mtbr member
    Jan 2008

What chainwheel to get and Q's?

I am looking to replace my 28t Kink sound chainwheel. I have a 2007 Transition trail or park. I am looking at the Oddesy MDS chainwheel or the animal Vinne Lite (what other sprockets are light and strong). I was also thinking of getting the new sproket in 25t so should i get a 12 tooth in the rear? Thanks for the comments.

Meh.
    What size you get in the rear depends on what size you currently have and whether or not you want to keep the same gear ratio.

The Animal Vinnie Lites (2.5 oz for 25t) are nice. The Demolition M5 is a bit lighter (2.0 oz for 25t). The Eastern Medusa Lite is even lighter (1.7 oz for 25t). The Macneil Primary is slightly lighter (1.6 oz for 25t).

The MDS is quite heavy (4.7oz for 25t). The Mosh Cooper guard also has a built in guard that weighs 3.6oz for the 25t.

Really though, with small sprockets and a burly chain, I don't feel that that guards are that necessary. Especially if you don't do lots of stalls and pedal grinds.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I Currently have a 28:14 (2:1)right now. I guess i just liked the the looks of the MDS. Still is a 25 to 12 a good ratio.

Bikes Rule
    Also look at Tree Lite splined if you run a 19mm 48 splined spindle. I love them. Really minimizes tight spots, light and strong.

Meh.
    25:12 is going to be a tiny bit harder. But I like it.

The Tree is not that light. It weighs 2.6oz for the 25t.

mtbr member
    it would be better with a 26x12 or 25x10. I personally like the bigger gearing 28x13 or 30x14 but it is all what you want to do and crank length matters also longer crank arms make it easier to spin harder gears.

dirt rules
    25/12 is too light, in my opinion. I run 28/12. You won't notice much difference with 25/12 over your old setup though. If you liked that, you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingduck
    25/12 is too light, in my opinion. I run 28/12. You won't notice much difference with 25/12 over your old setup though. If you liked that, you'll be fine.
    i was thinking of going 28/12 how much different is it then 28/13?

dirt rules
    Quote Originally Posted by quickneonrt
    i was thinking of going 28/12 how much different is it then 28/13?

http://software.bareknucklebrigade.c...it.applet.html

Bikes Rule
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    25:12 is going to be a tiny bit harder. But I like it.

The Tree is not that light. It weighs 2.6oz for the 25t.
    True. But I would sacrifice an oz for no tight spot. Plus no crank bolt. And to be really cool get the new Profile cranks that have no bolt receiver on the drive side.

one chain, two sprockets
    Sep 2008
    I grabbed an MDS when I built my bike. I liked the look, and it has saved me from chain-against-rocks many times...

Tom P.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I realized that my 2:1 ration was too light. Should I just go with the 28tooth MDS and get like a 13t or a 12t in the rear?

mtbr member
    i went with a 28t profile imperial because i like the looks of it but went with one of these for a 36t dose not hang down to far and works perfect

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Bashguard.aspx