Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Want to dirt jump

I have a Specialized Rockhopper M4. I am wanting to get into mild dirt jumping and more technical MTB riding. Pretty much jumping over logs and dirt hills. I also have a 24" haro bmx that will be good for more packed/dry dirt. So far I find the tires on the MTB are crap, grips useless and since I am very tiny, the fork is also useless for me. I was thinking of getting some Kenda Excavator tires or WTB motorapters for the muddy conditions, Ritchie grips or maybe OURY grips? Opinions? (I'm a girl so the pink appeals to me.) And upgrading to a Marzocchi 44 air fork, not the dirt jumper. I dont think the spring fork will do me since I weigh under 100 lbs and tiny.

Is it worth the upgrade or will the frame not hold mild dirt jumping? I wont do anything over 5 feet. I know the components wont last as I just had to straighten the disk brake, but I'll upgrade as needed.

I am placing an order tomorrow so any input is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The geometry on that frame isn't so great for DJ. However it will work....Just be prepared to replace things.....As I'm sure you'll break things....especially in the gear department. I would suggest not buying anything for that bike and saving your money and getting a proper DJ bike....maybe even one with a rigid fork?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have a haro race 24" BMX that I plan on doing DJ more so in the packed dirt. I find that bike more fun. But for the logs and trails, bigger wheels work better. Its more jumping over things. I need a 26" bike since I ride it to work too and its faster for singletrack riding I might mess with too. So would it be worth that or should I just seriously look into a different bike? My BMX is going to be set mostly just for DJ and my MTB I want to do singletrack and mild jumping over rocks/logs, roots. But the fork is crap for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Do you have any extra money? I would definitely consider getting a bike specifically for DJ if you have the cash. You can't get a bike that does everything (that does everything well at least).

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I work now in a bike shop so I could get a Gary Fisher Mullet or maybe the Scott Voltage since I get a good discount on those. I want something to ride the trails too as there are fun rocks and logs to jump and technical stuff. I want a bike that I can sit on for the trails. Should I stick more with the BMX for DJ and make this bike more trail friendly or will I trash it? Seems like the rockhopper is more like a gentle trail bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The Rockhopper is a XC bike. Which generally means nothing too crazy....less than 2 foot drops. I would get a Voltage if you can. That is a sweet bike. Keep the Rockhopper for your trail riding and get the Voltage for jumping and even urban if you're into it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Could the voltage do trails too? The shock is useless and its uncomfortable for the rocks and roots. I stand up a lot so dont need rear suspension. But between the grips and suspension that sticks for me, its not a smooth ride on trails. Then again, I am getting better at uni, I think I would like to jump with a bike and do trails later with a muni. Would the BMX be better or the a DJ MTB?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I suppose you could use the voltage for trails. It has more aggressive geometry than your typical XC bike but I don't see why you couldn't use it for some XC. I just wouldn't recommend all day trips on the bike. I have a DJ/Urban singlespeed and I've taken it on long XC trips before and it wasn't too much fun. lol. I much prefer a geared trail bike for longer trips.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Also...what other brands does your LBS carry? Everyone seems to like the P Series of bikes from Specialized. I've never ridden one but I hear good things about them....and also the Giant STP series. Those are two decently reviewed DJ bikes.

mtbr member
    I weigh under 100 lbs
    EndersShadow, you got to remember that she isn't to be stressing the Hardrock DJing like a even a smaller guy would. And its not like it is a weightweenie bike to start off with, bikes in that price range are not concerned with being light they are almost always overbuilt for the intended purpose. If it were a carbon S Works Stumpy HT I would think differently.
    Its not ideal but it is a good jump off point to see if DJing is something she would be interested in with out dropping a ton of money and losing the ability to have a good XC AM general trail bike.

cstone
    I would upgrade as you see fit and if DJing is something that you are really in to then swap the frame for DJ specific. Side note how tall are you? A 26in DJ bike could possibly be to long in the TT for you any way

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowjeep
    EndersShadow, you got to remember that she isn't to be stressing the Hardrock DJing like a even a smaller guy would. And its not like it is a weightweenie bike to start off with, bikes in that price range are not concerned with being light they are almost always overbuilt for the intended purpose. If it were a carbon S Works Stumpy HT I would think differently.
    Its not ideal but it is a good jump off point to see if DJing is something she would be interested in with out dropping a ton of money and losing the ability to have a good XC AM general trail bike.

cstone
    I would upgrade as you see fit and if DJing is something that you are really in to then swap the frame for DJ specific. Side note how tall are you? A 26in DJ bike could possibly be to long in the TT for you any way
    Which would be why I suggested a DJ with a rigid fork.

Hail Satin!
    Well you can dirt jump a road bike if you want. Just not that good of an idea.
    If you are asking if you can hit the odd stair case, or catch a little air every now and again.
    Then yeah that bike is fine. The frames are pretty burley and can take a beating. I had one of them (hard rock) and it took a dememted night on the jump box to kill it (think 8' air to flat) You WILL snap a derailer hanger or two. So keep them in stock. And just for reference I am 5'11" and 185#

But if you really want to try dirt jumping maybe you should just try using the cruiser, or maybe a 20".
    In the great Ford vs Chevy debate, I choose Porsche.

Hail Satin!
    Oh PS. My wife is 5'3" and 95#s and I had a bear of a time finding springs for her bikes suspension. We almost went with air. Also you could try the ladies lounge section of the forums.
    In the great Ford vs Chevy debate, I choose Porsche.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Well I'm barely 5'1". I also broke my arm last summer skating, fell 10 feet so not planning on doing anything higher then 5 feet MAX. I dont want to shatter my arm again lol. I just seem to like a rush. So now I want to jump on my bike.

Thats why going with air fork. I know the spring wont do much for a 2 digit girl.

The voltage does come with gears btw. I could just try some bigger/burly tires and grips and see if that works OK for now for shock. I do have a 24" BMX and could use that for jumps where there arent major big twigs. I'm built like a twig so really its the rocks and twigs that are going to snap things I think.

At work we carry Giant, Rocky Mountain, Scott, and Gary Fisher. I could get a frame later...... But if I have to replace all the components/new fork, etc. might be just the same to get a better bike.

mtbr member
    How about the Giant Brass SX? It looks like an interesting bike, something that might be worth upgrading in the long run.
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...in/2340/32141/

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Dangit, I wish I knew some cool girls that would go do some urban with me, but whatever...

I just bought the Giant STP SS and love it. I decided I wanted one after tearing up campus jumping off of stuff on my GF Wahoo. I realized if I kept doing that, my Wahoo was going to fall apart lol. But I'm 5'10" 200# and I was doing about 2.5ft drops on my Wahoo, and didn't break the frame, the wheels are crap now though :P But I'm sure at your weight your Hardrock with get you by for now and let you figure out if you really want to get into DJ. On my end of the scale though, I need a stronger spring for my STP. My fat arse keeps bottoming it out.
    Bikes represent the mentality that the world is a place meant to be explored and enjoyed

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I dont know any girls that do this stuff either much lol. I skate vert and usually its only me out there. Thats why I want the oury soft pink grips so people know girls can do this too! But I cant find the soft pink.

Anyway spoke to the bike mechanic that specializes in BMX, DJ, freeride, XC stuff. He knows I order stuff through my shop so know hes not going to sell me crap. For me I am actually too small really for the 26" DJ bikes. My top tube is 20" and thats fine for me. 21" length would be too big. For dry packed areas, I have my BMX. There arent any serious dirt jump places here so my bike is OK he said. The trails here are seriously rocky, rooty and twiggy on some, so a 24" wont do on some trails. The DJ bikes would be heavier so harder for me to lift since I'm tiny. So for the trails I really want to be able to jump OVER and off things so he said to focus on being a weight wienie for the MTB. So getting the WTB MotoRaptor 2.14, a manitou 100mm travel fork since I found out thats all my bike will take. Seems like its ideal for lighter riders and the spring DJ forks wouldnt work for me. Can afford a carbon riser handlebar since he said I can do this at my weight. Everything is a go! So my MTB will be more serious trails and BMX is for dirt jump. I really need to get good on the bunny hops cause I gotta be able to jump over the logs, not on and over them. I wanna hop like 2 feet in the air lol. So now my front end will be light and I'll be the coolest/hottest girl on the trails. I'm going to check out this dirt place with the rolling hills for my BMX if it every stops raining.

He also said that for components, all break. So just replace as needed. So Saints arent better?

So wont be hard core but I'll be the coolest girl on a bike round here. I'll let you know how it goes.....

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Stay away from pink and white grips, they end up gross...

Quote Originally Posted by cstone
    So now my front end will be light and I'll be the coolest/hottest girl on the trails.

pics or you're not

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan97
    pics or you're not
    +1

Here are a bunch of pink ourys http://www.google.com/products?q=pin...num=1&ct=title

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The only cool action shots I have are of me skating so here I am and as you can tell, dont stick out as a girl lol. I dont have any bike pics, just my learning to uni vid lol. I think I'm cool as what girls can do this?

The bowl I broke my arm in.

So pink grips not a good idea?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Go for the pink Oury's! And make these fools post pictures of themselves up too so you can decide if they are hot or not.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JGill
    Go for the pink Oury's! And make these fools post pictures of themselves up too so you can decide if they are hot or not.
    +1 I'd like some hot pics.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Well I would post and let you decide on me, but I don't have any pics of me on my STP tearing it, lol. I need to get more friends who do urban and bring a camera, I fly solo on the streets for the most part.
    Bikes represent the mentality that the world is a place meant to be explored and enjoyed

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Well, if get a good manual or bunny hop going, I'll find someone to take a pic as being a girl I'm then automatically hot lol.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Props on the skating though. Haven't seen anyone bust that out in years!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast