mean really.

I would recommend you think about your fork. If you want to get a better DJ fork then look into one that has a 20mm through axle. Then build a new wheelset or purchase one with that set-up. If you plan to keep your current fork then build a nice wheelset if you can afford it with 3/8". I assume you will not be running pegs on the p bike so no need to keep 3/8" up front.

Personally I never buy a wheelset. I always build them. Sure it costs more but I get the parts I want and I know they are built right.

Hip
    mtbr member

Clarity

Quote Originally Posted by Demo-9
    Why do you need 2 threads to ask about the same wheel issue? I mean really.

I would recommend you think about your fork. If you want to get a better DJ fork then look into one that has a 20mm through axle. Then build a new wheelset or purchase one with that set-up. If you plan to keep your current fork then build a nice wheelset if you can afford it with 3/8". I assume you will not be running pegs on the p bike so no need to keep 3/8" up front.

Personally I never buy a wheelset. I always build them. Sure it costs more but I get the parts I want and I know they are built right.
    So the way I understand it...I can use 10mm thru axle wheels and dont necessarily need 3/8. I could have gotten away with a std QR on the front but with horizontal brackets it would have spelled disaster on the rear. I went and looked at Forte Locos at a shop and the kid said ...dont do it. NOBODY around here carries thru axle wheels.

I was freaking hence the multiple post. I was just trying to clarify in the title to try to get answers ASAP. I was supposed to go to a park today with 2 people and was trying to find a fast fix. What I did find out was the rim was toast after my LBS tried to true it for an hour this morning. He said the spokes were really loose which is why it bent so easy. He said he could probably loosen them all and get it back but to try and get it under warrranty from where I got the bike.

The shop I got the bike from is getting a rim Tuesday and replacing it under warranty. Everyone is telling me these are crap rims so I am going to look into a new set this week which will either be built or pre-built. In any case all the frustration last night led to no riding today anyway.

I thought about switching out forks with my Komodo II which has DJ1s w/ 20mm but I am more harsh on that bike so I am sticking with it the way it is. Thanks everyone.

Meh.
    Shimano (and all other loose ball bearing) hubs can all be converted to bolt-on.

QR will fit front and rear, but with horizontal dropouts you may get slippage unless you use axle tugs.

Don't make multiple threads... you can edit your posts...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    small tip, if you have no front brake, go for a nice hip bmx front hub with a female axle..

I'm building a wheel with the new Fly ft hub (36h, 212 grams) with DT spokes and nipples and a Mavic X317disc (old skool, best rim ever)...should be pretty nice.