Thread: what frame?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

what frame?

I am thinking about getting a frame to use for dj's and urban. Any suggestions? I don't want anything too expensive but I defianetly need something strong...I am pretty hard on my bikes. Is the gt moto any good? I found one on ebay that looked like it would do the job. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

I post too much.
    I wouldn't got the GT way. Are you looking at frame only or do you want a complete bike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Just a frame, I have some spare parts lying around that I was gonna use to build it up. If I find a sweet a deal on a complete I might get it, but for now I'm just looking at frames. Thanks

I post too much.
    An azonic steelhead looks like it'd be the way to go, cheap, cromoly, and hear it rides great too.

mtbr member
    I heard good things about the Steelhead myself.

resident dumbass
    Steelheads are surprisingly light, too.

You can pick up a used 04-05 P. Series frame for no more than about 200 anywhere. They are great frames. Nothing extraordinary or mouth watering (with the exception of Cru's), but they get the job done and ride well on practically anything. They even work for trials in a pinch. But then again so does everything
    I'm out of things to say . . .

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Anybody got a steelhead for sale? Where's the best place to get one?

mtbr member
    I haven't looked lately, but there were people selling Steelheads on ebay for cheap. My only problem with the steelhead was the long chainstays, so I ended up with an Atomlab GI for not much more.

resident dumbass
    unless you're a beat the sh!t out of everything unsmoothly rider extraordinaire (hey, that's me!) the P. frame will do you better.

Crusty cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyharry
    Steelheads are surprisingly light, too.

You can pick up a used 04-05 P. Series frame for no more than about 200 anywhere. They are great frames. Nothing extraordinary or mouth watering (with the exception of Cru's), but they get the job done and ride well on practically anything. They even work for trials in a pinch. But then again so does everything
    Sorry man, but I wouldn't call seven and a half pounds light.

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by americanethics
    Sorry man, but I wouldn't call seven and a half pounds light.
    thank heavens some said it. the Steelhead is a tank. Strong but very heavy. Slack headtube, long chainstays....might work for some urban I guess but as a dj bike, it's just not there. I'd stay away from the GT (or any alu frame) for urban as it would only be a matter of time before you trashed it. The steel P would be a great place to start if you want to keep the money reasonable. If not, I'd get a 20" and be done with it. You can get a decent complete for less than most "cheap" end mtb frames. You can even go to a cromo cruiser and add beefier hoops and stay around the same price as an mtb frame only.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

resident dumbass
    Are you kidding me? J-doggs whole setup feels like it weighs no more than 25! But then again, I'm used to a Trek Bruiser with a Hugeass Marzocchi, so it could just be relative.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte
    thank heavens some said it. the Steelhead is a tank. Strong but very heavy. Slack headtube, long chainstays....might work for some urban I guess but as a dj bike, it's just not there.
    I am kind of a noob so I was wondering what effect the length of the chainstays has on the bike. Would I notice that much of a difference in how the bike rides with different chainstay lengths? Thanks for the help

Florida Rider
    a khs dj 100 would serve you well. Its very Similar to the steel head, and I believe it is slightly lighter. and Im selling one for pretty cheap, pm me if your interested.

mtbr member
    Chainstay length affects how easily the bike wheelies/manuals. Long chainstay = harder to wheelie. Wheelies/manuals may be a good thing or bad thing depending on how you want to ride it. The steelhead is based on the old DS-1 dual slalom bike which wasn't really meant to wheelie very easily otherwise you'd "loop out" in a race. If you're racing you want to keep the power to the ground. The longer wheelbase usually makes the bike more stable at high speed too.
    At the other end, something like an Evil DOC has short stays and is intended for parks and urban where manuals are a good thing and you usually aren't riding as fast as possible.

I post too much.
    A bmx might also be good like someone mentionned.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by atomrcrkhsbiker
    a khs dj 100 would serve you well. Its very Similar to the steel head, and I believe it is slightly lighter. and Im selling one for pretty cheap, pm me if your interested.
    Anybody else have an opinion about the khs dj?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    A bmx might also be good like someone mentionned.
    I'd like to stick with a mountain bike...I have never really liked riding bmx, they have always just felt weird to me.

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_c_s4
    I'd like to stick with a mountain bike...I have never really liked riding bmx, they have always just felt weird to me.
    You're like me then.

the best of both worlds
    Quote Originally Posted by j_c_s4
    Anybody else have an opinion about the khs dj?
    Adrenaline bikes has the KHS DJ100 for really cheap. I think the frame is $70.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    identiti dr. jekyll
    so this is how you add a signature!!