Thread: Wheelie issue

resident dumbass

Wheelie issue

This may sound like a total dumass newb question, but for some reason I can't ride my wheelie for more than a couple pedals. I can get up there without trying, and my balance is good enough, but I just can't continue to pedal.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? It's driving me nuts, I'll start well, but then I can't hold the pedaling down for a second and lose it.

Could it be my position? I'm kinda hunched up over the seat. Not comfortably sitting back, not desperately clinging to the handlebars.

Is there some small little thing I'm not doing that will help me out a ton?

Don't wordrape me too badly.
    I'm out of things to say . . .

I post too much.
    I just sit down and enjoy the view, move around a bit on the seat for balance when needed, otherwise I'm using brakes/pedal stroke to maintain front to back balance, and knees and feet(I even sometimes stick them totally off the pedal) for side to side balance, arms extended, relaxed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    First thing i do is always cover the rear brake. Start using it to compensate for a lack of balance, start with slow wheelies so you can run a low gear and it will be easy to bring back up, then use the rear brake to bring you back down. Basically, just practice, and you can be in any body position you want. You have to find the balance point, once you find it, keep practicing and you will eventually get really good at maintaining your balance.
    And on the pedaling thing, once you really have the balance point found, you can just sit and manual for a bit, that's when you know you are truly at the balance point.

For example here's a video of me wheelying.

Wheelie!

resident dumbass
    my balance is fine. it's just some weird thing where I can't pedal for about a split second and then I lose it. I'm running singlespeed, so I can't go into a lower gear.

Either I just need to practice more, or I need to get a bit used more to my gear, or I'm not doing something right.

What's that smell?
    Pull up, sit back and relax: http://youtube.com/watch?v=tVO6QwbuS8c

I have a buddy that does them standing, but he looks like he's having a seizure...

I post too much.
    Man, talk about taking a cruise. I love that video haha!

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by phxartboy
    Pull up, sit back and relax: http://youtube.com/watch?v=tVO6QwbuS8c

I have a buddy that does them standing, but he looks like he's having a seizure...

holy mother, that was the worst music I have ever heard in my life. funny vid though, those grocery getters are probably like 40lb bikes too.

dirtyharry, if you can't stay up when when you start pedaling, then your balance must not be fine. work on it more. also, I don't know what your SS gear ratio is, but you will have to find the optimum speed for it, otherwise you will either spin it out going too fast, or you need running-back legs to get her going (esp. for seated wheelies and low seats)
    Schralp it Heavy.

resident dumbass
    hee hee, that looks like me on my old bike . . . seriously

Anyway, it's not as much of a balance problem as it is a pedal resistance problem. Sometimes I'll go up to wheelie, but as I begin to lose my pedaling (while I'm wheelie position) I'll catch a short but decent manual. It's just some strange thing. Obviously no one who is going to reply to this has ever had the same problem. As soon as I get my new handlebars I'll spend some working on it and see if it's not some minor little thing.

Could slack chain have anything to do with how well the bike pedals? I don't have the slackest of chains, but it has come off a couple times.

Let me try and describe it again.

I go up to pedal. Catch half a stroke, lose power on my pedals, stall, and go back down.

Another thought: my front end is huge (with the 130mm DJ2) and heavy. Will reducing the travel make the bike a lot more managable for wheelies and the like?

I'm getting it done anyway, so my bike will be easier to flick at the jumps.

i'm at a 36/16, btw.

tuck-n-roll master
    It sounds like you may be accelerating too quickly and you're just using the momentum from pedaling to keep you up. Try leaning back a little more and possibly raise your seat an inch or two.

resident dumbass
    My bike's geo doesn't allow for much seat raising.

I try to be going very slowly when I wheelie.

As for leaning back, if I lean back anymore, I'll fall over. I'm kind of tall for a pretty wheelie on my bike.

The whole thing is driving me nuts (I can get up so well and stuff) so I thought I'd ask if anybody knows what I'm going wrong. It looks like there is no tip that will help me, so I guess I'll just have to practice more.

tuck-n-roll master
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyharry
    The whole thing is driving me nuts. I can get up so well and stuff.
    So young, so perverted.

resident dumbass
    Some guy at school gave me the tip I've been needing. PEDAL SMOOTHLY.

I post too much.
    Pedal smoothly, and get up to wheelie speed before going into the wheelie. I usually pedal at a normal rate sitting down, then give some extra torque and unweight the front at the same time. Then I keep pedaling at the same rate I was going before bringing the front wheel up, and I can wheelie as long as I wish.

resident dumbass
    I got my new handlebars today, and boy, does it make a difference. They're 2 inch upsweeps, and as my top tube is basically a barely slanted line down to the seat tube, they give me some extra room and stuff. I was hitting much, MUCH better wheelies today.

My old ones had me really hunched over and if I wasn't hunched over, my knees would hit the bar.