Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

What wheel set for a 240+ lb rider?

i've got parts coming for my build...but haven't fully decided on a wheelset yet.. I'm trying to stay budget oriented...if i can.

i've looked at halo sas's...and like them...but they're in the $300 range and that's a little high for me right now.

are there any other wheels that are as strong/stronger for less money?

i'm going to be doing very light trail riding, progressive jumps (just starting to learn), and some urban stuff going too/from the gym with some drops and jumps on the way

mtbr member
    Atomlab trail pimps;they will never give.

I post too much.
    Azonic Outlaws, Trailpimps. Have them tensionned by a pro right out of the box, put em on and forget them.

rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    i'll have to look up the trailpimps

i was over in the clyde forum and saw a thread about like this...but more of a general question than what i asked......and a lot of ppl said the rhynolites.. they're cheap, adn avaible...would they work for jumping?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    youll have to buiild up the rhynos with hubs.. you can get the azoni coutlaws for just a bit over 200. look for the 06's on ebay since the new 07 are out. ive been beating on an outlaw rear for about a year now. its got some dings and came a bit out of true, but for the cost there damn solid

Premium Member
    The Rhyno Lites would be a good XC rim for someone of your weight, but not a jump rim. Hell, I'm 140# and I won't run those things for jumping! (only the XL version for me). I'd look at Outlaws.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    i rode sun single tracks for about a year before the rear gave, and that was my fault because i came up short on a gap.

183 BRO's before hoes.
    Sep 2006
    rear hub

front hub

rims

brass nipples

spokes

indestructable, been using that setup but with DHX rims for a couple years. The rear hub is cheap, bombproof, and has tons of engagement points.

rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ChromedToast
    rear hub

front hub

rims

brass nipples

spokes

indestructable, been using that setup but with DHX rims for a couple years. The rear hub is cheap, bombproof, and has tons of engagement points.

how much do LBS's usually charge for assembly?

I post too much.
    My LBS charges me 25$(canadian) for building the wheel, and one dollar per spoke.

Pro Crastinator
    wrap some Alex DX-32's around some decent hubs and you have a wheelset that will far outlast any of the suggestions given thus far. mine have lasted me almost a solid six years so far and i can easily say that i am about as heavy and ride ridiculosly harder than the posters above. hell my wheels have outlasted my last 3 dj frames, 6 forks, 3 sets of cranks and about 10 sets of pedals...

rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    do you have a link the alex dx-32's?

i'm goign to have to buy some here before too long...i just found a nice little dj section at the place my friend rides XC....so...i'm NEEDING parts..haha

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    http://www.alexrims.com/ choose DH/FR/Trials

rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    alright...what's the going rate on them?

and pretty much...if i can find something, GOOD, that's cheaper than outlaw's...i'll go for it...or maybe even a bit more...but, i think i'm looking at them right now...just more economical for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You may want to check out the wheel specials from these guys...

http://www.ridesoul.com/specials.html

They have Sun - SUV & Disc Jockey.... I dunno how strong they are but they are good deals... I just bought a Halo SAS for $60 from them last week.

rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    i'm actually thinking i want to get the 07 outlaws...they come in white now!

The Outlaws have held up well under me, but then I'm kind of a lightweight and the only hoops I've had real trouble with were Singletracks.

If you want super strong, get a strong rim (select at will--Alex DX32, Mavic 721, Sun Singlewide) and have it laced to a 36 hole hub (Shimano XT generally being the best bang for your buck) by someone who builds a lot of wheels and has a reputation as a good wheel builder with DT Swiss Alpine spokes. Tripple butted spokes, though they are expensive, will give you a very strong wheel. They flex a bit in the thin center and distribute the force a bit more, while still retaining immense strenght at the two places spokes most often break: the elbow and the threads.

Unfortunately it will certainly cost you more to have a set built than to buy a set of Outlaws.

For the money, it's hard to beat Outlaws.

rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    right now...it's all bout the money...

I plan on "investing" in a FS bike...probably another morewood, and then i'll prob dig deep in the wallet for the good good stuff

mtbr member
    You could get a real strong backwheel, and have a milder wheel on the front. I'm 210, and run a dee-max on the back, with a rhynolite on the front. I had a rhynolite on the rear, but kept knocking it out of true, breaking hub, etc. all the time. The rhynolite hasn't been a problem on the front at all though.

183 BRO's before hoes.
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rhd
    how much do LBS's usually charge for assembly?
    Forgot bout that, too used to building everything myself.

rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    ok....well i decided on other plans...and i'm going back to my original though...halo sas's 36f/48r...should be BULLETPROOF even with my weight. And, my LBS is HOOOOOKING me up on them, so...i can't complain
    Quote Originally Posted by milhouse
    I dont think the frame, shock, fork, rims, drive train, handlebars, tires and stem would hold up very well but that kickstand looks pretty burley.

I post too much.
    The backwheel indeed gets much more of a beating than the front, so go for at least a 36h in front. Any well built hoop will outlast the strongest rim laced poorly.

rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    they are 36 in the front
    I dont think the frame, shock, fork, rims, drive train, handlebars, tires and stem would hold up very well but that kickstand looks pretty burley.

rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    ok....i'm back to considering building a wheel set....the SAS's were sold...and, well, ****...i don't feel like ordering ones...when i can't get them for the good deal anymore (it was on the one set that was in stock...for a LONG time...) so, i wanna look into having them build me a set

i know DT swiss spokes...no biggie there, common sense (lol)
    brass nipples...i suppose...don't know a damn thing about them

my big question is hubs and rims...
    the LBS suggested MTX's...as there are some in stock and that's a bonus...might can work a deal...

i'mn gonna be needing to determine some hubs though...prob looked for some used ones...and just need an understanding of which ones are good. preferably 36 spoke...

DH on a HT
    im 260 and ran the azonic outlaws and never had any problems with them and i used there momentum axle that makes the rear bolt-on and never had a problem with them

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast