mtbr member
    Dec 2004

What wheels for my urban/DJ bike.

OK, I just bought a Chase off ebay, but I have to get wheels and brakes for it. What wheels should I get? I have around $300 to spend on the wheels and $200 to spend on brakes. I'm considering Azonic Outlaw's, Saint hubs on EX-325's, or some Halo's. I love the way the Halo's (white) would look with the bike (blue with white writing), but am worried about the weight of the rear one.

Also, for the brakes, I'm thinking either HFX-9 or Avid BB7. I run Hydros on all my other bikes, but am interested in your thoughts for my Chase.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have a disc wheelset for sale in the MTBR classifieds. See the link in my sig and IM me if you are interested.

Meh.
    Halos are awesome. You just need to remember to pump up your tires. The weight has never bothered me.

BB7 over HFX9. I think the Nines are garbage.

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Halos are awesome. You just need to remember to pump up your tires. The weight has never bothered me.

BB7 over HFX9. I think the Nines are garbage.
    Halos are nice but don't discount the old Sun BFR. I run BFR 24's on mine with a profile rear hub and its fantastic. I also have Outlaws on my Heckler and love the wheels. They take a pounding an convert easily. For the price, they are tough to beat.

As for brakes, I don't like discs for urban unless you own a rotor company or don't plan on grinding. If you go disc, I agree with Will, BB7s.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

To "Air" Is Human
    I run the Halo's on one of my rides...haven't noticed the weight. Nice quality at a inexpensive price. I also have a set of JuJu hubs that I laced to Arrow Racing FRX 24" rims. Lighter, strong, even handbuilt should put you in that price range.. I have also run the Azonics but don't really have a comment...they just worked.

If you went with the nines pick up a pair of EBC red compound pads, they will peform 10x better than OEM.

mtbr remember
    don't get SAS's if you're worried about weight, and in my opinion, they are too wide for street/dj anyway. Look at the Tornado's, and if you can, get one of their sweet DJD SS hubs!

are you running brakes front and rear on the chase?
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Yeah probably go with the Halo's for a pair of rims or maybe go with a pair of Atomlab Trailpimps but I think that the Halo's are better if you cant get the pair of Halo's then most likely try to get a pair of Trailpimps. For brakes I would go with the HFX-9's I have one for my front wheel but I do not have one for my back wheel but they are great brakes in my opinion. For the BB7's I have not tryed them and do not know much about them but they are probably good just as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by xKREDx
    Yeah probably go with the Halo's for a pair of rims or maybe go with a pair of Atomlab Trailpimps but I think that the Halo's are better if you cant get the pair of Halo's then most likely try to get a pair of Trailpimps. For brakes I would go with the HFX-9's I have one for my front wheel but I do not have one for my back wheel but they are great brakes in my opinion. For the BB7's I have not tryed them and do not know much about them but they are probably good just as well.
    Which Halo's are you referring to? also, sorry, but I would have to disagree on the Trailpimps, as I wouldn't recommend them very highly. But I would suggest either the Pimp, or the Pimp Lite if you want to save weight, and combine with the atomlab torque nips.

check out ride-thisdotcom for some factory-built wheel examples (halo tornado, atomlab pimp) if you can't afford hand built. your lbs should be able to get just about any of those shown on that website as well.
    Schralp it Heavy.

To "Air" Is Human
    I probably should have mentioned I run the Halo Tornados not the SAS.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Getting closer to a decision.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm going with the BB7's front and rear for the brakes and am going with Halo's for the wheels, now I'm just deciding between the tornado's or the SAS. Leaning towards the SAS for two reasons. For one, I'm a bigger guy (6'1"/210lbs) so the extra strength will probably be good and two, I love the white rims, they'll look frickin' pimp on a blue Chase with white graphics.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Meh.
    I'm getting Atomlab Trailpimps laced to Hadley hubs to replace my Halos. I wanted to go 26". The rims are a bit heavier, but they are much stronger than the Halos. They are one of the stronger rims on the market.

Satori, why wouldn't you recommend the Trailpimps?

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    I'm getting Atomlab Trailpimps laced to Hadley hubs to replace my Halos. I wanted to go 26". The rims are a bit heavier, but they are much stronger than the Halos. They are one of the stronger rims on the market.

Satori, why wouldn't you recommend the Trailpimps?

Just the fact that they are heavy HEAVY beasts. Also now outdated to the current "Pimp" rims as well, which are lighter, and apparantly stronger, and you can use atomlab's proprietary "torque nips" too. check'em out. That would be a SUPER nice wheelbuild with some hadleys! probably just about the top of my DH/FR wheelset desire list actually, next to some I9's, haha, but the latter mentiond is like looking at bugatti veyron on my income.
    Schralp it Heavy.

Portland, OR
    there really are a lot of options out there, I personally ride just the stock ditch witch rims for urban/park, but they really do kinda suck. I just replaced the front to be a ritchey pro/trail pimp and its tons nicer. but if you didnt want to spend a lot, you could always just get the XT/Singletrack wheelset on jenson for $145.00, I've had a little bad experience with outlaws, I had a pair for about a week, then they failed (rim split apart ) so it went back to Azonic, they wouldent send me another pair, so I got my $ back and bought Mavic Deetraks. their great, but overkill for what you want to do.
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Is a 10mm bolt rear axle necessary?

Do you guys run a standard QR on the rear wheel or a bolt through?

Portland, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJeans
    I run bolth. on my P. I'm useing a bolt on, its pretty stiff and doesnt offer any problems. but also its because I have horizantal dropouts and a QR wouldent work very well back there but you can run QR and be perfictly fine.
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    I run a bolt through (135 Shimano Saint Hub)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    Which Halo's are you referring to? also, sorry, but I would have to disagree on the Trailpimps, as I wouldn't recommend them very highly. But I would suggest either the Pimp, or the Pimp Lite if you want to save weight, and combine with the atomlab torque nips.

check out ride-thisdotcom for some factory-built wheel examples (halo tornado, atomlab pimp) if you can't afford hand built. your lbs should be able to get just about any of those shown on that website as well.
    Wow guess I learn a new thing every day I thought that there was just one type of Trailpimps not the Pimp and the Pimp Lite cool.

mtbr remember
    yeah, I also use a 10mm Saint bolt-on thru-axle, as well as a 14mm bolt-on axle. A "thru-axle" is a little different than just a plain "bolt-on" axle, since the thru axle can actually be slid into the axle, where the "bolt-on" is fixed into place internally, but, both will fit the same size dropouts if they are 10mm.
    QR has no place in street in my opinion.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    yeah, I also use a 10mm Saint bolt-on thru-axle, as well as a 14mm bolt-on axle. A "thru-axle" is a little different than just a plain "bolt-on" axle, since the thru axle can actually be slid into the axle, where the "bolt-on" is fixed into place internally, but, both will fit the same size dropouts if they are 10mm.
    QR has no place in street in my opinion.
    Same in my opinion though QR should not even be allowed in mountain biking in my past experiences all of my QR have broke. Bolt through and 20mm are the way to go I got a bolt thru in the rear and a 20mm in the front and not a problem yet.