Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

What do you think about using an ibis for dirt jumping?

the second one is closer to the drivetain i will put on it.

blue frame
    pike or 36 fox
    xt drivetrain
    magura marta 8 inch rotors
    mavic cross max rims

i am going to use it for dirt jumping/freerid,all mountain, and xc racing.
    Trek T1 . MOJO SL 2011 Fox 32 Talas 1X10 FTW

Just Ride
    bro its carbon, i would not dirt jump/freeide/ huck that sh!t ever. that thing is an alllmountain bike at most. you cant buy one bike to do all those things, sorry it jsut doesnt owrk like that. your welcome to try but its not gunna be any fun and you may well get hurt. right tool for the job...

mtbr member
    i've been using a trek 8000 hardtail with all cross country compponents on it for 2 years know. it sucks! the ibis is sopposedly a pretty damn strong frame. With the right hardware i think it could be pretty industructale bike.

i generly ride jumps under 6 feet tall and drops under 12. I

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I would set it up with a road crankset instead, you are going to need the 53t chainring if you really get into All Mountain.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by ikilledkenny2
    the second one is closer to the drivetain i will put on it. i am going to use it for dirt jumping/freerid,all mountain, and xc racing.

mtbr member
    hehehe
    i think i will stick with the my xt crank.

ps i know a company who builds carbon fiber downhill bikes i am shore they would know if carbon wasn't strong enough.

Rollin' twenties.
    Apr 2006
    i say huck it,but make sure you show us pics of your shatered $8,000,000 frame

Meh.
    Why? Use the right tool for the job. I imagine the IBIS would not pump the jumps very well. The geometry is not intended for dirtjumping, DH, or freeride. It'a an all mountain rig. Bad idea.

There are many different types of weaves for carbon fiber. You can lay it out in different directions. You can also get different weaves, there are 6k, 3k, etc weaves. There's different ways to bond the carbon. There are different epoxies used to bond the carbon A lot of things to consider. Carbon fiber is extremely brittle, and damage is often hidden. You might smack it on a rock. At first, it'll look fine, next time you put enough stress on that area, it may catastrophically fail. I've seen it happen to SEVERAL carbon DH bars.

Often times, you'll see weight limits on carbon frames. Specialized is very cautious about their wording towards the full-carbon S-Works Stumpjumper. The impression I get from reading the description is that it's targeted as a race-only or a casual riding bike. it's not meant for really beating on, and if you do, you do it at your own risk.

Scott claims that you can smack their carbon mountain frames with a hammer and it'll only fatigue by roughly 5%. I'd say that's pretty good, but I'm forced to wonder.

It's the wrong tool. Material aside, the design and geometry is simply not targeted towards this type of use.

I post too much.
    I wouldn't do it. For all mountain it'd be a great ride though.

mtbr remember
    when I saw that thread title, I was like, oh somebody found a good deal on a nice old steel ibis and wants to convert it or something, then I see the first pictures.... oh man... Ikilledkenny2, you cannot be serious?

listen to XSL_WiLL, that is NOT the correct tool for the job, not even close.

recipe for disaster right there.... and possibly THE most expensive way to play trial and error.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    like others have said...get the right tool for the job. lots of FS DJ frames out there

Just Ride
    yes there are several companies that make DOWNHILL carbon bikes. ibis makes CROSS COUNTRY carbon bikes. when you hear down hill, you think big burly bad ass strong whatever, when you hear cross country you think sissy litle spandex clad pedal and go work bullsh!t. there is alot more carbon used and as will mentioned a completely differnt type of carbon fiber used. that bike is not made for dirt jumps or drops really. it'll handle some harder trail abuse, thats. about. it. dont believe us, call ibis, they'll tell ya straightup and they wanna sell you a bike.

so you know what its like to jump a XC bike, if you've bene jupming an 8000. you know how all the angles feel like sh!t and its hard to even bunny hop it yeah? so why would you expect to be able to buy another XC bikek and have it fix this issue? as far as the issue wiht putting strong components on goes. xt stuff is tough as hell. i've taken my xt cranks off some gnarly stuff. with my pike on it too. but they're both on a 5.5lbs true temper steel frame. yeah if you put a full saint groupo on there, thats gunan be a pretty burly build, but after your frame snaps that burly saint groupo doesnt mean a whole lot. oh and drop those wheels off a couple 10 footers and unless your really smooth, they're done too. those wheels are designed for all mountain at most, just like the rest of the bike.

if you want to get a allmountainy cross country ish bike go for that ibis. if you want to be able to go jumping and stuff too, i might consider getting something alittle less flashy for the AM bike, and then dropping alittle bit on a decent hardtail that can be hucked a bit.

tuck-n-roll master
    I say stay away from the Ibis and go for a Santa Cruz Nomad. Very similar bikes.

I post too much.
    A hardtail is the right tool for jumping. Nobody needs all day squish hehe.

mtbr member
    I like the nomad it seems pretty burly and would fit the more extreme of my purposes. But that thing would be a ***** up a hill.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Huh?

Holy crap, am I the only person who thinks this post is a big, fat troll?

mtbr member
    heckler

mtbr member
    I like the nomad it seems pretty burly and would fit the more extreme of my purposes. But that thing would be a ***** up a hill.
    what are you talking about? the whole point of the nomad is to be super nice down and up the hill. im sure it would pedal up just as well as anything else. people race DH, XC and 4X/DS on nomads...kind of seems like you may of posted this in the wrong forum

mtbr remember
    heckler
    I'm not sure if you are referring to the bike frame, or posters on this forum....

I honestly think you will get much more useable feedback if you post in the "All Mountain" or "DH/FR" forums. Please try there. These bikes being discussed here are NOT "urban/dj/park" bikes... good luck.
    Schralp it Heavy.

#1 Ho
    hehehe
    i think i will stick with the my xt crank.

ps i know a company who builds carbon fiber downhill bikes i am shore they would know if carbon wasn't strong enough.
    ok......what the hell is wrong with you. You want to spend a ton of money on a bike so that you can do things on it that it was never intended to do. Why does this sound ok to you? You could either spend thousands of dollars on a bike that you are going to ruin in a week or spend about $800 on a bike that would actually be made to jump.

I cant wait until you come off a jump only to have a piece of indestructable carbon fiber sticking out of your thigh.
    [[SIZE=2]Go big then go home[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    I am asking this because these bikes will be used for quite a bit of dirt jumping

I already rode that
    If you can afford to replace that frame every other day or so then sure DJ away!
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

Just Ride
    the nomad replaced the heckler. same travel simliar geo, differnt linkage.

Meh.
    If you want a short travel squish to DJ, get a Kona Howler, Planet X, Mountain Cycle Battery, Transition Double, etc. Lots of short and efficient full-sus rigs out there that can take the abuse.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    That's one of the best DJ bikes around!

*waits to see thread of broken Ibis bike*

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice i like the transition double it seams to be a pretty durable bike and will hold up to any thing i through at it but i might just end up buying a nomad frame set and putting the parts mentioned above on it with exception of the wheels. Or i might just spend 1000 dollars and buy a dirt jumper of sorts and spend the rest on a new xc rig.
    to many options to little money
    thanks for your oppions

ps i am a poor student
    buy the way the broken ibis bikes was an old hardtail
    Last edited by ikilledkenny2; 10-19-2006 at 08:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast