mtbr member
    Jun 2008

We need your help!!!

The city of Raleigh, N.C., is building a concrete skatepark, and as it stands now. bikes will not be allowed. what we need from you is to sign this petition allowing bikes in to the parks.

http://bmxnc.petitionhost.com/

Please sign and post this on any local biking websites and forums that you know of. I will post a website showing pics of the park in progress later. Thank you all !!!!
    I don't have a funny sig yet.

is down to roll...
    I think the most effective way of gaining access to skateparks is to approach Park n' Rec dept. officials, staff and board members. Once they see that the bike group is organized and responsible, they'll be more open to granting park access. Find out when the park meetings take place. Be aware that some meetings are for sub-committees while others are more general. Gather your fellow local bikers and attend the meeting, making sure to speak at the appropriate time.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    show up, politely explain that your group is interested and what needs to be done to get access allowed/what concerns they have. i know in some place the insurance is higher if they allow bikes, or they think bikes tear everything up and make it too rough for skaters, or they fear mixing the two and feel that speed/control differences will cause lots of collisions. if you can find out why they don't want to allow bikes, you can more easily work towards getting them allowed.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/