mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Where can I learn tricks???

I'm new to Freeriding. Been XC and road all my life. Just picked up a new '05 Trek Session 77 that was sitting around a shop. Got a deal! Are there any good videos or areas on this site where I can learn some tricks? Any advice would be great!

mtbr member
    New World Disorder 7 should be out here shortly.

Local Paperboy Hero
    ???? Yeah, you can find videos and info on the web, but the only way you're going to learn tricks is by riding...

I post too much.
    Ride your bike, try stuff, have fun. That's all there is to it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KobraCarry
    I'm new to Freeriding. Been XC and road all my life. Just picked up a new '05 Trek Session 77 that was sitting around a shop. Got a deal! Are there any good videos or areas on this site where I can learn some tricks? Any advice would be great!
    Start riding the bike harder and harder in the tech section of your trails. Get to the point where you really trust it. Then start with drops 4' and move up. Try jumps, start with tables and work up to gaps.

Now if you want to learn 180's and park stuff get the video tricktionary.

That is a nice bike you got but you are going to get brake jack with the rear suspension design. It is in reality a single pivot because only one pivot dictates the rear axle path. If you get to the point where the brake jack is holding you back you should be a couple seasons away from this purchase.

ENjoy it and ride.

I post too much.
    180's on a full susser must be a pain in the ass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axis
    Start riding the bike harder and harder in the tech section of your trails. Get to the point where you really trust it. Then start with drops 4' and move up. Try jumps, start with tables and work up to gaps.

Now if you want to learn 180's and park stuff get the video tricktionary.

That is a nice bike you got but you are going to get brake jack with the rear suspension design. It is in reality a single pivot because only one pivot dictates the rear axle path. If you get to the point where the brake jack is holding you back you should be a couple seasons away from this purchase.

ENjoy it and ride.
    i bought tricktionary. i just started riding this year. the first 2 tricks in the line up are the wheelie and the manual, and i still don't have either one of them down. i normally pick up on things well, but biking has been a lot slower for me than other sports/activiites.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Pretty good site.

www.bmxtrix.com
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    It really is ride time, balls/commitment and getting advice from more experienced riders. I personally don't ride enough and have a whole lot of chicken in me.

www.unionstreetbikes.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Best way to learn is to ride by far, but this book can prob. help you develop your skills. I have herd nothing but good about it, and I just ordered it today. (You can get it on amazon.com for ~$12)

mtbr member
    Eh when I first got into biking I got that book, lost it and never looked back. The book might give you an idea of what direction you can go, maybe a good tip you can use but to me that's it. Also that tricktionary my boy just bought like two days ago, I watched it last night and it bored the crap outta me.

Leethal, said it perfect. Ride time and practice is the only thing that'll bring on anything. Once I got my confidence down and had a good idea where my boundaries were I could start experimenting with tricks. After I knew my bike inside/out I could watch a rider and knew about what he was doing to get the trick down. Then practice came in, really time/practice is the key and balls. Need them balls

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yes... knowing you bike and capabilities is key.