mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What chain guide should I get for my Kona Cowan?

OK, so my Kona Cowan frame is on the way. Gotta figure out the drivetrain... Im definitely going 1x9 with my Truvativ Hussefelt crank so I need a chain guide. I was thinking the E13 STS... http://www.e13components.com/product_sts.html

Any other recommedations?

mtbr remember
    did you get the Cowan, or Cowan DS? the DS has the pivot centered around the BB, so guide clearance might be an issue, but I don't know for sure since I've never mounted one on that frame.

anyway, check out simple minds tech (SMT) chainguides, they look solid, but I see they changed their design, I think I liked the first versions a bit better, although the new ones are a bit simpler.
    if you're going e.thirteen, I'd recommend the 32special/STP chainguide, or go with (this is what I'm picking up for my turner rail) the LG-1, the buy a separate supercharger, then cut it into 1/3's, and mount it on the inside of the inner plate, so your bash area is more centered on the bike- also lighter, simpler, less moving parts/rotating, and less things sticking out the drive-side, etc.

if you do not need the bashguard as much, I've been running a very simple and light TruVativ Boxguide for almost 3 years now, and it is trusty and simple, although noisy at times, but they are cheap too and very adjustable. but then again, this is what I'm replacing with the LG-1 mod.

and if not, heck just go SS, I did on my street/dj bike, haha....
    Schralp it Heavy.

Meh.
    e13 is the way to go. Super good guides.

My buddy is starting to make his own guides. They're getting there. He needs some thicker aluminum stock for the backplates. The current ones are a bit too flimsy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    did you get the Cowan, or Cowan DS? the DS has the pivot centered around the BB, so guide clearance might be an issue, but I don't know for sure since I've never mounted one on that frame.

anyway, check out simple minds tech (SMT) chainguides, they look solid, but I see they changed their design, I think I liked the first versions a bit better, although the new ones are a bit simpler.
    if you're going e.thirteen, I'd recommend the 32special/STP chainguide, or go with (this is what I'm picking up for my turner rail) the LG-1, the buy a separate supercharger, then cut it into 1/3's, and mount it on the inside of the inner plate, so your bash area is more centered on the bike- also lighter, simpler, less moving parts/rotating, and less things sticking out the drive-side, etc.

if you do not need the bashguard as much, I've been running a very simple and light TruVativ Boxguide for almost 3 years now, and it is trusty and simple, although noisy at times, but they are cheap too and very adjustable. but then again, this is what I'm replacing with the LG-1 mod.

and if not, heck just go SS, I did on my street/dj bike, haha....
    Its the Cowan hardtail dj bike. The E13 guide picker suggests the STS or 32 Special for my application. Interesting thing is that my LBS's catalog (QBP) doesn't list those two guides...wondering if they are maybe new 2007 guides (their catalog was an '06). Hopefully they can get the STS.

I'll have to look into that TruVativ Boxguide since both my bottom bracket and crank are TruVativ...might make it a little more compatible although E13 said I should have no problems with the STS.

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by ajoc_prez
    Its the Cowan hardtail dj bike. The E13 guide picker suggests the STS or 32 Special for my application. Interesting thing is that my LBS's catalog (QBP) doesn't list those two guides...wondering if they are maybe new 2007 guides (their catalog was an '06). Hopefully they can get the STS.

I'll have to look into that TruVativ Boxguide since both my bottom bracket and crank are TruVativ...might make it a little more compatible although E13 said I should have no problems with the STS.

STS is basically the og of their lineup, STP/32Special is new, but your lbs should have no problem sourcing one, maybe they were looking in a slightly dated catalog. STS will be just as compatible with your cranks as the boxguide, no worries. only thing is, the STS is just a bit bigger than the 32special, so, it comes down to what ring you are running in the front, 34-36, or 32 and smaller? and if you are into running basically street only, or want a micro-drive/gears type setup, you could check out the SuperStreet guide, but it's more expensive since it comes with a special chainwheel. just another option, but I'd still put my money down on the 32special or the LG-1 mod.
    Schralp it Heavy.