mtbr member
    Jan 2008

What Headset To Buy?

I am looking to upgrade my head set but i do not know what headset to buy. I am looking to spend about 30 to 70 dollars. I am Looking at the new crank bros headsets but i don't know if they are worth the money($70+) because they are unsealed, and i was also looking at the FSA pig headset too but i don't know. Thanks for any input.

I post too much.
    Upgrading the headset won't do much unless your old one is broken.

FSA's the pig DH is cheap and strong.

Yo!
    mtbr member
    Obviously your main differences are whether or not the headset has an open cage ball bearing, like FSA Pig, or sealed cartridge bearing, like the Pig DH pro.

I personally like the sealed cartridge bearings for ease of serviceability and smoothness. The open ball bearing cages are ok, but it's like the wheel bearing of a car where you have to periodically disassemble and repack them with grease, and they're more susceptible to grime and grit. Plus, with an open cage bearing set-up, if preload isn't properly set, the bearing will fail much more quickly than usual because the load isn't spread over the surface of the entire cage, but instead over one point. This will basically just make for a gritty feel when your turning the bars. Tolerances in sealed bearing headsets are also much tighter.

I use the FSA OrbitXtreme and it kicks ass; super smooth, super reliable, not expensive. Headsets are so simple, alot of it is user preference.

mtbr member
    unless you're current headset is causing you lots of problems or pitted, etc then you have no real reason to get a new one.. unless you're lookin for a bling (CK!!)

Bikes Rule
    Integrated, 1-1/8", 1.5", low stack, etc? What are you looking into? What frame and fork are you running.

A lot goes into a headset decision like stack height, bearing quality, etc. Of course bling plays a part. I personally ride Kings for all 1-1/8" as I like the stack height where I use them. I also like the WeThe People integrated headset because the top cap is very tall which I prefer. Others may want a low stack height on a DH machine to keep the front end low.

A Gentleman and a MTBR'
    I just got a cane creek S8 for my monocog flight AL, it's my fixie/trixie ride and it's great! $30 off fleabay, I don't know about the life yet and this is my first sealed headset, it feels great though.

Meh.
    The Crank Bro headset is pretty bad. It's light, but not durable.

The FSA Pig DH Pro is cheap and durable. Be sure to get the one with sealed cartridge bearings.

mtbr member
    Don't go with the straight FSA pig - i have one on my steelhead it's a pain, took forever to get it adjusted right and i still don't trust it, wish i had gone with Pig DH Pro.

Meh.
    The Pig shouldn't be difficult to adjust... at the very least no more difficult than any other loose ball bearing headset.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't have thought so, i've done a lot of headsets (sealed and loose) and it usually takes a few minutes to get it right, but i would get it where it felt set right, then i'd use the bike a bit, and find it had tiny play, and tighten again, and then more play again after I used the bike some more. Went so far as to see if the stem was moving on the steerer, and it wasn't, something in the headset wasn't totally set in. I will say I had a very hard time getting the crown race on the fork. I went through that cycle 3 times, and now it seems totally in place.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I picked up the Pig DH Pro for under $30 shipped off ebay.

sympathy for society
    Cane Creek Tank Jump. Retails for about $45-$55 dollars. It has sealed bearings, medium stack height, not too heavy, and comes in chrome/silver or black. The headset is super durable and smooth as hell.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    The Crank Bro headset is pretty bad. It's light, but not durable.

The FSA Pig DH Pro is cheap and durable. Be sure to get the one with sealed cartridge bearings.

what about the deep cup stainless steel dh/fr Crank Bros HS? really low stack height

mtbr member
    I take back what I said about the FSA (non-DH) Pig headset above, it's a fine headset and I's an idiot. The reason it wouldn't set right was that I am paranoid about cutting fork steerers too short, and the stem cap was bottoming on the steerer. I cut another 1/8th off the steerer and it went back together and adjusted perfectly on the first try, totally tight but spins easy.