Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 129
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    565

    New question here. What is hands down the best DJ frame in the world?

    Hey, I may want to buy a new frame, but since I already have a tone of components laying around I may be able to splurge a little bit on the frame. SO what is the best MTB dirt jumping frame?
    I heard that the Jackle was number one along with the Yeti DJ, but I am not sure...?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    221
    will you stop posting already? theres not an end-all be-all best frame. it depends what exactly youre looking for in the frame, what geo you prefer, etc.


    just shut up and ride

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ebfreerider510's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,574
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtjumper3
    Hey, I may want to buy a new frame, but since I already have a tone of components laying around I may be able to splurge a little bit on the frame. SO what is the best MTB dirt jumping frame?
    I heard that the Jackle was number one along with the Yeti DJ, but I am not sure...?
    well in my opinion you heard wrong. never ridden either frame but the SC jackal is a disappointment from the looks of it. geo isn't anything special, they are made of alum. yet heavier then most steel frames and they aren't cheap. they do have a cool look though. Yeti DJ's look like a solid frame but again, nothing special and to me not worth the money and probably won't hold up to as much as many other frames.

    do some research, there are plenty better frames out there for the money, probably all made by small companies. it also depends on the rider and what "terrain" they are riding.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    565
    Well then... what is the most durable, longest lasting, geometicly perfect, lightest frame there is?


    Ohhh... and my bike is in the shop, so what else am I going to do?

  5. #5
    Rollin' twenties.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,635
    thats like asking what the best icecream is.

    its preference. there is no "best" frame.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    565
    How can that be? IF there are best DJ forks, best rims, best brakes... then there must be a best frame! Well anyway, what do you guys THINK the best frame is?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ebfreerider510's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,574
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtjumper3
    Well then... what is the most durable, longest lasting, geometicly perfect, lightest frame there is?


    Ohhh... and my bike is in the shop, so what else am I going to do?
    you aren't going to find one frame that is the strongest, lightest, fanciest, sweetest, best geometry-est etc...

    you need to learn more about the geo and general spec of frames, then you will wonder why you posted this thread. asking such a general question is just going to get you a lot of sarcastic answers...it all depends on what you are going to be doing..and not just "dirt jumping" in general.

  8. #8
    Rollin' twenties.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,635
    there arnt really best forks, brakes, or rims either.

    only best stuff for a particular rider.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    565
    So what frame would you recomend for me:

    1) I like getting as much air as possible (light)
    2) I like doing 10 feet drops on flat (durable)
    3) I kind of like the P2 and jackle thing where you can get your leg though that area under the seat easily
    4) I sometimes trial ride
    5) I don't want ot buy another frame for like five years (long lasting)
    6) I like it very responsive to my moves (good geomitry)
    7) last but not least I want it to look good (looks)

  10. #10
    Portland, OR
    Reputation: todd_freeride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,112
    kid...seriously....what are you...8 ?

    there is no such thing as a "best fork" or a "best frame" how many times do we have to tell you this?
    Ibex bikes

    2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

  11. #11
    Rollin' twenties.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,635
    thats about a 5,000 dollar frame....

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    565
    Well like I said, I already have all the components, all I am buying is a frame here, which one?

  13. #13
    Rollin' twenties.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,635

  14. #14
    Rb
    Rb is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,629
    Quote Originally Posted by aggiebiker
    Pinarello > Colnago


  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by aggiebiker
    Thats a fvcking road bike.

  16. #16
    Rollin' twenties.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,635
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bao
    Pinarello > Colnago

    yeah, your right.

    http://www.pedalmag.com/images/pedal...arello%201.jpg

  17. #17
    Rollin' twenties.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,635
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtjumper3
    Thats a fvcking road bike.
    really? i couldnt tell.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jackf40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    152
    lol, black market mobs are pretty sick

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    565
    the mob seems to BMXy for me, but I do like the riot a little, http://www.blackmarketbikes.com/riot.html

    And the cannondale chase seems nice too.

  20. #20
    Rb
    Rb is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,629
    I know I shouldn't be encouraging these sorta retarded threads... but to answer this kid's original question:

    The 2 "best" dirt jump frames I've been blessed to help build up and ride:





    'nuff said.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    565
    My friend has the Yeti 4x, I rode it and hate it, you cant do anything special with full suspension. I looking for a hard tail.

  22. #22
    Rb
    Rb is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtjumper3
    My friend has the Yeti 4x
    Who's your "friend"?

    Less than 1,000 of these frames have ever been made. They're highly sought after (for very obvious reasons) and I can only think of 2 people in the greater Bay Area (since you seem to be from Walnut Creek) who own one and they both race for Yeti/Fox factory.

    I rode it and hate it, you cant do anything special with full suspension. I looking for a hard tail.
    World-cup racer Jared Graves seems to disagree.

    And isn't it somewhat ironic of you to claim you can't do anything "special"? Seems like the only thing "special" YOU can do is trash your bike: I keep bending my rims!!!!
    Last edited by Rb; 08-17-2007 at 12:48 AM.

  23. #23
    Rollin' twenties.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,635
    ^^^^ ftw.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    646
    lol nothing special with dual suspension somebody hasn't seen roam or any the new world disorder movies.


    if you want something to last get a planet x pit bull they are cromo and way heavy duty. but seriously you need to learn what you like in a bike and go from there

  25. #25
    Portland, OR
    Reputation: todd_freeride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,112
    I found your frame.



    you're lucky, its only a complete bike option. so you could you know...probably sell all your components and put a super monster on there and go hit the jumps. the benefit of having two rear wheels, is your bike will no longer tip when you shift your weight, this gives you much better cornering skills and will be mighty handy in tight berms.

    With the use of the handles instead of handlebars, this gives you a much larger advantage, because....NOW YOU CAN PRETEND YOU'RE IN A HELICOPTER!

    The front wheel is direct drive, this gives you better control over your braking and to an extent cornering and acceleration. no more waiting for those hubs to engage. The bike is driven by the front wheel, this will make the bike a good all around trail bike. Take it to whistler one day, jump it the next then finish off the week with a XC race.

    With the super monster, it'll be capable of anything you can throw at it.
    Ibex bikes

    2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

  26. #26
    Rollin' twenties.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,635
    i think everyone here will say that thats the sickest bike ever.




    p.s. look at that head angle!

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    565
    My friend races almost at the pro level on 4x, he went to colorodo to special order it.

    And if you notice in roam, the DJ section is all HARD TAILS!!! If I was into free ride I would have full suspension no dought, but hard tail makes you a better rider.

    Anyway, on a calmer note, I am between the Cannondale chase and the Yeti DJ frame, unless someone has a better one?

  28. #28
    Portland, OR
    Reputation: todd_freeride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,112
    ohh yea, because the cowan DS is just for FR.
    Ibex bikes

    2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

  29. #29
    Rollin' twenties.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,635
    STOP POSTING. my iq goes down every time i read one of your posts.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    565
    Ok Bender!

  31. #31
    Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
    Reputation: thebigred67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,471
    I would get short chain stays and a big cockpit made of steel.
    "Don't give up, Never give up!"

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    565
    Ya, the yeti DJ has a bigger chain stay than most bikes so it won't really work for me.

  33. #33
    Rb
    Rb is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtjumper3
    My friend races almost at the pro level on 4x, he went to colorodo to special order it.
    Your "friend' must not be really smart. He could've just clicked here: http://www.yeticycles.com/Dealers/Dealers.cfm

    made a few phone calls and he would've been able to get one. What a waste of a plane ticket...

    If I was into free ride I would have full suspension no dought, but hard tail makes you a better rider.
    Funny, didn't you claim this was you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtjumper3
    yes i can, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnM-xOE928o me at whistler this year.
    in this thread: What DJ/urban tricks have you made up? ...Pics?

    Anyway, on a calmer note, I am between the Cannondale chase and the Yeti DJ frame, unless someone has a better one?
    Yeah, tell Mommy and Daddy to cut me a check for $2,000 and you can have my bike!




  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    565
    I rented a full suspension bike and headed up to whistler for a week, is there a problem with that? And no, I don't want to buy your bike! I said I like to Dirt Jump, not race! And seeing no one here is going to help me out with getting a new frame...

  35. #35
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,509
    I'll sell my one-off custom anodized (in a very slightly different shade of black) custom built Addict Cycles DJ for 3 large.

    If you ride hard, you'll likely break an aluminum frame. Aluminum has a limited fatigue life. There is no frame that is absolutely indestructible. If you want to drop a few G's on a frame, Charge makes a Ti frame. No fatigue life, light, terribly expensive.

    The Yeti DJ weighs like 6 pounds. There are lighter frames out there.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    565
    Thanks XSL, I was considering the difference between steel and aluminum, although i hate the look of the steel frames, they all look like BMX bikes. But I don't have enough cash to go over a grand at the time. I am going to do a lot more reaserch, I just made this topic in hopes that somone knew of a perfect DJ frame.

  37. #37
    Rb
    Rb is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtjumper3
    I rented a full suspension bike and headed up to whistler for a week, is there a problem with that? And no, I don't want to buy your bike! I said I like to Dirt Jump, not race! And seeing no one here is going to help me out with getting a new frame...
    Racing 4x/dual IS dirt jumping. Nobody said you couldn't dirt jump a 4x bike.

    The Yeti is a great hardtail. You definitely won't be unhappy on it (I've never seen anybody frown riding a Yeti...).

    Go buy one and stop posting.

  38. #38
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,509
    Nothing is perfect. Everything is a compromise.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    565
    no, the chain guid is too long on the yeti, I can trial ride with it.

  40. #40
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,509
    Chain guide? Do you have any idea what you're talking about?

    So you can't jump a squishie, huh? Hmmm... I guess I wasn't really jumping all those years then... D@mn...

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    565
    I don't understand what you are talking about?

  42. #42
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,509
    You said that dual suspension bikes are inadequate for jumping...

    I DJed on my Kona Coiler. Pictures aren't anything special, but it goes to prove a point.




  43. #43
    i like rocks
    Reputation: euroford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,490
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    but it goes to prove a point.
    point = wills a skinny little farker! oh yeah, and sweet jumps.



    this thread = retarded, and why isn't my coffee working this morning?

    you can friggin DJ on anything, best bike is pretty much irrelevant. i ride my bottlerocket on the same jumps that dudes on 20's shred.

    best bike = anything that doesn't break.

  44. #44
    @wishEMT
    Reputation: gwillywish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    344
    karpiel apocalypse, id bet bender would dj on it

  45. #45
    Florida Rider
    Reputation: atomrcrkhsbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    880
    why don't we have moderators who will ban this 3 year old? Maybe they can get rid of pantelis as well. The downfall of mtbr draws near...

  46. #46
    @wishEMT
    Reputation: gwillywish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by atomrcrkhsbiker
    why don't we have moderators who will ban this 3 year old? Maybe they can get rid of pantelis as well. The downfall of mtbr draws near...
    its another potvinwanab lol

  47. #47
    rock hard or hardrock
    Reputation: derfernerf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,047
    Quote Originally Posted by euroford
    point = wills a skinny little farker! oh yeah, and sweet jumps.



    this thread = retarded, and why isn't my coffee working this morning?

    you can friggin DJ on anything, best bike is pretty much irrelevant. i ride my bottlerocket on the same jumps that dudes on 20's shred.

    best bike = anything that doesn't break.
    1)your right, he is skiny
    2)agreed, u can jump anything
    3)bottlerocket... *drool*



    ok dude, there is no "best" frame is what you like...go test some out and see what you like the best

    now stop posting stupid posts
    www.transitionbikes.com

    "The journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step" -Bear Grylls

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ServeEm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    902
    Hey kid, stick with your P2 it's a perfectly fine jumping frame. Why don't you built that up with better forks and whatnot. Once you out grow the P2 then you'll have some notch components to transfer to a frame you know damn well you'll like. By that time you'd have been riding enough to know what geo will fit your size and style. Right now people will be referring a shape frame that suits their style. Right now you probably have zero style and are a dead sailor jumping. Quit rushing, you got years to go.

  49. #49
    I post too much.
    Reputation: snaky69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,446
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtjumper3
    the mob seems to BMXy for me, but I do like the riot a little, http://www.blackmarketbikes.com/riot.html

    And the cannondale chase seems nice too.
    THe mob and riot share the exact same geometry, only difference is tubing used and weight. So neither is more bmx-ish than the other.

    There is no best frame, so quit looking for it.

    IMO, any lightweight Steel frame with the geometry and features you like will rock on the DJ's, but the bike isn't doing much of the work, the rider is. Give DJ pros a bone stock p.1 or STP and they'll be able to ride it just as well as their high end boutique bike.

  50. #50
    rock hard or hardrock
    Reputation: derfernerf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,047
    Quote Originally Posted by ServeEm
    Hey kid, stick with your P2 it's a perfectly fine jumping frame. Why don't you built that up with better forks and whatnot. Once you out grow the P2 then you'll have some notch components to transfer to a frame you know damn well you'll like. By that time you'd have been riding enough to know what geo will fit your size and style. Right now people will be referring a shape frame that suits their style. Right now you probably have zero style and are a dead sailor jumping. Quit rushing, you got years to go.
    EXACTLY WHAT HE SAID ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    www.transitionbikes.com

    "The journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step" -Bear Grylls

  51. #51
    calma
    Reputation: calma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    158
    I have been riding a DMR Sidekick for about 3 years now and have put it through the beats and it is still working from me.

    I am about 210lbs and 6ft tall and consider my self an intermediate djer (which means I still case the odd jump and have a couple of rough landings).

    Other recommendations:
    -Cove stiffie - north shore ridden
    -Norco's
    -Kona's both ht and ds (good budget prices).

    Do you want a hard tail or suspension? Both have advantages and disadvantages.

    Good Luck

  52. #52
    *B*
    *B* is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: *B*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    385
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtjumper3
    So what frame would you recomend for me:

    1) I like getting as much air as possible (light)
    2) I like doing 10 feet drops on flat (durable)
    3) I kind of like the P2 and jackle thing where you can get your leg though that area under the seat easily
    4) I sometimes trial ride
    5) I don't want ot buy another frame for like five years (long lasting)
    6) I like it very responsive to my moves (good geomitry)
    7) last but not least I want it to look good (looks)
    8) I'm a tard ftwftwftwftwftwhijackslap!

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ServeEm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    902
    Check this out, you say you have about a grand to spend on your rig. I know for certain this whole drive of yours is just to look a bit cooler on a new dope bike. Really that just makes you look that much more stupid to your fellow riders wherever you ride at.

    What you should do is call your lbs and ask em to dismantle your bike. Take it home and strip the paint, find a cool color you like from a quality rattle can co. Paint it up a few times over, order yourself a new NemPro fork. Find quality wheels, new NemPro stem/bar combo and you'll have a damn good looking functional bike. That could be had under a grand and you'll be happy. Lost but happy.

    Oh and have your dad or mom paint your bike.

  54. #54
    rock hard or hardrock
    Reputation: derfernerf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,047
    Quote Originally Posted by ServeEm
    Check this out, you say you have about a grand to spend on your rig. I know for certain this whole drive of yours is just to look a bit cooler on a new dope bike. Really that just makes you look that much more stupid to your fellow riders wherever you ride at.

    What you should do is call your lbs and ask em to dismantle your bike. Take it home and strip the paint, find a cool color you like from a quality rattle can co. Paint it up a few times over, order yourself a new NemPro fork. Find quality wheels, new NemPro stem/bar combo and you'll have a damn good looking functional bike. That could be had under a grand and you'll be happy. Lost but happy.

    Oh and have your dad or mom paint your bike.
    (kinda double post)
    EXACTLY WHAT HE SAID^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^
    www.transitionbikes.com

    "The journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step" -Bear Grylls

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ServeEm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by derfernerf
    (kinda double post)
    EXACTLY WHAT HE SAID^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^
    I would agree to a point, I was just detailing what I'd do I guess. Or more of an after thought on the point that he just wants a new dope bike to sport. When I get bored with the look of my bike I'll just paint her up and she feel all fresh again. I remember seeing Boxxer's P bikes all painted up and they look f'n sick. With that grand he could get pretty damn close to looking like them. He'll have to have his dad paint it but he could bribe dad by mowing the lawn.

  56. #56
    rock hard or hardrock
    Reputation: derfernerf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,047
    Quote Originally Posted by ServeEm
    I would agree to a point, I was just detailing what I'd do I guess. Or more of an after thought on the point that he just wants a new dope bike to sport. When I get bored with the look of my bike I'll just paint her up and she feel all fresh again. I remember seeing Boxxer's P bikes all painted up and they look f'n sick. With that grand he could get pretty damn close to looking like them. He'll have to have his dad paint it but he could bribe dad by mowing the lawn.

    yea, since your frame is pretty good allready, just paint over it and dump that grand into better parts....no need to have a super good frame and stock parts from a p1 or what ever you have........better idea to go with better parts and re-paint your frame, it will still look very sexy if you get the right parts
    www.transitionbikes.com

    "The journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step" -Bear Grylls

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    565
    No, I keeping my p2, but I have enough spare parts to make another bike, I just don't have a DJ frame.

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ServeEm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    902
    I give up, go get another frame and build another halfass bike so you can have two halfass bikes.

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    565
    Well eventualy i want to sell one, but it won't be easy selling one part at a time so if I just buy a frame, see which bike I like more, and sell the other I will be all set.

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by aggiebiker
    really cuz i was likin this one
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (19.6 KB, 650 views)

  61. #61
    Rollin' twenties.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,635
    No One Can Handle That Radness. ^^^^^^

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    86
    If you have unlimited money I would have a custom built frame made. Then you have your own specs put in, and metals, with even your own colors.

  63. #63
    SamIAm
    Reputation: SamL3227's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,036
    wow, i needed to smoke something before i read all this nonsense.....bleh.

    bmx is the originator, go with it. just buy any damm cromo frame with under 16in stays and you wont go wrong, no frame is perfect, so quit trying to get a lvl 97 uber godslaying frame with infinite durability and negative weight, it just doesnt exist.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    722
    Quote Originally Posted by ServeEm
    Check this out, you say you have about a grand to spend on your rig. I know for certain this whole drive of yours is just to look a bit cooler on a new dope bike. Really that just makes you look that much more stupid to your fellow riders wherever you ride at.

    What you should do is call your lbs and ask em to dismantle your bike. Take it home and strip the paint, find a cool color you like from a quality rattle can co. Paint it up a few times over, order yourself a new NemPro fork. Find quality wheels, new NemPro stem/bar combo and you'll have a damn good looking functional bike. That could be had under a grand and you'll be happy. Lost but happy.

    Oh and have your dad or mom paint your bike.
    Serve Em has some great advice here. I doubt that the p2 is holding you back anyway. Maybe only in weight but you can lighten it up pretty easily with a new fork and other parts (bars, stems, cranks, singlespeed, pretty much everything Serve Em said). That's another suggestion is if your bike is not singlespeed yet then go ahead and give singlespeed a try. This will definetly lighten up your bike.

    I know that it is very tempting to go out and buy some super sweet frame. But I think you might want to stick with your current frame for now. This is just my personal opinion so you can take it or leave it. Happy Trails

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by TXneedmountain
    Serve Em has some great advice here. I doubt that the p2 is holding you back anyway. Maybe only in weight but you can lighten it up pretty easily with a new fork and other parts (bars, stems, cranks, singlespeed, pretty much everything Serve Em said). That's another suggestion is if your bike is not singlespeed yet then go ahead and give singlespeed a try. This will definetly lighten up your bike.

    I know that it is very tempting to go out and buy some super sweet frame. But I think you might want to stick with your current frame for now. This is just my personal opinion so you can take it or leave it. Happy Trails
    wow, thanks for the advice, I was beginning to think everyone here was a jerk. And yes I am trying to lighten up my P2, but as of know it hasn't been that big of a problem. I can get it back today from the shop. I was considering running single speed, taking of the front brake, and getting a new fork, but in the near future... my set up now is just fine.

    THe only reasen I have wanted a new frame was becuse i have an uber amount of bike parts just sitting around. SO If I got a good frame, hooked it up with parts and sold it for double the price I could make some money.

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    722
    That would be a good idea except a custom bike usually won't go for as much as it cost to build. You might be better off selling the bike parts alone then as a complete bike if all you want is to earn some money. There are many great frames out there all waiting to be bought and the best frame is one that you find yourself. Some relatively inexpensive frames with less than 16in chainstays would the Evil DOC, Transition ToP, BlckMrkt mob/riot, dobermann pinchser, and lots of others. I hope this helps. Happy Trails.

  67. #67
    dirt rules
    Reputation: sittingduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,050
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtjumper3
    I rented a full suspension bike and headed up to whistler for a week, is there a problem with that? And no, I don't want to buy your bike! I said I like to Dirt Jump, not race! And seeing no one here is going to help me out with getting a new frame...
    You must think people are as stupid as you are... the video you claim is you, was made LAST year, and the guy that's riding in it is from CANADA. Grow up!

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,282
    you stated in an earlier post, taht a HT makes you a better rider. 1st off thats not exactly true. some ppl are just plain sh!ty riders, no mater what bike they are on. however, an HT is very helpfull when learning basic moves. however an ever better bike would be to get a 20''.


    oh and for all of you taht think Will is skinny as fvck in that pic, oh god, you should see him in real life. he looks like he just came out of a concentration camp.

  69. #69
    rock hard or hardrock
    Reputation: derfernerf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,047
    haha, hey will...have you ever heard of food? you eat it and sometimes, if you eat enough of it, then u might gain a little weight =P. you should try it some time its really cool!






    haha jk will, im just jealous cuz im fat
    www.transitionbikes.com

    "The journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step" -Bear Grylls

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    471
    banshee morphine
    2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Southern Maine

  71. #71
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,509
    Quote Originally Posted by derfernerf
    haha, hey will...have you ever heard of food? you eat it and sometimes, if you eat enough of it, then u might gain a little weight =P. you should try it some time its really cool!






    haha jk will, im just jealous cuz im fat
    My daily caloric intake is as much as some body builders. 4% body fat. At 5'8" I'm 135 pounds of muscle. Haha. Why does it matter if I'm skinny? I can ride a bike. And I can sure as hell hold my own ground in a fight too. Size is not everything.

    Pat, I'm sorry that I can't be huge like Zach. I know you like big boys. Heheh.

    Got to love a good crash and a face full of dirt. Dirt has lots of calories and protein, right?


    I think this is a pretty picture.


    I know I've got some pictures of clicked x-ups and okay tables and whipssomewhere...

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,282
    srry Will, u got it all wrong. i aint into guys, specialy not ones liek zach. infact he was hittin on me, thats why i moved down to Kansas City, to get away from him since he wanted his way w/ me so badly.

  73. #73
    eminence front
    Reputation: xray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    367
    In Soviet Russia, bike rides you!

  74. #74
    @wishEMT
    Reputation: gwillywish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombrio69
    srry Will, u got it all wrong. i aint into guys, specialy not ones liek zach. infact he was hittin on me, thats why i moved down to Kansas City, to get away from him since he wanted his way w/ me so badly.
    thanks pat, i was just over at that kid's house yesterday, nice image, good thing he doesn't browse here anymore, well, at least untill school starts, next week...

  75. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    110
    You just never know when I'll pop in, do you Pat?

    Consider it by luck that you moved to Kansas. So have the locals called you a poser yet since you were building that 20" to huck t3h gn@r?

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    64
    check out addct cycles i have one switche all my parts from my old cannondale chase. the rear bracket is sick you can adjust the wheel foward or back to set chain tension. i had so much trouble with my chain comming off on my chase chain only came off once because i didnt have it adjusted right. the geometry sucks for anything except jumping and park. www.addictcycles.com oh yah the addict was built only because there were no good bikes for dj or park give it a shot

  77. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    565
    YA, that looks real nice, what do they go for for frame only?

  78. #78
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,509
    Check the website... it's clearly listed...

    And no, it was not built because there are no other good bikes. There are plenty of other good bikes. And the geometry is versatile enough to ride street, northshore, and race on too. Hell, I raced DH with mine. I'm not bashing the frame. I've had one for over a year now.

    Current
    " width="549">

    Previous





    More previous

  79. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    565
    It kinda looks like the 04 P2's... But very nice! I saw on the web page the guy had pegs. Does this frame com addaptable with pegs?

  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    110
    Anyways, for my fanboyism to come out.

    The frame has to be chromoly. Aluminum is too harsh and non forgiving for me.

    Going from a Redline Proline to a Standard 100R, with minimal geo differences, made the biggest difference in the world. Now I can only suggest Standard to those building 20" bikes.

  81. #81
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,509
    Your PHD is aluminum...

    I don't see any resemblance to a p.bike... Perhaps color, they're both aluminum, and they are bikes. P.bike uses tubing that has a completely different profile to it. P.bike does not have integrated tensioners, nor CNC machined chainstay and seatstay yokes and headtube. Specialized can only dream of making a bike of this quality. And as for parts? I didn't hold back when I built my Addict. Can hardly say the same for Specialized.

  82. #82
    i like rocks
    Reputation: euroford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,490
    personal taste, i never liked the tapered look of the down and top tubes on that rig.

    but: for build quality and cool features, that thing does well, those dropouts and that chainstay bridge are sweet. and your build is sick. cept put the saints back on! or at least get those xt's powedercoated. maybe replace them with hones?

    too bad it has canti boses though, that would piss me off. make we want to get out the grinder.

    some of the p.bikes i dig, but i would never buy another one. forget supporting the corporate machine. they could make the hands down best of everything and i still wouldn't buy it.

  83. #83
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,509
    Quote Originally Posted by euroford
    personal taste, i never liked the tapered look of the down and top tubes on that rig.

    but: for build quality and cool features, that thing does well, those dropouts and that chainstay bridge are sweet. and your build is sick. cept put the saints back on! or at least get those xt's powedercoated. maybe replace them with hones?

    too bad it has canti boses though, that would piss me off. make we want to get out the grinder.

    some of the p.bikes i dig, but i would never buy another one. forget supporting the corporate machine. they could make the hands down best of everything and i still wouldn't buy it.
    It's functional, kinda like the Easton Rad tubing or the Kona Clump tubing. Adds rigidity and exposes more area for welding.

    As for the XTs... lost like 10 ounces over the Saints and I already had them sitting around. I might hit up the auto shop and powdercoat the cranks when I come back around x-mas.

    I have thought about grinding the bosses off. But... if I lace up new wheels, I might just go with a rear that has a rim brake surface. Plus the frame's anodized and I haven't found a clean way to get at them.

    I'm not saying the p.bikes are bad. I'm just saying that it's a bad comparison. I know what you're saying. I think that some of the Big S bikes are pretty cool. But they're recent trend of using proprietary components (different hub standard, and possibly a different headtube standard in upcoming years) is pretty whack. I also believe that their business ethics are shady as hell.

  84. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,282
    Quote Originally Posted by 2006FisherPHD
    Anyways, for my fanboyism to come out.

    The frame has to be chromoly. Aluminum is too harsh and non forgiving for me.

    Going from a Redline Proline to a Standard 100R, with minimal geo differences, made the biggest difference in the world. Now I can only suggest Standard to those building 20" bikes.
    so than why do u ride that PHD. i know u got it for free (- race fee's). but u have a perfictly good P.1 Cro-Mo frame, besides teh shity ass pain job u gave it.

    oh and zach, i dont have a 20'' and am not building one up, atleast for right now. im having way to much fun riding real DJ's and real street. not those sh!ty DJ's at Farmdale.

  85. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombrio69
    so than why do u ride that PHD. i know u got it for free (- race fee's). but u have a perfictly good P.1 Cro-Mo frame, besides teh shity ass pain job u gave it.

    oh and zach, i dont have a 20'' and am not building one up, atleast for right now. im having way to much fun riding real DJ's and real street. not those sh!ty DJ's at Farmdale.
    Because I would have to replace the freehub on my rear wheel and Russell's stripped the bolt in the hub to get it out. Don't feel like buying a new hub.

    I'm building my Mosh up, just need chain and brakes/cable.

  86. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ServeEm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    902
    I'm glad to see this thread turn into a more intellectual discussion. All it took was fvck off to not post, nice.

  87. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    565
    Ya, I am not a big fan of P. Bikes, nor specialized for that matter but you have to admit you get alot for your money and a great bike to trash around.

    As for a new frame, I do like the addict a lot but I still have a ton of research to do.

  88. #88
    Rb
    Rb is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,629
    Sweet DJ frame if you ask me:

    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Frame+07.aspx

    And by the sounds of it, you're probably a small guy who deosn't have much money to spend. Free Easton bar ain't bad.

    Good luck supergrom.

  89. #89
    surf-ride-repeat
    Reputation: pdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bao
    Sweet DJ frame if you ask me:

    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Frame+07.aspx

    And by the sounds of it, you're probably a small guy who deosn't have much money to spend. Free Easton bar ain't bad.

    Good luck supergrom.

    That is a stellar deal! Why this kid think his P2 isn't a perfect DJ geo is beyond me... the P series have short stays and low BB... that's yer baby right there, so why ????

    meh.

  90. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    565
    like I said before, I can make another bike with some spare parts, just need a frame. And that frame isn't really my style. I think I am going to get the jackle...

  91. #91
    Rollin' twenties.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,635
    youll get more cash for selling the parts off individualy.

  92. #92
    resident dumbass
    Reputation: dirtyharry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,070
    I . . . love . . . lamp . . .
    I'm out of things to say . . .

  93. #93
    Rb
    Rb is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtjumper3
    like I said before, I can make another bike with some spare parts, just need a frame. And that frame isn't really my style. I think I am going to get the jackle...
    What IS your style?

  94. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtjumper3
    I rented a full suspension bike and headed up to whistler for a week, is there a problem with that? And no, I don't want to buy your bike! I said I like to Dirt Jump, not race! And seeing no one here is going to help me out with getting a new frame...

    again...THATS NOT YOU...i know the person who's vid that is.

  95. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bao
    What IS your style?

    Pretty much everything you can do on a hard tail, dirt jump, street, park, trial. I think I am best at street, but I like dirt jumping a lot.

  96. #96
    Rollin' twenties.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,635
    he was refering to what type of frame is your style.

  97. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    565
    ohh... whoops, My two favorite frames are the chase and jackle (although a lot different) based upon there geomitry. ALL the other links people have given me just don't click.


    Hey, does anyone know how much the chase1 07, frame only is?

  98. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    664
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtjumper3
    Well then... what is the most durable, longest lasting, geometicly perfect, lightest frame there is?


    Ohhh... and my bike is in the shop, so what else am I going to do?
    the Giant STP is hella light and strong.
    I love the geo of the frame
    let me guese your bike is in the shop with rim problems lol

  99. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    664
    dirt jumper3 luke is full of ********

  100. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    664
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtjumper3
    the mob seems to BMXy for me, but I do like the riot a little, http://www.blackmarketbikes.com/riot.html

    And the cannondale chase seems nice too.
    bmxy what the f u c k does that mean.
    how many frames have you seen alone
    good mountain bikes have simmilar geo to BMX!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •