mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Wheel question and bike progress!

I had a slight problem with some wheels I bought. I ended up with a 20mm thru-axle front wheel and I run a QR fork. So now I can either buy a new hub, buy a new fork, or buy a new front wheel. I opted for a new wheel. here's the wheel:

Here's the wheel set I bought:

My question is.....Will running two different wheels make the bike ride odd at all? I mean....they will pretty much match perfectly once I take the stickers off....so I was just wondering if it will affect the ride. I've seen other people running two different wheels....So I figure it can't be that bad.

Also.....This is my first Urban bike.....So I want to show some of my progress.

Here it is when I first bought it:

And here it is now:

What do you guys think?

What I added/modded:

Black SE grips
    Odyssey Seat
    Primo pedals
    KMC white chain with hollow pins
    Cheap-O chainstay protector
    Chopped the seat tube
    Took off the front brake

Future plans: New fork...preferably an argyle or something similar. Finally getting to put my wheels on. New tensioner. Getting a set of Hookworms. Then I might take it somewhere and get it powder coated flat black. Oh and a new rear brake.

I think it will be one sweet ride once I finally finish. Anyone have any advice or comments?
    Last edited by EndersShadow; 03-24-2009 at 05:07 PM.

mtbr member
    i wouldn't bother getting it powdercoated.
    spend more on better components
    if you are really that worried about colour do a decent rattlecan job. my BMX rattle can job came out really well
    cheaper option for chain stay protector is an old inner tube. the neoprene ones get eaten through fairly quickly but the inner tube lasts and lasts. BTW you shouldnt need a CS protector for a single speed bike if your chain is adjusted properly

the wheels will be fine
    i run a mavic one on the front and a atomlab on the rear.
    quick question - why get a new wheel if you plan on replacing the fork with an argyle which uses a 20mm axle?
    i ride my bi*ch hard

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by the_godfather
    quick question - why get a new wheel if you plan on replacing the fork with an argyle which uses a 20mm axle?
    Good point. Although the argyle is mostly wishful thinking as I probably couldn't afford one anyway. I guess I'll probably get a newer Dirt Jumper 2.

Enforcer
    Jul 2007
    Take a link or two out of that chain! Other than that nice build.
    Quote Originally Posted by holoholo
    why should I search google--when I can get a know-it-all like you to do it?
    Legend...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikazee ideki
    Take a link or two out of that chain! Other than that nice build.
    Are you referring to the before or after picture? Do I really need to take a link out of my new white chain? It seemed pretty good to me.